The Railway in the Valley of the Mill

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: The Railway in the Valley of the Mill

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 am

Many thanks for going to all that trouble Philip

Trevor

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 pm

At the Welsh Botanic Garden today in the Japanese garden I spotted Leptinella Squalida which is a low growing mat forming plant which might be suitable for the bank.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 am

gilfachphil wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 pm At the Welsh Botanic Garden today in the Japanese garden I spotted Leptinella Squalida which is a low growing mat forming plant which might be suitable for the bank.
I will have to look for that - its about time we visited again

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 am
gilfachphil wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 pm At the Welsh Botanic Garden today in the Japanese garden I spotted Leptinella Squalida which is a low growing mat forming plant which might be suitable for the bank.

Trevor
It's fairly widely available. I got two at different times, but neither have survived, don't know why. It comes in two different colours, a greenish one and a dark brownish purple colour.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:16 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am
Trevor Thompson wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 am

Trevor
It's fairly widely available. I got two at different times, but neither have survived, don't know why. It comes in two different colours, a greenish one and a dark brownish purple colour.
Looked this up and I have some, the spot in which it was planted died, but it has spread, and though difficult to see in the photo (it is the black variety) it is everywhere in just two years.
IMG_1264.jpg
IMG_1264.jpg (799.57 KiB) Viewed 3258 times

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:50 pm

Interesting picture Jimmy, which may explain why mine died. I planted it on open borders between lawn and track, whereas yours seems to be happy in the gaps between the rocks. If thats correct then I fear it won't like Trevor's big open bank.
Philip

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:15 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:50 pm Interesting picture Jimmy, which may explain why mine died. I planted it on open borders between lawn and track, whereas yours seems to be happy in the gaps between the rocks. If thats correct then I fear it won't like Trevor's big open bank.
Ah but that is interesting in another context. There are places where something like that could fill the gaps between rocks.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:19 pm

Going back to progress on extending the railway.

The track has now reached "dry land" at the other end of the viaduct:
IMG_1837.jpg
IMG_1837.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 3158 times
and I am thinking about the passing loop. The first point offered up to see if it fits:
IMG_1834.jpg
IMG_1834.jpg (4.09 MiB) Viewed 3158 times
Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:32 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:21 pm I can't see how you've fitted the check rail - is it a double shoe or have you sliced part off the checkrail shoes? Either way it looks great. Looking forward to seeing it progressing.
I have realised that I have actually made an error here. The check rail chairs that I have used are actually designed for G1. And for Course scale G1 at that. So the end result is that the gap between running rail and check rail is 3mm rather than the 2.5mm which seems correct for 32mm narrow gauge. Bit of a pity really all that effort and extra expense and it isn't correct. Too late now! However I have tried a few different vehicles on the viaduct and the check rail isn't far off touching the back of the flanges - particularly on 4 wheel stock. Perhaps since it is on a curve that brings the flanges closer to the rail - so perhaps it isn't an issue. If you look closely at the photo you should be able to see that the flange on this wagon is near enough touching the check rail:
IMG_1847.jpg
IMG_1847.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 3156 times
On the other hand it is an issue on the point. The wheels on test wagons just climb the frog - and its that 3mm gap which is the issue. So I am going to modify the point. I will cut through the middle of the check rail chairs (only 3 each side) and prize up the check rail. If I cut through with a cutting wheel in a dremel that should allow me to close the cut, and pin them down again at the correct spacing using a track gauge to make sure they go down in the correct position. I have noticed that if I cut off the bolt heads with a knife I can usually get a 0.9mm hole in the correct place and then use brass pins - the sort used for making model boats.
Last edited by Trevor Thompson on Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:37 pm

Testing the track on the viaduct:
IMG_1844.jpg
IMG_1844.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 3155 times
The first train to pass all the way from one end to the other.
IMG_1845.jpg
IMG_1845.jpg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 3155 times
and to arrive on dry land at the other end.

Next stop the passing loop and Dduallt station building.

Trevor

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:10 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:32 pm ....... the gap between running rail and check rail is 3mm rather than the 2.5mm which seems correct for 32mm narrow gauge.
Better that way round than vice versa ........ :?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:44 pm

On the point:
Could fit a thin brass shim, folded to slip over the check rail?

Something similar is often done on G scale track..

Phil.P

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:54 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:10 pm
Trevor Thompson wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:32 pm ....... the gap between running rail and check rail is 3mm rather than the 2.5mm which seems correct for 32mm narrow gauge.
Better that way round than vice versa ........ :?

Rik
Yes I think you are right. The more I think about it the more I am happy with it. I have been thinking about how a tight check rail might introduce lots of friction. Imagine a long train going uphill and all the wheels touching the check rail - that could be a lot of extra friction. So may be its just as well as it is.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:56 am

Phil.P wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:44 pm On the point:
Could fit a thin brass shim, folded to slip over the check rail?

Something similar is often done on G scale track..

Phil.P
That is an idea I hadn't come across. If I had fixed the point in place it would have been a good solution. Since it is still in the workshop I think I can move the check rail.

Trevor

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:03 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:32 pm
Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:21 pm I can't see how you've fitted the check rail - is it a double shoe or have you sliced part off the checkrail shoes? Either way it looks great. Looking forward to seeing it progressing.
I have realised that I have actually made an error here. The check rail chairs that I have used are actually designed for G1. And for Course scale G1 at that. So the end result is that the gap between running rail and check rail is 3mm rather than the 2.5mm which seems correct for 32mm narrow gauge. Bit of a pity really all that effort and extra expense and it isn't correct. Too late now! However I have tried a few different vehicles on the viaduct and the check rail isn't far off touching the back of the flanges - particularly on 4 wheel stock. Perhaps since it is on a curve that brings the flanges closer to the rail - so perhaps it isn't an issue. If you look closely at the photo you should be able to see that the flange on this wagon is near enough touching the check rail:

IMG_1847.jpg

On the other hand it is an issue on the point. The wheels on test wagons just climb the frog - and its that 3mm gap which is the issue. So I am going to modify the point. I will cut through the middle of the check rail chairs (only 3 each side) and prize up the check rail. If I cut through with a cutting wheel in a dremel that should allow me to close the cut, and pin them down again at the correct spacing using a track gauge to make sure they go down in the correct position. I have noticed that if I cut off the bolt heads with a knife I can usually get a 0.9mm hole in the correct place and then use brass pins - the sort used for making model boats.
Other than for appearances sake, I'm not sure how effective a check rail will be, but even at 3mm the gap looks more prototypical than my attempt using individual Peco chairs. It's all looking the part, and it's survived first contact with a train - well done. Interested to see what you are going to do about preserving the wood/ colouration :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:59 am

Sorry about your check-rail woes, but I reckon they'll be worth it in the end, the trestle looks superb, as does that lovely curve into the bank...

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:20 pm

Firstly preserving the wood. I am using wood preservative which Screwfix sell. For the track I am soaking the drilled sleepers in it overnight and then drying them over the Rayburn.

For the viaduct I intend to use the same stuff - but I was going to spray it using the compressor and either a proper spray gun, or perhaps the device I have for injecting wax oil into a chassis. Experiments to take place soon! Either way I am not intending to add any colour - just let it weather. Just need another spell of dry weather with light winds.

I have "cut and shut" those check rail chairs on the point. I used 2.3mm drills as spacers and clamped the rails up to the spacers as in the following photo. I did drill out the false bolt heads and glued and pinned the chairs down in their new position:
IMG_1864.jpg
IMG_1864.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 4230 times
and finally a photo of the finished point:
IMG_1866.jpg
IMG_1866.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 4230 times
The gap between the check rail and running rail ended up being a pretty even gap of between 2.45mm and 2.5mm - which seems perfect to me. Of course the final test was with a wagon and coach - nothing attempted to climb the frog - so I think that is a success.

Trevor

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:02 am

That point (and trestle) has come out very nicely. Nice robust throw, too. :salute:
Drill bits make great precision spacers, I use 1.5mm bits between the wheels and frames of Roundhouse locos when setting for 45mm gauge.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:29 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:02 am That point (and trestle) has come out very nicely. Nice robust throw, too. :salute:
Drill bits make great precision spacers, I use 1.5mm bits between the wheels and frames of Roundhouse locos when setting for 45mm gauge.
Thanks chaps for a really handy tip. Not thought of using drill bits as precision chunky feeler gauges or spacers.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:37 pm

They can also be used as bore gauges - assuming you have a variety of closely spaced sizes. If the drill just fits into a hole then you can get a pretty good idea of the hole size by measuring the drill diameter. Just be aware that drills are often less than the nominal diameter.

Trevor