Semi-scale BR: The Modernisation Plan

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Semi-scale BR: The Modernisation Plan

Post by BertieB » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:56 pm

locos_0626_2SB.jpg
locos_0626_2SB.jpg (530.19 KiB) Viewed 4693 times
Permanently equipped with appropriate Deltang/Micron !

I haven’t quite worked my way through the list of cosmetic tidy-ups but at least variously appropriate Deltang / Micron receivers have now been installed in everything that isn’t actually in bits on a shelf somewhere upstairs. I no longer have to swap the receivers around.

Pannier_6_LR_2.gif
Pannier_6_LR_2.gif (2.3 MiB) Viewed 4673 times
Just testing

The garden is looking rather sad though, which makes sitting outside in the evening with toy trains on the go, a little less pleasing. It’s been quite hot, with negligible rain and the soil is rock hard — you might as well tend the ‘flower beds’ with a pickaxe. The greenery is generally not green at all and not looking too healthy. Watering, not actually illegal yet, appears to just sit on the surface till evaporated — I don’t suppose much of the stuff I planted earlier in the year will survive. Harrumph.

grass_0614_1SB.jpg
grass_0614_1SB.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4693 times
The ‘lawn’

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:03 pm

This drought is hell in the Nortwest...
IMG_20220804_095511297-01.jpeg
IMG_20220804_095511297-01.jpeg (3.64 MiB) Viewed 4647 times
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:03 pm This drought is hell in the Nortwest...
:Baaaa
Philip

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:27 pm

The grass will come back. It looks crispy and dead but that's nature's way!
Monty Don (of Gardener's World fame) reckons to give shrubs etc a good soaking once a week so the water percolates down deep rather than dribbling a bit on every night. My wife agrees with him so he must be right!

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:35 am

invicta280 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:27 pm The grass will come back. It looks crispy and dead but that's nature's way!
Monty Don (of Gardener's World fame) reckons to give shrubs etc a good soaking once a week so the water percolates down deep rather than dribbling a bit on every night. My wife agrees with him so he must be right!
Agreed about the grass recovery...eventually.
However Monty has what he continually describes as "heavy clay soil" but that he can push a spade into with one hand. A week without water on mine and a Kango struggles!
Philip

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:08 am

I finally managed the pilgrimage to the Spa Valley Railway — between covid and cancelled and/or rescheduled holidays and travel — for a solitary orgy of Thumper noise and Harvey’s Best Bitter. It was another quiet, lovely day but I was surprised to find that, sadly, my iPhone videos suffered from intrusive wind noise, so there’s not much useable audio from the trip (which had been a key reason for going). But parked in a siding, they also had a (particularly tired, scabby-looking) 33, the next project…

SVR_0529_1S.jpg
SVR_0529_1S.jpg (593.62 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
Exquisite, distressed signage and typography

207_0544_1S.jpg
207_0544_1S.jpg (561.7 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
Class 207: swoon! (According to legend, first years should travel in the luggage racks)

Mk1_0514_1S.jpg
Mk1_0514_1S.jpg (591.67 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
Steam hauled, restored Mk1: fabulously comfy. Shame about the plastic glass

33_0667_1S.jpg
33_0667_1S.jpg (619.89 KiB) Viewed 5159 times
Cabs under attack from filler-primer, plastic putty, several grades of sandpaper; roof parts, not yet. Motorblock artfully placed so you can’t read my notes

May 2021 and Angr607, on this very forum, introduced the 3D print & acrylic, Gauge 1, Class 33 kit from Bowaters Models and, a pleasant surprise, accepted my request to knock out a scaled-up version at 1:27 (to sit with my existing, oddly proportioned fleet).

It’s been my first experience of large 3D printed components and in attempting to deal with the characteristic striation, I’ll admit to being a little heavy handed with filler and subsequent vigorous sanding. I’m modifying the kit to accommodate Piko motorblocks and it will be battery powered with Loco Remote control.

Ideally, to sit with my green coaches, it should be turned out in the original, disagreeable dark green and off-white livery. I can’t face doing one of those, though. Trouble is, so many of the Class 33 liveries seem to have been specifically conceived to make them appear as ugly as possible — have you seen the Network SE effort? Wow! You’ll notice from the snap I’m toying with alternatives that may not be historically correct.

The kit offers a great opportunity for anyone up for serious, OTT weathering though. I particularly remember rail blue versions becoming especially grotty (as we would have said at the tIme) with tatty, dented, flimsy-looking, bodywork panels and miserably faded paintwork: fit and finish you might expect to see at the allotment. Even when quite recently overhauled and repainted they soon seemed to get offensively grubby, too. There are plenty of photos online of horribly scruffy examples.

However. Construction of the kit — which is somewhat semi-scale (that’s fine with me) — is very straightforward and offers plenty of scope to get carried away detailing it, should you so wish. I wasn’t wildly enthusiastic about the appearance of the real ones back in the day but I guess I’ll just have to learn to love them.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:09 pm

I do like that 33... I know we've been here before and disagree, but I LOVE the 33 aesthetic, even in fading blue - the Swanage Railway's one crops up on their webcam sometimes and sea air's definitely getting to the bodywork, but it makes me nostalgic... I reckon they look best in green, with small yellow panels, but also like 'em in "Dutch" livery and Railfreight Construction, as they appeared when I used to watch them double-head Channel Tunnekl construction trains through Foots Cray...

I must get to the Spa Valley sometime, it looks wonderful. I wouldn't admit to it, but although I've never sat in the luggage rack of a Thumper, it's possible that I may know what it's like to ride to London in the luggage rack of an EPB, drinking cheap lager as a precurser to a night out in New Cross. And even that I've been married to a fellow luggage rack drinker for over twenty years...

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:48 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:09 pm “…a night out in New Cross”
I like the all-over ‘freight grey’ livery on 33s (though I’d never be able to make a decent 3D double-arrow logo for the cab side), similarly, I think the ‘sectorisation’ freight livery design is inspired — but, weirdly, I don’t think I ever saw either of these on a 33 at the time they were current. There’s loads still to do before I need worry about painting but right now I’m tempted to go freelance.

To disguise the 33’s dodgy aesthetics, I think the key thing is — the extended, cab window surround has to be black (not off-white, cream, yellow, maroon or anything else). The ‘grey, red stripe, large logo freight’ and ‘rail blue, large logo’ liveries both look really neat (on other locomotives) but I believe neither were applied to 33s. Perhaps just because the body side windows get in the way? Well, I think we might be getting the chaps at Eastleigh to take a look at it…

I have, in the distant past, spent perhaps more time than was strictly necessary, in seedy south London nitespots, venturing to Deptford, grotty parts of Greenwich, Charlton, even Woolwich(!) — but New Cross… You win!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:52 pm

BertieB wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:48 pm
Andrew wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:09 pm “…a night out in New Cross”
I have, in the distant past, spent perhaps more time than was strictly necessary, in seedy south London nitespots, venturing to Deptford, grotty parts of Greenwich, Charlton, even Woolwich(!) — but New Cross… You win!
Was there a nightclub in Woolwich?! I was born there and, although I never lived there, my last job before I moved to Bristol was working in Woolwich public library, which was an experience. The readers and staff used to wind each other up into a state of apoplectic rage, at which point one or other party would send for The Manager. Alas, that was me...

New Cross was (and maybe still is) home to The Venue, a gloriously grotty club where "The Only Living Boy in New Cross" by Carter USM was an unsurprising favourite on the dancefloor - I still have a huge fondness for it. For those with a liking for 90s pop punk, here it is: https://youtu.be/imcSt2HyzEo

And, for those who'd prefer to stick to the trains, New Cross's other claim to fame is that it was the birthplace of the Ffestiniog's "England" locos: https://www.georgeengland.org/about-george-england

Ooh, and it was a terminus of the East London Line, which has an interesting history toohttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_London_line:

OK, back to work, I think!

Andrew

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:39 pm

BertieB wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:08 am I finally managed the pilgrimage to the Spa Valley Railway — between covid and cancelled and/or rescheduled holidays and travel — for a solitary orgy of Thumper noise and Harvey’s Best Bitter.
Great railway, great beer. I was last there last September when there was a Class 33 and I picked up a s/h copy of Branchline to Southwold at Groombridge station...

Andrew wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:09 pm I wouldn't admit to it, but although I've never sat in the luggage rack of a Thumper, it's possible that I may know what it's like to ride to London in the luggage rack of an EPB, drinking cheap lager as a precurser to a night out in New Cross. And even that I've been married to a fellow luggage rack drinker for over twenty years...
:bravo

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:38 am

Andrew wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:52 pm “Was there a nightclub in Woolwich?!”
I didn’t know of one. The place I recall (mid 70s) was the Tramshed which did gigs and comedy. Haven’t been there since. And anyway, ‘when I was a lad, etc, etc…’ I think most clubs did live music. Not what they later became, post punk — and nowhere near as many. (Great song and video, by the way)

The DLR and new rail links have transformed public transport to the far reaches of south east London (and beyond). Woolwich used to seem to me like the end of the earth — whereas New Cross was the stop on the 53 and 36B bus routes!

For a while I used to come and go via the foot tunnel (or sometimes the Woolwich ferry) and a bus to East Ham (north of the river). Parts of the bus journey were pretty grim: derelict and depressing. The docks were just about closed, I suppose, though there were still large ships in the King George V docks opposite Woolwich. I dimly recall a pub, where the surrounding terraced houses had all gone. And people still went to it. I did!

SimonWood wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:39 pm “Great railway, great beer. I was last there last September when there was a Class 33…”
Neat example, thank you. It appears to be in all-over freight grey — and it looks smart and in good nick. Andrew will like this view particularly, as it highlights the 33’s ‘round face’.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:53 pm

BertieB wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:38 am The DLR and new rail links have transformed public transport to the far reaches of south east London (and beyond). Woolwich used to seem to me like the end of the earth
Alas, we sold our house in neighbouring Plumstead just before that happened!
BertieB wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:38 am For a while I used to come and go via the foot tunnel (or sometimes the Woolwich ferry) and a bus to East Ham (north of the river). Parts of the bus journey were pretty grim: derelict and depressing. The docks were just about closed, I suppose, though there were still large ships in the King George V docks opposite Woolwich. I dimly recall a pub, where the surrounding terraced houses had all gone. And people still went to it. I did!
I remember that journey well, from the late 70s/early 80s. My Nan lived in East Ham (where my Dad grew up), so we'd take the 89 from Bexleyheath to Woolwich, then the tunnel or ferry to North Woolwich. Both were equally exciting to a small boy - I thought the uniformed operators of the wood-paneled lifts were like Gods... From there it was the 101 bus to Plaistow. You got a good view of the semi-derelict docks from the top deck, and sometimes saw a train on the industrial Silvertown Tramway, which (I think) served Tate and Lyle plus various scrapyards, maybe some other factories too.

I sometimes feel a little bad that we didn't honour my Dad's (probably tongue-in-cheek?!) wishes and scatter his ashes onto the track at North Woolwich station...
BertieB wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:38 am Neat example, thank you. It appears to be in all-over freight grey — and it looks smart and in good nick. Andrew will like this view particularly, as it highlights the 33’s ‘round face’.
I do. I always think the 33s look kind and friendly. It's possible I'm a little soft...

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:18 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:53 pm I do. I always think the 33s look kind and friendly. It's possible I'm a little soft...
You have a point. There was a class 31 on the other end. Now there's a loco that looks like it got out of bed on the wrong side...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:22 pm

SimonWood wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:18 pm
Now there's a loco that looks like it got out of bed on the wrong side...
Or out of shed even. As in through the back wall...

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:52 pm

33_0758_800_1.jpg
33_0758_800_1.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 4823 times

I’m taking a few liberties with it, of course, but it’s coming along quite nicely, I think (unlike the garden).

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:23 pm

SimonWood wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:18 pm

You have a point. There was a class 31 on the other end. Now there's a loco that looks like it got out of bed on the wrong side...

Now I like 31's. 47's & 31's and 20's are/were my favourite looking diseasels.
Philip

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:14 pm

1_33_0822_800_SB.jpg
1_33_0822_800_SB.jpg (397.03 KiB) Viewed 4625 times
It must be the first example of the 33/3 variant: there are a number of detail differences

The first thing I attempted was to mildly reshape the cab roofs, which didn’t seem quite ‘round’ enough to me (or to Andrew, I would imagine). It doesn’t seem to have made much difference though.

And the kit’s bogie sides, unfortunately, don’t match the wheelbase of the Piko motor blocks I chose to use, so I cast all four in resin from a rather clumsy, late night, adaptation of one of the 3D print originals. I ought to do it again really, more carefully.

Otherwise, I’ve tarted the 33 up a little, with cheerfully approximated detail (I’m going for 'early 60s train set' again), which nonetheless I hope will help achieve quite an imposing model. It’s quite big, almost 600mm, which is splendid — and width and height are exactly according to my established loading gauge! Placed alongside my scratch-built stuff, however, it looks a little delicate, as though it ought to be say, five per cent bigger (clearly the kit’s proportions are more accurate than mine tend to be). Still far from finished, obviously.

I’d happily recommend the kit — and the fun you can have ‘embellishing’ it. It’s not dirt cheap and there’s very little in the way of detail or cosmetic enhancement included but you do get a lot of locomotive for your money. More please!

Please can you do me a Western next? Or a 37?

2_33_0868_800_SB.jpg
2_33_0868_800_SB.jpg (443.03 KiB) Viewed 4625 times
It appears to be running on unique, heavy duty bogies, especially imported from Illinois — I’m hoping that dull black paint might deal with that, or the razor saw

3_33_0820_800_SB.jpg
3_33_0820_800_SB.jpg (397.39 KiB) Viewed 4625 times

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:55 pm

BertieB wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:14 pm
The first thing I attempted was to mildly reshape the cab roofs, which didn’t seem quite ‘round’ enough to me (or to Andrew, I would imagine). It doesn’t seem to have made much difference though.
I do see what you mean, but overall it looks right to me - that distinctive window shape's spot on. I like it!

BertieB wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:14 pm
Please can you do me a Western next? Or a 37?
Or a "Hymek"? Or Class 22 "Baby Warship"???

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:09 pm

Having just been reading the last few posts on this thread which I had previously missed I found the subject matter very entertaining with its eclectic mix of links and references to George England lcomotives, Sarf London nitespots and Gingerline trains!

I have to admit that every time I drive past The Venue I marvel at how someone managed to clean all that matt black paint off it!

The jury is definitely out for me on class 33 aesthetics. If they were the only locos on the Southern apart from 71's and 74's I Would probably like them but alongside the elegant and understated 73's and the more modern traction they look to my eye... well, a bit fat and jolly.
Chacun a son gout as they say in France!

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:34 am

A compilation video: Best of Toy Trains in the Back Garden vol.16

This is also in the Video section, as it should be. But it’s here too, hoping to catch people like me, who wander round the forum late at night with their best headphones on. You never know.

[edit: It’s 16 (XVI) despite what it says in the opening titles. I’m losing my marbles]