The Railway in the Valley of the Mill

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
philipy

Re: The Railway in the Valley of the Mill

Post by philipy » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:01 pm

That last picture of the station from low level is simply superb. You must repeat that shot once everything has settled down and weathered in, it will be difficult to tell it from the real thing.
Philip

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:26 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:26 pm The buildings look magnificent on site, you are making excellent progress, particularly at this time of year!
Thanks Peter!

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:34 am

The weather has broken for a few days - we are getting drizzle here at the moment, so progress is temporarily slowed down!

I managed to start to recover the tunnel before it got wet, and to select some rocks from the pile to start the cuttings leading to the down hill end of the tunnel:
IMG_2756.JPG
IMG_2756.JPG (3.27 MiB) Viewed 3681 times
The other end of the tunnel is quite bare at the moment:
IMG_2753.JPG
IMG_2753.JPG (3.09 MiB) Viewed 3681 times
All that soil I pulled onto an "embankment" needs sorting out - some will go over the tunnel, and some will remain as a reduced embankment ready to take the plastic shuttering for the next length of trackbed leading along the bank. I had envisioned the embankment having a stone facing and the brickwork of the tunnel being hidden under stonework as well.

Trevor

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:14 pm

That's worked out well, Trevor.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:21 pm

ge_rik wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:14 pm That's worked out well, Trevor.
Having seen it in person, I can confirm it definitely has worked out well. And the printed Tanygrisiau building is just incredible - it just looks so good in situ.

I’ve taken a few more photos of the RVOM.
Last edited by SimonWood on Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:30 am

That building does indeed look excellent

I couldn't get your link to work

https://photos.simonwood.info/index?/ca ... ruary_2023

Rik
------------------------

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:47 am

ge_rik wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:30 am I couldn't get your link to work

Thanks Rik I think I have fixed it (I stuck some unneeded quote marks in the BBcode). It should work now?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:56 am

SimonWood wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:47 am
ge_rik wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:30 am I couldn't get your link to work

Thanks Rik I think I have fixed it (I stuck some unneeded quote marks in the BBcode). It should work now?
Perfect!

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:19 am

Glad it wasn't just me that couldn't see them, but sorted now and well worth the wait. Thank you.

The head-on shot of the train coming into the station is just perfect and exactly what I was hoping for when I said earlier that we needed a low level shot like that. :D
Having said that, the picture of the train on the viaduct with Ddualt in the background across the valley is absolutely the pick of the crop ( IMO of course!). I could sit and look at that picture all day, it says everything about garden railways and Trevor's achievements. :D :thumbleft: :salute:
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:30 am

philipy wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:19 am Glad it wasn't just me that couldn't see them, but sorted now and well worth the wait. Thank you.

The head-on shot of the train coming into the station is just perfect and exactly what I was hoping for when I said earlier that we needed a low level shot like that. :D
Having said that, the picture of the train on the viaduct with Ddualt in the background across the valley is absolutely the pick of the crop ( IMO of course!). I could sit and look at that picture all day, it says everything about garden railways and Trevor's achievements. :D :thumbleft: :salute:
Yep! Lovely photos of a lovely railway, thanks for sharing!

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:49 am

That’s a great set of pictures, as well as it all looking beautifully built and finished.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:52 pm

Wow those photos went down well!

All of those positive comments are very encouraging. Much appreciated.

I have been working on the extension again, and the approaches to the tunnel are now fairly complete:
IMG_2774.JPG
IMG_2774.JPG (5.76 MiB) Viewed 3434 times
the up hill end of the tunnel is completed and I am ready to continue with the track bed:
IMG_2775.JPG
IMG_2775.JPG (4.76 MiB) Viewed 3434 times
Trevor

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:59 pm

IMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG (3.09 MiB) Viewed 3417 times

Clara on her maiden run arriving at Tanygrisiau.

More about her to appear in my layout thread shortly,

Phil
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=13912

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:14 am

That is just phenomenal.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:31 pm

The visuals throughout your line are superb, and Simon has made excellent use of them with the photos he's taken. The picture of Dduallt gives an indication of how Tanygrisiau will mellow and become a stunning feature. Where to on the continuation though? Are we going to be seeing Blaneau station in all its glory, with a mainline interchange? I'm really looking forward to seeing you progress.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:32 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:31 pm The visuals throughout your line are superb, and Simon has made excellent use of them with the photos he's taken. The picture of Dduallt gives an indication of how Tanygrisiau will mellow and become a stunning feature. Where to on the continuation though? Are we going to be seeing Blaneau station in all its glory, with a mainline interchange? I'm really looking forward to seeing you progress.
Thanks for the positive comments! Perhaps I shouldn't say it - but I aim pleased with what I have created. Even Dinah seems impressed - and she was quite un-enthusiastic when I started.

I have already started to draw the final station for the line, and you are not far off in your guess. Not the interchange station but Duffws station. I envisage the lean too sheds for the quarry workers train at the back, with cottages behind, and the goods shed and that rather posh station building in the middle. I haven't quite worked out how to get the goods shed and station building into the foreground without having to reach over them to get to trains. The best I can come up with is those buildings at either end and the rails between them.

I have also started to make the bridge which will cross the steps by the greenhouse, based on Pont -y- Gelli on the line to Llan Ffestiniog.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:44 pm

The track is now laid into the tunnel:
IMG_2799.JPG
IMG_2799.JPG (3.98 MiB) Viewed 3555 times
and ready to extend out of the tunnel:
IMG_2801.JPG
IMG_2801.JPG (4.16 MiB) Viewed 3555 times
The next section will involve concrete steps, and stainless angle laid into the concrete steps again - just like those crossings further down the line. As a technique it has been quite successful. Sturdy enough to take wheelbarrows, reliable and no bridge to obstruct the passage. As a detail I have added some long sleepers to the length of track which goes in the tunnel:
IMG_2781.JPG
IMG_2781.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 3555 times
Every 4th sleeper is long enough to almost touch each side inside the tunnel. This is how it looks when laid:
IMG_2804.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG (2.47 MiB) Viewed 3555 times
The idea is that that track in the tunnel is not held in place or ballasted - it is just sitting there - and the long sleepers are to keep it sitting in the middle of the tunnel - rather than creep to one side. I am hoping that will be sufficient to hold it in place.

Trevor

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:51 pm

I would have thought a little ballast would not be a bad thing?
Though I suppose it could hold moisture?

Just thinking it might 'lift' when the rest of the track gets hot. It would then drop, when a loco passes over, but probably lift with just stock. Might this cause uncoupling?

Phil.P

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:59 am

Phil.P wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:51 pm I would have thought a little ballast would not be a bad thing?
Though I suppose it could hold moisture?

Just thinking it might 'lift' when the rest of the track gets hot. It would then drop, when a loco passes over, but probably lift with just stock. Might this cause uncoupling?

Phil.P
You may well be correct. I just want to avoid problems with the ballast getting into the flange way. If it doesn't work I will have to think again.

The last set of track I ballasted has quite a few places where the flanges ride on the ballast and not the rail, and I need to clean that out when its a bit warmer. I want to avoid having that problem in the tunnel.

Trevor

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:03 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:44 pm The track is now laid into the tunnel:

IMG_2799.JPG

and ready to extend out of the tunnel:

IMG_2801.JPG

The next section will involve concrete steps, and stainless angle laid into the concrete steps again - just like those crossings further down the line. As a technique it has been quite successful. Sturdy enough to take wheelbarrows, reliable and no bridge to obstruct the passage. As a detail I have added some long sleepers to the length of track which goes in the tunnel:

IMG_2781.JPG

Every 4th sleeper is long enough to almost touch each side inside the tunnel. This is how it looks when laid:

IMG_2804.JPG

The idea is that that track in the tunnel is not held in place or ballasted - it is just sitting there - and the long sleepers are to keep it sitting in the middle of the tunnel - rather than creep to one side. I am hoping that will be sufficient to hold it in place.

Trevor
Clever idea! I think it will work well.

Rik
------------------------