The Railway in the Valley of the Mill

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Jbs
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: The Railway in the Valley of the Mill

Post by Jbs » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:56 am

Trevor,
You might get away with a low wall between the line and the bank, not back filled. Lay weed control fabric between the wall and up to and around the apple trees at the top of the bank over the grass. Pierce the fabric at intervals for planting a low growing shrub. I have used lonicera nitida Baggesons Gold (not sure of spelling)which is a low growing variety and I trim mine twice a year with a long hedge trimmer. As the lonicera grows, it soon covers the spacing required between plants and is cheapest buying as rooted cuttings around this time of the year. Lonicera also makes a good embankment on raised track when appropriately trimmed.
Might be a solution for you and is a bit less work than digging up all the grass. I have covered grass with the fabric and laid gravel over the top with good results. The grass just dies under the covering.
Regards
John
Regards,

John Smith

Harrogate

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:45 am

Oh!

I never thought I would get away with that!

That sounds like it might be worth a try.

and thanks for the tip on the rooted cuttings.

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:42 pm

Jbs wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:56 am lonicera nitida Baggesons Gold (not sure of spelling)which is a low growing variety and I trim mine twice a year with a long hedge trimmer. As the lonicera grows, it soon covers the spacing required between plants and is cheapest buying as rooted cuttings around this time of the year.
Good idea John. Only thing is that Baggesons Gold isn't really low growing and needs to be trimmed at least a couple of times a year, as you said. I have some that has got mixed in with honeysuckle in the fence at the back of my line and where it doesn't get trimmed, it is now over 6ft tall!
Even cheaper than buying bare root cuttings is rooting your own! Simply take 6-8" prunings and stick them in some compost. Keep them watered and in a few months, depending on the time of year, they will root and can be transplanted to wherever. I've actually gota number of self-rooted bushes that have grown by themselves from bits that didn't get picked when I trimmed the bushes. I think they will also multiply by 'layering' although I've never tried that.
Philip

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:48 pm

I know I have got you all thinking about plants!

However I took these photos this morning after removing all the clamps and I had to share them!
IMG_1778.jpg
IMG_1778.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 2796 times
IMG_1776.jpg
IMG_1776.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 2796 times
Its finished apart from the track, which will incorporate the walkway and handrail. Of course it needs treating with wood preservative, and the landscaping needs sorting out - but its raining hard.

Trevor

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:05 pm

That is so impressive Trevor, particularly the view looking up at the structure. You have wasted no time in completing it either, despite the weather!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:23 pm

That is simply amazing. Very very well done.
Really looking forward to seeing a train going round that!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:31 am

philipy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:23 pm That is simply amazing. Very very well done.
My thoughts exactly. Especially if the video is taken from the angle of that final photo.

Rik
PS - I can just visualise a mountain stream tumbling down over rocks inside that big loop :D
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:53 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:31 am
philipy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:23 pm That is simply amazing. Very very well done.
My thoughts exactly. Especially if the video is taken from the angle of that final photo.

Rik
PS - I can just visualise a mountain stream tumbling down over rocks inside that big loop :D
Yes I see what you mean! that gap in the middle is just made for a steam to go through it.

Trevor

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:23 pm

The trestle is looking very good :thumbup: Some suitably dramatic landscaping of the slope will really set it off.
Going back to your embankment, what about trying various plantings in small sections to see which works best/fastest/cheapest before committing to one option? Another plant to try may be a ground covering Sedum, and/or a ground cover Thyme. Both are doing well in areas of my garden, which is NW facing.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:00 pm

Many thanks for all the encouraging comments on the viaduct.

Sedums certainly work on our green roofs, over my workshop for example, but they took a while to get going. Dinah, my other half, likes herbs so the thyme is certainly possible. Of course the area involved is large and there is scope for different plants in different areas - or at different heights.

She has been using wild strawberries to cover a bank in work and is keen to try the same here.

We have also planted a few Cotton Easter plants, one of which is doing really well, and 2 of which got lost in the grass - and of course I ended up striming them, much to her annoyance! I think the real issue it to cover the bank with membrane and plant enough plants to allow them to cover it in a sensible period of time - I mean before the grass gets back.

I am also going to try raising Cotton Easter from seed.

A number of comments mentioned water - and I have promised a pond - and I always intended to put it in the centre of the loop - so it could well go where the pile of rubble is at the moment, and feed a "stream" down through that central arch.

Trevor

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:30 am

I assume you are talking about "cotoneaster". If you know somebody that has the variety you want, their garden will be full of seedlings. I have to pull and throw hundreds away every year, it is a very prolific plant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:47 am

I'd be wary of wild strawberry, personally. It grows as a weed in my garden and I spend a fair bit of time trying to get rid of it. It is, shall we say, "prolific" .... but I tend to use another word each time I find its tendrils have infiltrated yet another bed.

Rik
------------------------

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:41 pm

Yes it was cotoneaster I meant - I just remembered it was spelt the way I wrote it, and forgot it was one word. Yes that is exactly what my wife said - or at least that she had taken the seeds of the one good plant do do just that with!

I suppose if wild strawberries spread like that they might have a chance against the grass. I don't really favour them anyway - we have some against the track by the terminus and when the strawberries encroach onto the track I get into trouble for cutting them back.

Onwards - the track approaches the viaduct. Next length will have check rails on the inside, and the longer sleepers to take the handrails:
IMG_1790.jpg
IMG_1790.jpg (3.96 MiB) Viewed 2747 times
Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:37 pm

Testing the track on the viaduct:
IMG_1813.jpg
IMG_1813.jpg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 2703 times
That is 2 yards laid and four more to go before we get back onto concrete trackbed.

Trevor

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:42 pm

Brave man ..... doing it without a safety net! :lol:

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:21 pm

I can't see how you've fitted the check rail - is it a double shoe or have you sliced part off the checkrail shoes? Either way it looks great. Looking forward to seeing it progressing.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:00 pm

I don't think there is much risk of it falling off, what with the check rail and the fairly level track with gentle curves. However I did try a battery loco first - and at various speeds.

The check rail is secured with special check rail chairs which have slots for both rails and at the correct distance apart. They are from Cliff Barker, as are all of the chairs, and I suppose are really intended for making points.

Trevor

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:47 pm

Been away from the forum for a few days and wow, what a sight to come back to! :salute:
A pond feeding a stream down the middle would be perfect.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:03 pm

I'd be inclined to give Box a miss - I've had my 6 or so Box bushes for over 15 years, but this year they were all ravaged by the evil Box Moth, as was every other bush n Bristol it seems. It can only be a matter of time before it flutters to West Wales...

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:04 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:03 pm I'd be inclined to give Box a miss - I've had my 6 or so Box bushes for over 15 years, but this year they were all ravaged by the evil Box Moth, as was every other bush n Bristol it seems. It can only be a matter of time before it flutters to West Wales...
Yes I thought box might not be a good idea.

Trevor