Planning a new line

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Planning a new line

Post by DonW » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:23 am

Hi All
Progress on getting other work done before I could start the new line is slow. However I was issued with a command to tidy up the railway area which currently has piles of bricks, stones, etc. The huge pile of briks reclaimed from some buildings taken down elsewhere will be used in the first place for a new shed which will house the garden trains plus the big mower and other power tools which are not wanted in the garden shed (her domain mainly). It may also have an indoor 0 gauge line about it all, plus store some chairs etc. for when I have visitors to the line.
The site is somewhat sloping so parts of the line will be raised. I am told no rails on posts so will need to build up a foundation. We have started on the shed and I have drawn a rough sketch of what is proposed.
[img][https://gardenrails.org/forum/download/ ... =11063/img]

Any comments would be welcome. I estimate the highest point at the front could be up to 3ft . The shed front is currently up to window sill level. MArion kindly dug most of the foundations out.

Regards
Don
Attachments
Gardentrains.jpg
Gardentrains.jpg (165 KiB) Viewed 7725 times

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Planning a new line

Post by Dwayne » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:05 pm

Great looking plan. Running and operating potential. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:13 pm

Looks like it offers plenty of potential. A circuit with a reverse loop and the possibility of end to end if you ignore one of the links.

Rik
PS just realised that what I thought was a reverse loop link is probably a line into the shed. A reverse loop link somewhere would allow you to run out and back from and to the storage sidings in the shed.
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:12 am

Thank you gents for your comments.

I take your point Rik the storage sidings in the shed will be low down so not intended for running merely to save lugging the all the stock up from the house, just the engines. However if I could put a link across where you are suggesting I could get a nice long end to end. It will be down to levels. I am thinking that the line running along tby the hedge bottom left will be raised up and would make a good steam up point. The path will be quite wide to allow the hedge to be cut. I am also thinking a bench seat against the shed wall would be a good place to sit and watch the trains or admire the view.

Don

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:27 am

Don,

You can produce track plans for free (limited use) using AnyRail software, very easy to use.

www.anyrail.com

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:01 pm

Thankyou Tom

I am happy enough wih the sketch as it will only be finalised on the ground. I could carefully lay out curves using offsets from a cord and all that but I find a few canes a bit of hose or rope and just eye it up works just as well. I cut a strip of board with one edge at the minimum radius I will accept and use that providing that all curves are over the minimum radius there should be no problems. Isn't there a saying that no plan survives first contact with the ground ( or was it the enemy?).

Don

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat May 08, 2021 8:47 am

I have been quiet fro a long time. I have got the big shed somewhat near completion.
trainshed.JPG
trainshed.JPG (165.4 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
However shortly after doing the roof I had problems in that all my body became stiff and movement difficult. Things like putting on socks or raising my arms above my shoulders were difficult. he doctor described it as an Arthritis flare up. I have some tablets that help but was advissed to use them on days when I would be doing heavy work. Seeing as just pushing a wheel barrow of sand or 14mm to dust up a 1:4 slope that is most days. Still I have been able to resume working on the garden railway. Marion is keen to see the pile of recovered bricks gone and has been helping by laying bricks for me. We are laying a low wall of bricks under the main line to support the track. These will disappear with a soil infill in places and hopefully stone walls or cladding on the outside of raised sections.
I have been much enjoying Riks Peckforton videos for inspiration.

Regards Don

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat May 08, 2021 8:55 am

That's a VERY impressive shed!

Glad you're finding ways around the health troubles and that the railway is making progress...

All the best,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 08, 2021 5:50 pm

Andrew wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:55 am That's a VERY impressive shed!
Glad you're finding ways around the health troubles and that the railway is making progress...
Ditto and ditto

Glad you've found my musings to be useful. Looking forward to seeing how things develop

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 am

Your 'shed' looks palatial, I'm very impressed and envious, but also sorry that the work has impacted on your health - I hope you're back to fighting fit very soon.
It's also good to see that the Planning Authority (aka Management or SWMBO) have been providing assistance :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Thu May 04, 2023 8:56 pm

Well it all sounded rather promising but nothing up to now. What happened.

Well the health problems proved rather greater than expected. I was having difficulties getting out of bed couldn't dress myself, couldn't raise my arms above my shoulders. My hands were having problems the ends of my fingers were fizzing (thats what it felt like). Driving was difficult because I couldn't hold the steering wheel about half an hour was the max and more things. The doctor thought it was an Arthritis flare up. I kept insisting it was more than that. After building for a few months things started to ease a little. Oddly I found doing physical work was actually better as it did seem to free me up a little but did take a lot of effort to do even a little. It was much later that hearing things and speaking to others I found the symptoms matched other peoples all of whom believed it to be a side effect of the covid jab. Having the third jab I mentioned this to the nurse who said it could cause an autoimmune response like an arthritis flare up. Having read up on the symptoms experienced by others I know this was the cause.

During this my wife and I came to the conclusion that we could no longer remain in a place with a 3/4 acre steeply sloping plot. She was very concerned that if I got worse again she couldn't cope and my confidence had taken a real knock. It took a long time to get everything tidy. It sold quickly but moving was delayed waiting for someone in the short chain to obtain probate. We had chosen to move back to the Isle of Wight. Everthing is quite close there and practical if I couldn't drive (Marion doesn't drive). Of course once moved in we found there was rather more to do than expected starting with a leak under the shower resulting I a total rebuild of the bathroom.

However I will have a garden railway. There is also a garden railway group on the island I had been part of previously. Mike who has a lovely line lives within walking distance. I have promised to get certain jobs done before 'playing trains' the list does seem to get added to as things get done, but it will be done and although the garden is a reasonable size it is a lot less work than the previous one.

So now I am looking round for good ideas to pinch. Perhaps the next post will feature some sketches.

If you have got this far through this sad tale of woe I remain positive. I hope life has been treating you all rather better.
Don

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu May 04, 2023 9:18 pm

That's a sad tale Don and I am sorry to hear you have suffered after effects from the Covid jab. It appears you have made the right decision to move and start afresh, particularly with the improvement in health, which is the most important thing under the circumstances.
Let's hope your revised plans will come to fruition.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 05, 2023 7:32 am

You certainly seem to have been through the mill but pleased to hear you are keeping optimistic. I am keeping fingers crossed for you ( even though it makes typing tricky) and hope to see some progress out in the garden soon. :thumbleft:

Rik
------------------------

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat May 06, 2023 1:25 pm

Thank you for you kind comments Gents. Some people came off much worse.

Don

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun May 07, 2023 10:08 pm

Sorry to hear of your issues Don, and especially the loss of that palatial shed. But - a move to known territory and access to like minded souls can only be a good thing. I'm sure you'll be whetting our appetite with ideas for your new line soon. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077