The Railway in the Valley of the Mill

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: The Railway in the Valley of the Mill

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:21 pm

I can't see how you've fitted the check rail - is it a double shoe or have you sliced part off the checkrail shoes? Either way it looks great. Looking forward to seeing it progressing.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:00 pm

I don't think there is much risk of it falling off, what with the check rail and the fairly level track with gentle curves. However I did try a battery loco first - and at various speeds.

The check rail is secured with special check rail chairs which have slots for both rails and at the correct distance apart. They are from Cliff Barker, as are all of the chairs, and I suppose are really intended for making points.

Trevor

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:47 pm

Been away from the forum for a few days and wow, what a sight to come back to! :salute:
A pond feeding a stream down the middle would be perfect.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:03 pm

I'd be inclined to give Box a miss - I've had my 6 or so Box bushes for over 15 years, but this year they were all ravaged by the evil Box Moth, as was every other bush n Bristol it seems. It can only be a matter of time before it flutters to West Wales...

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:04 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:03 pm I'd be inclined to give Box a miss - I've had my 6 or so Box bushes for over 15 years, but this year they were all ravaged by the evil Box Moth, as was every other bush n Bristol it seems. It can only be a matter of time before it flutters to West Wales...
Yes I thought box might not be a good idea.

Trevor

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:52 pm

Sorry Trevor, I haven't been online much lately and kind of missed the fact that the Box conversation was a week ago! I'd be cautious with Thyme too, I think it likes sun, and you mentioned it was shady. Periwinkle might work, and I've got some stuff that I like called Woodrough ( or something like that), a smallish leaved ground cover plant which grows well in the shade...

I like the pond and stream idea and will watch developments with interest. I've got a sort of idea along those lines myself...

Cheers,

Andrew.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:02 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:52 pm Sorry Trevor, I haven't been online much lately and kind of missed the fact that the Box conversation was a week ago! I'd be cautious with Thyme too, I think it likes sun, and you mentioned it was shady. Periwinkle might work, and I've got some stuff that I like called Woodrough ( or something like that), a smallish leaved ground cover plant which grows well in the shade...

I like the pond and stream idea and will watch developments with interest. I've got a sort of idea along those lines myself...

Cheers,

Andrew.
I'll talk to D about Wiidrough. We did try Periwincle some time ago and it didn't seem to like the location.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:10 pm

While I await the delivery of more chairs I have made a start on the "Y" points for the passing loop just beyond the viaduct. This passing loop is where Dduallt station building is going to fit.

The plan downloaded from the 16mm Association website with the sleepers glued to it:
IMG_1829.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 3456 times
and the frog unit ready to silver solder:
IMG_1830.jpg
IMG_1830.jpg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 3456 times
I like to silver solder this part because I can then use ordinary solder to fit the wing rails to the frog without fear of the parts already assembled moving. I am using stainless steel rail, and while that is not a problem when silver soldering, it adds extra complication when using ordinary lead or lead free solder in that it requires a special flux.

The frog is in the pickling bath to remove the flux, and the wing rails are ready to fit next.

Trevor
Last edited by Trevor Thompson on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:14 pm

Trevor Thompson wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:02 pm
I'll talk to D about Wiidrough.
Here's what you need to know: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ry-flowers

I can see what they mean about it being invasive, but I don't think it's problematically so. A concrete trackbed seems to stop it, although it sometimes tries to creep beneath the rails - when that happens, it doesn't seem to mind being hacked back pretty hard.

Cheers,

Andrew.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:16 pm

I’ve found Sweet Woodruff really useful for ground cover, filling holes and hiding scabby bits. It’s easy and quick to cut it back (with scissors) every now and again as necessary. Here’s a healthy plantation of it (permanently in shade) in the picture below, to the left of the loco.

I’ve also planted loads of slow-growing, small-leafed Euonymus Japonicus ‘Green Spire’ (not the quick growing, potentially very much larger variants) to replace all the Box that was killed off by the beastly caterpillars. It looks very similar. The local garden centre displays it in neatly trimmed, dense, low hedges — say 25cm high — as edging to paths and so on, which I’d like to emulate. Might be useful to you?

sweet_woodruff_1.jpg
sweet_woodruff_1.jpg (570.68 KiB) Viewed 3442 times
Sorry, it's not the sharpest picture you've ever seen

Euyonmus Japonicus.jpg
Euyonmus Japonicus.jpg (650.4 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
Euonymus Japonicus ‘Green Spire’ (with spelling corrected)

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:59 pm

Warning - this is going to be an almost totally useless post!

I've just remembered that I have what I think may be the answer to your problem. The only thing is that I can't remember what it is called!

I bought 2 plants in 4" pots from a local nursery about 2 years ago and those two plants currently cover an area approx 5ft x 2ft and I have trimmed them occasionally. Really I planted them too close together and if I hadn't they would cover an even greater area. They are part in total shade and part in sun, on clay, and are thriving. They grow as a mat about 2" deep and are currently sprawing up through a couple of heathers that have got in the way. They don't flower and are just small green leaves approx 8x5mm max, with a pale centre line on stiff prostrate stems.
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG (421.23 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
If they are potentially of interest, let me know and I'll pop up there and ask what they are!
Philip

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:33 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:59 pm Warning - this is going to be an almost totally useless post!

I've just remembered that I have what I think may be the answer to your problem. The only thing is that I can't remember what it is called!

I bought 2 plants in 4" pots from a local nursery about 2 years ago and those two plants currently cover an area approx 5ft x 2ft and I have trimmed them occasionally. Really I planted them too close together and if I hadn't they would cover an even greater area. They are part in total shade and part in sun, on clay, and are thriving. They grow as a mat about 2" deep and are currently sprawing up through a couple of heathers that have got in the way. They don't flower and are just small green leaves approx 8x5mm max, with a pale centre line on stiff prostrate stems.

DSC_0002.JPG

If they are potentially of interest, let me know and I'll pop up there and ask what they are!
We would certainly like to know what they are called! They seem to be thriving - and that is a good starting point.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:38 pm

BertieB wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:16 pm I’ve found Sweet Woodruff really useful for ground cover, filling holes and hiding scabby bits. It’s easy and quick to cut it back (with scissors) every now and again as necessary. Here’s a healthy plantation of it (permanently in shade) in the picture below, to the left of the loco.

I’ve also planted loads of slow-growing, small-leafed Euonymus Japonicus ‘Green Spire’ (not the quick growing, potentially very much larger variants) to replace all the Box that was killed off by the beastly caterpillars. It looks very similar. The local garden centre displays it in neatly trimmed, dense, low hedges — say 25cm high — as edging to paths and so on, which I’d like to emulate. Might be useful to you?

sweet_woodruff_1.jpg
Sorry, it's not the sharpest picture you've ever seen

Euyonmus Japonicus.jpg
Euonymus Japonicus ‘Green Spire’ (with spelling corrected)
I've just been told that we have some Sweet Woodruff which she has been trying to encourage - but I keep striming it! Eunymus Japonicus sounds interesting as well - I'll look out for that in our garden centre.

Weed suppressing membrane and bark mulch is the answer to these plants getting strimmed - then I will know where things to avoid are.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:46 pm

The point is progressing:

the soldered frog and wing rails fitted:
IMG_1831.jpg
IMG_1831.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 3173 times
The chairs are fitted into holes, and glued in place as well. There are 8 brass pins holding the frog in place (as well as glue).

and the outer rails temporarily fitted in place:
IMG_1833.jpg
IMG_1833.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 3173 times
I positioned the outer rails using the track gauges, marked where the rails crossed the sleepers on both sides of the rail, and drilled holes central between the two pencil marks. The temporary assembly is to make sure that the holes were actually in the correct places - and that the track gauges fit easily. Proper check rail chairs to be fitted before final assembly.

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:33 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:33 pm

We would certainly like to know what they are called! They seem to be thriving - and that is a good starting point.

Wanna laugh?

I dropped the guy an email with the picture I posted here and explained that a friend was potentially interested but I can't remember what the plant is called.
This is his reply:
Hello Philip

They look like Euonymus, a particular form and we do have some to go but I cant remeber the name at the moment!

Cheers

Chris

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, with Euonymous as a definite starting point it didn't take me long to track it down, although there are dozens of Euonymous fortuneii varieties. This one is " Euonymous Fortuneii "Kewensis" "

Don't know if they would be readily available in the average garden centre, but Swallows is a commercial nursery rather than a garden centre and he does mail order.
https://swallowsnursery.co.uk/
Philip

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 am

Many thanks for going to all that trouble Philip

Trevor

gilfachphil
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by gilfachphil » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 pm

At the Welsh Botanic Garden today in the Japanese garden I spotted Leptinella Squalida which is a low growing mat forming plant which might be suitable for the bank.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 am

gilfachphil wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 pm At the Welsh Botanic Garden today in the Japanese garden I spotted Leptinella Squalida which is a low growing mat forming plant which might be suitable for the bank.
I will have to look for that - its about time we visited again

Trevor

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 am
gilfachphil wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:29 pm At the Welsh Botanic Garden today in the Japanese garden I spotted Leptinella Squalida which is a low growing mat forming plant which might be suitable for the bank.

Trevor
It's fairly widely available. I got two at different times, but neither have survived, don't know why. It comes in two different colours, a greenish one and a dark brownish purple colour.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:16 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am
Trevor Thompson wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 am

Trevor
It's fairly widely available. I got two at different times, but neither have survived, don't know why. It comes in two different colours, a greenish one and a dark brownish purple colour.
Looked this up and I have some, the spot in which it was planted died, but it has spread, and though difficult to see in the photo (it is the black variety) it is everywhere in just two years.
IMG_1264.jpg
IMG_1264.jpg (799.57 KiB) Viewed 3260 times