What to do with a tiny, barren wasteland?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What to do with a tiny, barren wasteland?

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:15 am

FWLR wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:01 am That does look like it has been there for quite some time Aaron. Brilliantly done with both the photography and the weathering. :salute:
Ditto
My thoughts exactly

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:38 am

That's very effective!

Love the spices idea - I'm guessing cinnamon? My WD Baldwin's smokebox door is still smeared with the cocoa powder I used for some temporary weathering...

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:34 pm

Mmmm - that looks 'crusty' :lol: several more in similar condition and you would have the makings of Barry scrapyard in the 60's and 70's.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:04 am

Thanks again, I'm also pleased with the overall effect. Letting the weeds do their thing would further improve it..

that is indeed cinnamon, with a little paprika here and there for highlights. I particularly like how the oil has wept out of each joint in the motion, and turned very dark.
I'll have to remember that, when I get round to bodging a spare LGB Koppel body, into my own boneyard loco.. The owner of this one, informs me he'd like to "restore" it with a motor driving the rear axle, a-la "Moreton" "preserved" at the Yandina Ginger Factory.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:40 pm

30/08/21

At the time these photos were taken, we expected to buy a place and move out of this sardine-suburbian hole early next year. So to give myself plenty of time to lift the line and re-terraform it into a driveway, (and so the grass under the elevated section can grow back) a final visitor's day was held at the end of August.

"Victoria" on the bins.
IMG_9005-07.jpg
IMG_9005-07.jpg (292.89 KiB) Viewed 11745 times

Ben's recently-completed coal-fired Fowler "Eudlo" of the local (closed 2003) Moreton Mill.
IMG_9018-25.jpg
IMG_9018-25.jpg (265.21 KiB) Viewed 11745 times

Four Fowlers (or is it 3½?)
On the next line, I'd love to make it a regular thing, to try and beat the previous record for Fowlers in attendance.

IMG_9029-33.jpg
IMG_9029-33.jpg (217.63 KiB) Viewed 11745 times

Due to dropping a nut which was thankfully later found, "Eudlo" never got to pull the bins this time.
But we posed this "what-if-Moreton-steamers-lasted-into-the-diesel-era" shot anyway. :roll:
I should build up a stock of spares from Roundhouse, for this sort of thing..
IMG_9039-41.jpg
IMG_9039-41.jpg (299.11 KiB) Viewed 11745 times

Ben's R/C-ed Ruby "Ida" was an impressively smooth and docile runner - besides the tender and R/C conversion, I believe it's a bog-standard Ruby!
Now that he's about finished "Eudlo", Ben plans on giving "Ida" a ten-year overhaul, new tender and plenty of other mods.
Having owned and heavily-rebuilt a Ruby in the past, I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he does with his loco.
IMG_9043-45.jpg
IMG_9043-45.jpg (299.3 KiB) Viewed 11745 times

More photos to come..
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:10 pm

IMG_9049-53.jpg
IMG_9049-53.jpg (316.9 KiB) Viewed 11640 times

Even ran into the night. Next time, I'd like to better-facilitate night running, a bit like Dazza's done on his line. :study:
IMG_9058-62.jpg
IMG_9058-62.jpg (127.75 KiB) Viewed 11640 times

Some clips thrown together.

06/09/21
A week later, demolition begins with the elevated section. ⅔ of the material was salvageable. Though all future elevated sections will be raised garden beds, rather than this temporary wood and fibro thing.

Another not-unexpected change of plans that came about, the day after that photo was taken, means we'll be staying here until this time next year, at least.

Whilst normally, this would mean that nothing needs to be dismantled yet, I'd already set in motion a new project. One that will require the side yard becoming a driveway sooner rather than later.. Something that will in time, end up on the off-topic board.. 8)

Tomorrow morning, I'll have one final run, then this little test track's apocalypse will begin.. :( :bom: :dontknow:
Last edited by Old Man Aaron on Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:28 pm

Always great pictures from your line, such a shame to have to take it down, especially under the last minute circumstances. Time to build more stock and wait patiently.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:37 pm

Lovely pictures Aaron. Somehow I managed to miss your previous post and the superb night shots.

It is a shame that you have to lift it all, but since you alwasy planned for it, I guess it isn't as much ofa wrench as it might have been.
Fingers crossed for the future.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:35 am

Yet more great pictures - I do love your line, such a shame it has to go, although I'm sure the next one will be even better. The research you've done re ballast etc in particular makes such a difference, I don't think I've seen more realistic looking track, roads and other "ground cover" on a garden railway. If you ever get a chance, I think you might enjoy reading Ian Stock's book, "The Art of Garden Railways"...

Anyway, good luck with the next project, keep us posted!

Andrew

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:52 am

A really great set of photos. So, these may not be the last ..... for now?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:19 am

Favourite photo is the first one. It's very atmospheric.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:36 pm

Sorry to hear the line is coming up, especially as your plans have been delayed by 12 months, but I'm very intrigued by the 'off-topic' project. Look forward to reading about it!
Phil

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:15 pm

Aye, it'll allow time to complete all the things I wanted to do by the end of this year.. :oops:
Andrew - thanks for the book suggestion, just ordered a copy :thumbright:

09/09/21
After a final run in the morning, lifting the line began mid-afternoon. Bet you've never seen pre-ballasted track in 45mm gauge. :roll:
All of the ballast remained attached to the pieces of track. Some of the rockier stuff had to be chipped away with a screwdriver, but most was "rubbery" thanks to the PVA, and pushed out in fairly clean chunks. All was then stacked behind the house, and will be pressure washed in the lead-up to eventual moving. Two of the "trees" were relocated to help disguise the besser blocks.
IMG_9104-09.jpg
IMG_9104-09.jpg (262.9 KiB) Viewed 3246 times

A fair amount of the garden had to come out. To spread out the job, and to allow some testing track to remain, the caravan end of the line will be left in place for the coming year. A few plants were saved, and some others relocated to the empty garden bed between van and fence.
IMG_9126-27.jpg
IMG_9126-27.jpg (276.43 KiB) Viewed 3246 times

All the displaced soil and mulch was spread out. Was going to buy some grass seed for it, but it's got a year to fill in by itself.

20/09/21
Another 2m3 of gravel was brought in (over-ordered yet again) and spread out. The excess pile round the back has doubled in size. At least I won't be short for gravel when the van is removed and that area has to be "graveled" properly. (the van was just parked on the dirt, and some gravel shoveled in underneath so it looks right)

Train shed for a 2½" terminus? :roll:

I'll leave this off with some photos of the very final run, eleven days ago. It's been good to have a test loop, but needs must.

Thanks again for all the kind words and advice. Here's to the next one.. (working title)
Last edited by Old Man Aaron on Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:47 pm

Ouch!

Glad you manged to salavage the track and some plants, it will give you a head start when the time comes .. one day. :)
Philip

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:26 pm

:cry:
Phil