What to do with a tiny, barren wasteland?

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: What to do with a tiny, barren wasteland?

Post by Mitch stack » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:25 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:51 am Thanks again. In spite of the limited space, I'm pleased with how this "test track" is turning out.
Andrew wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:10 pm I never really "got" the RH Bundaberg, but it looks just right in that setting.
It wasn't a popular model from what I've heard, very much a niche prototype. But given it was a relatively quick conversion of the existing Innisfail Fowler, one can see why RH picked it for that year's release, whilst developing the Darj. Garratt.
GTB wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:41 pm As you found, caustic soda can dissolve aluminium just as easily as an acid. It also dissolves zinc, tin and lead, so you also need to be careful with it around galvanised steel, tinplate and solder.........
I also had some problems recently on the track extension with Roundhouse bogie wheels and the new turnouts, but interestingly not with the driving wheels on those locos. Turned out the bogie wheels had deeper and thicker flanges than the drivers. Instead of modifying the turnouts, I reprofiled the wheels in the lathe to the G1MRA coarse standard I use and have had no further problems.
Re. the caustic soda, that's good to know, cheers. Interesting that you had similar issues with your RH wheels. Now that you mention it, the difference between bogie and driving flanges is quite apparent, looking at my Innisfail Fowler atop the desk here. Never noticed that..

28/08/20
Parts for a cattle grid were made up and stored, some months back. Assembled in place with epoxy. The test runs highlighted numerous hollows in the track, which were filled by spreading hand-fulls of crusher dust into those sections, then washing it in with the hose.
IMG_7771.JPG

The handlaid track was ballasted leaving the sleeper tops exposed, to give the cedar a chance at lasting. The flex track's plastic sleepers however, allow more of that "narrow gauge effect". Just as last time round, moss was scraped up and torn into small pieces, then mixed with the ballast, prior to application.
IMG_7772.JPG

I expect most of the moss will die, but some survived and spread on the last tramway:

A converted Echo Toys open wagon is ideal for this job. Unlike all my other stock, this wagon can get filthy, as I can simply hose it clean after use. And it's Binnie wheels have been temporarily replaced with the original "pizza-cutters" - which ensured any ballast wasn't fouling the pathways of sensibly-sized flanges. The excess ballast was spread away with a 3" brush.
IMG_7774.JPG

Once content, the ballast was gently but thoroughly soaked. I know this is a bit long-winded, but it's for my own future reference - by the time I get to ballasting Stage Two, I'll have forgotten the exact methods..
IMG_7776.JPG

A 50/50 mix of water and Sika outdoor PVA (with the usual dishwashing liquid) was then sprayed. I left it a couple minutes to soak in a bit, then sprayed again, a little more lightly this time.
IMG_7778.JPG

After another few minutes, a sprayer with only water in it, washed the glue from the sleeper tops before it completely dried.
IMG_7779.JPG

29/08/20
Whilst I'm pleased with the effect, I should've used a mix with less crusher dust and more sand/dirt for this "tramway style" section. Might lightly sift some sand, cement and dye over this bit to give it a "soil-ier" appearance..
I also forgot to wipe the glue from the railheads, so will have to go around scraping away the dried glue, with a wood chisel.. :scratch:
IMG_7784.JPG

Two points and a couple of random sleepers received the "new ballast" mix, to look as though they've been recently re-timbered.
IMG_7786.JPG

31/08/20
Over half the ballast has turned white, in spite of no rain. Thankfully, there's an excellent forum you may have heard of, that has discussed this issue in the past. I expect this trapped moisture to clear up in the coming weeks. If not, surely our rapidy-approaching Summer will boil it out..
IMG_7788.JPG

05/09/20
With The track of Stage One nearly complete, thoughts turned to getting Stage Two built before the weather gets too hot.
Was surprised to get this knocked up in a day.
This will be an elevated mill yard, loco shed/servicing, and navvy siding. Maybe a "dead row" if I can squeeze it in, we'll see once the points arrive..
The timber frame is only untreated pine held together with chipboard screws, as it needs only last a few years before we buy a place. A cat-run we built from the same cheap timber, lasted eight years in the constant humidity of our last yard. Cautiously-optimistic about this..
IMG_7789.JPG

On a railway-related tangent here - Depending on the humidity of a given day, the house air conditioner's moisture drain expels 5-15 liters of clean water with every day of use. The drain can be seen at top right, and runs into the downpipe. For reasons I suspect relating to the cheap construction of this house, the drain line's gradient was almost non-existent, resulting in the line backing up, and water dripping from the air vent inside, onto the television unit. The pipe has since been disconnected from it's hole cut into the downpipe, and the water now drains without issue. But that's a lot of "free" water I could use in the garden. To that end, some 20mm PVC pipe, fittings and a 300L tank have been bought. Need another pair of Besser blocks (cinder blocks) upon which to mount the tank, before I can connect it. This lot should pay for itself within a year.
IMG_7790.JPG

06/09/20
Stealing Mitch Stack's idea of corrugated iron as a fasica, I bought a few rolls of "miniature" iron in strips, intended for use as garden edging. (Wasn't enthused with the idea of cutting up full-size roofing sheets with tinsnips or a grinder)
The trial-and-error job of cutting the sheets to the ground's contour was less of a pain than I expected.
IMG_7791.JPG

Some extra support timbers (mostly from offcuts) were needed before fitting the iron. The black hose is from the caravan sink, running into a convenient stormwater drain. Aye, it's legal, one can run greywater (sinks, washing machines) into a storm drain in Queensland.
IMG_7792.JPG

I'll cut and fit the top tomorrow, weather permitting.
IMG_7794.JPG

Regards,
Aaron

Nice to see my idea of Coro iron sheeting in affect!,looks good mate!

Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:52 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:10 pm I never really "got" the RH Bundaberg, but it looks just right in that setting.
It wasn't a popular model from what I've heard, very much a niche prototype. But given it was a relatively quick conversion of the existing Innisfail Fowler, one can see why RH picked it for that year's release, whilst developing the Darj. Garratt.

I would love to get hold of a Bundaberg Fowler but unfortunately cannot afford one.
As I work on the only 1:1 scale 0-4-2 version of them ever made (No3 of 8) and will hopefully be involved in the restoration to full running of No1 I have a bit of an affinity to them.
Link to where I volunteer. http://www.bundabergcanetrains.org.au/history/
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:01 am

Cheers fellas. I'd never considered using the water for boilers..
GAP wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:52 pm I would love to get hold of a Bundaberg Fowler but unfortunately cannot afford one.
As I work on the only 1:1 scale 0-4-2 version of them ever made (No3 of 8) and will hopefully be involved in the restoration to full running of No1 I have a bit of an affinity to them.
Link to where I volunteer. http://www.bundabergcanetrains.org.au/history/
Funny you mention that - I also happen to work on a line with a Bundy Fowler. ANGRMS in Woodford, home of Bundy No.5. Never saw it in steam, having joined three years after it was withdrawn for retubing.. Was actually planning on visiting your group at Bundaberg this Winter, but The PlagueTM put paid to that.

Taking a page from your book and using that fibre cement sheeting for the top of my elevated section, as you have. Hoping to cut and fit it between showers today.

A very rough idea of Phase Two at this stage, rendered in SCARM.
phasetwolayoutidea.JPG
phasetwolayoutidea.JPG (88.28 KiB) Viewed 5915 times

Regards,
Aaron
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:43 am

Coming along in leaps and bounds Aaron, great work. Always enjoy the read.
Grant.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:16 am

Too wet today. Passing the time by reading through some older layout threads on here today, I realised it would be a waste, not to make use of the "liquid atmosphere".
The Echo open wagon is still out in the drizzle, so was plonked on one of the sidings. Decided this siding's ballast turned out too pristine, so a few days back, it was "soiled", with a mix of sand, cement and dye sprinkled over the existing ballast, then glued as before - which has provided the appearance I was after, and covered up the aforementioned whitening.
IMG_7798.JPG
IMG_7798.JPG (320.16 KiB) Viewed 5909 times
IMG_7796.JPG
IMG_7796.JPG (350.24 KiB) Viewed 5909 times

Regards,
Aaron
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:55 am

Looking better by the day!, good stuff Aaron, if I ever get to visit Queensland i will definitely be wanting to see your line!

Mitch :thumbright:
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:42 am

Cheers Mitch, you're certainly welcome to drop in - as is anyone else on the forum.

09/09/20
The fibro top has been fitted, along with some milled pine "angle" trim on the front edge. The trim (which was distressed with a wire brush before staining) took many coats of the vinegar/rust mix, and it still looks new in places, but the Summer will deal with that. Track is on hand, but still waiting to hear back from Roundhouse about some points. The throws are en-route from Tenmille.
IMG_7801.JPG
IMG_7801.JPG (323.96 KiB) Viewed 5705 times

The water tank has been mounted and plumbed. Also finally installed a border between gravel and lawn, much tidier now.
Should think about disguising the besser blocks..
IMG_7802.JPG
IMG_7802.JPG (286 KiB) Viewed 5705 times

Regards,
Aaron
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:56 am

26/09/2020
Most of the "whitening" of the ballast steadfastly refused to dissipate, so I took to brushing washes of cement dye onto the affected patches. Several applications were required, but it appears to have worked and left the ballast looking more-so as it was intended. In the end, most of the track received at least a weak wash over it, which helped further improve it's depth and texture. A couple of "Before" photos of the worst-affected sections:
IMG_7881.JPG
IMG_7881.JPG (375.31 KiB) Viewed 5544 times
IMG_7882.JPG
IMG_7882.JPG (414 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

10/10/20
Two other sections in the "rainforest" section near the van, were so bad that I neglected to photograph them at all. Removed the ballast, replaced with a new mix, and sprayed it with glue/water mix only once - unlike spraying twice, as I did to the rest of the track, which caused the whitening. This new mix has more soil in it, along with a little potting mix and slow-release fertiliser, rendering it more conducive to The MYOB.
Speaking of which, is spreading nicely, and has filled out the BBQ trays I'd set up to propagate the stuff.

The trays' contents were split up, leaving a clump of MYOB in the center of each tray, and the void around them re-filled with new potting mix, thoroughly watering in. Currently watering it all every second day.
The displaced clumps were planted randomly around the newly-ballasted track, so as to spread into the track from multiple directions.
As this is the only part of the garden that remains moist and cool enough to allow that "grassy track" so commonly found on cane tramways, I'm all too eager to exploit the fast-spreading nature of MYOB.
IMG_7995.JPG
IMG_7995.JPG (391.97 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

This section received the same treatment. The crossings have been stained with black cement dye, but the concrete mix used to make the crossings months back, is not very durable - it slowly rubs away with one's finger. The rain, track sweeper etc. will erode these crossings and they'll need occasional re-staining. That'll teach me for forgetting the cement dye when mixing concrete..
IMG_7996.JPG
IMG_7996.JPG (413.23 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

Had a run yesterday, reminiscent of old Moreton Mill. The Baguley will at some point receive more weathering to soften that harsh yellow a bit.
View from the workshop in the van:
IMG_7950.JPG
IMG_7950.JPG (310.8 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

IMG_7952.JPG
IMG_7952.JPG (352.93 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

Working up the grade toward the side-door-of-the-house crossing. Even for a little setup like this, I should come up with some names for landmarks..
IMG_7958.JPG
IMG_7958.JPG (296.33 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

IMG_7965.JPG
IMG_7965.JPG (314.97 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

IMG_7970.JPG
IMG_7970.JPG (297.03 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

IMG_7975.JPG
IMG_7975.JPG (360.78 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

IMG_7981.JPG
IMG_7981.JPG (306.27 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

IMG_7987.JPG
IMG_7987.JPG (325.43 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

IMG_7988.JPG
IMG_7988.JPG (248.26 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

IMG_7992.JPG
IMG_7992.JPG (302.77 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

IMG_7993.JPG
IMG_7993.JPG (294.68 KiB) Viewed 5544 times

Will have to get a fire in the Baldwin for a run, soon..
Last edited by Old Man Aaron on Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:19 am

Those are some lovely pictures Aaron and an amazing transformation from when you started just a relatively short time ago, back in April. Very well done indeed.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:06 am

Great photos Arron. The MOYB is coming along brilliantly... :thumbright:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:43 am

Superb pictures of the cane train Aaron, a real jungle atmosphere captured there.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:08 pm

Excellent! Hard to believe the tight space that this sits in.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:15 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:19 am Those are some lovely pictures Aaron and an amazing transformation from when you started just a relatively short time ago, back in April. Very well done indeed.
Couldn't agree more, it's remarkable... Great photos too, thank you!

Andrew.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:28 am

Thanks again fellas, it's nice to hear others are receiving some enjoyment from my toils. It's certainly good to finally play trains.

13/10/2020
I'm selling my ten wholestick cane trucks this coming Saturday, so out came the Baldwin ("Baron"), Baguley and Malcolm Moore for a final run of the trucks. While the Baguley inches around the circuit with the sweeper, (which works beautifully) the Baldwin is prepped. Despite the loco's previous successful test run six weeks ago, the retrofitted Roundhouse burner was back to behaving very erratically. Couldn't even raise steam. Chasing up the usual causes yielded as ever, no solutions.
To make matters worse, the joint between tube and rear tubeplate had decided to spring a leak. With a faint hiss and occasional drip from the tubeplate, the loco was failed and dumped in the workshop.
IMG_7999.JPG
IMG_7999.JPG (239.65 KiB) Viewed 5399 times

By sheer happenstance later that night, I ran across on the internet, a scene taken from The Simpsons , to which I promptly added a caption in order to have a laugh at my misfortune. The resulting image is of course, equally-applicable to Mamod/MSS locos.. :roll:
hows-the-ruby-going-its-a-pain-that-never-ends-24571789.png
hows-the-ruby-going-its-a-pain-that-never-ends-24571789.png (209.35 KiB) Viewed 5399 times

I've owned this loco from new for seven years, though it dates from 2010. 18th birthday present, and was my first loco. In the ensuing years, it's spent more time in bits than it has serviceable. I could rant for days about the horror this little loco has been. About the usual Accy issues from day one, that oiliness, design and construction issues, poor parts availability and substandard quality of what parts I actually could get.
About how I've long-since vowed never to buy Accucraft again. But we've all heard it before..

So a diesel day it is. I'll admit - touch wood! - that the Baguley runs as well as the 'Moore.
IMG_8000.JPG
IMG_8000.JPG (319.97 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
IMG_8004.JPG
IMG_8004.JPG (227.77 KiB) Viewed 5399 times

After a rather enjoyable run, I set to having a go at caulking the Baldwin's leaky joint with soft solder. Whilst the repair was successful, another leak reared it's head, through the soft solder. I could strip the loco down yet again and rebuild the boiler properly, then try and fight that burner again - I have after all, made it into a decent little loco.
But what then? What'll go wrong next?
Living with fatigue, means reliability is of ever-increasing importance, and I simply don't have it in me to keep fighting this loco.

With that, "Baron" was degreased for the last time. All the spare parts, seals, and other bits were compiled with the loco in it's box. It's maintenance log printed up, along with a "For Sale" sign with a list of all the extras and upgrades the loco has accumulated over the years - which surprised even me, I'd forgotten just how heavily the thing had been rebuilt to make it work.
Convenient when I think about it - I was planning on attending an open day/buy & sell at the AMRA club in Zillmere, Brisbane tomorrow. I don't expect the loco to sell, but at least I'll make it's availability known. Swap or partial swap might also work..

That's not to say I'm dieselising. RH Fowler "Victoria" is in the works for a thorough cleaning and weathering. Once that's back in service, the Bundy Fowler will receive the same treatment and a name. There are of course other loco and wagon projects in the pipeline, too..
IMG_7916.JPG
IMG_7916.JPG (250.4 KiB) Viewed 5399 times

Regards,
Aaron
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:48 am

I sympathise with you about loco failure, especially after such a history of improvements etc. I am not an engineer though and have no interest in constant maintenance when my battery electrics are always ready to go at a moments notice. Good luck with the sale, times might be getting harder for such things?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:44 am

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:48 am I sympathise with you about loco failure, especially after such a history of improvements etc. I am not an engineer though and have no interest in constant maintenance when my battery electrics are always ready to go at a moments notice. Good luck with the sale, times might be getting harder for such things?
Sorry Peter, looks like I missed your reply - managed to miss the last reply on my Fowler rebuild thread, too. :roll:
The Baldwin didn't sell at the open day, but it went fairly quickly once posted in the "Garden Railway Trading Group" on Farcebook. Quite sure that once sorted, it'll make a good loco for it's new owner, but I'm glad to be rid of it nonetheless..

10/12/20
Been too hot for running, but I've kept busy as always. With the change in seasons, the sun now beats down at the rear of the van, starting to kill the ferns and MYOB..
IMG_8193.JPG
IMG_8193.JPG (340.22 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

..Forcing the reluctant acquisition of an umbrella. It's been good to have, though; and assuming it lasts, (was $150AUD from Bunnings so I'm not counting on that) it'll be a good thing to have over the steaming sidings on the next tramway, when we buy a place. At the time of writing, thanks to the umbrella, the hot humid air and a daily soaking of tankwater, the plants are springing back very well.
IMG_8192.JPG
IMG_8192.JPG (284.61 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

22/12/20
Finally got round to "planting" that lump of tree root, that came in the load of dirt used to level the yard. Also refreshed the mulch, which was a bit thin in places, and planted some more weedy shrub things that I propagate in BBQ trays.
IMG_8229.JPG
IMG_8229.JPG (393.2 KiB) Viewed 5348 times
IMG_8231.JPG
IMG_8231.JPG (360.83 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

We've had some heavy bouts of rain, which has all but removed the oxide washes used to cover the whitened outdoor PVA in the ballast. I'm waiting out the hot, rainy months, and will re-apply the oxide washes when the weather settles a bit.
IMG_8232.JPG
IMG_8232.JPG (409.49 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

The line (center of image) leading to "Stage Two" has been laid, relatively lightly as access to check levels etc. was difficult. The Stainz and track sweeper run across it without issue, though.
IMG_8228.JPG
IMG_8228.JPG (426.52 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

The MYOB, whilst spreading nicely, wasn't actually penetrating the ballast here, but creeping across it. In order for the track sweeper to not simply tear it all up as it passes, I need the MYOB to take root between the sleepers. So the ballast was torn up again, this time replaced with just potting mix, and watered in.
Is this about right, for how you Brits get that beautiful MYOB track? We'll see how it goes..
IMG_8235.JPG
IMG_8235.JPG (419.57 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

So far, my quick and (filthy) dirty solution for routing the air conditioner's extension lead, seems to work. :roll:
IMG_8237.JPG
IMG_8237.JPG (280.66 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

The other side of the van looks much better, now that I've planted most of my shrubby weedy things from the BBQ trays, then moved said trays to behind the van, and propagated more MYOB in them for future use.
IMG_8240.JPG
IMG_8240.JPG (285.04 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

The MYOB has been here for two weeks now, and seems content with the limited direct sun it gets in the morning - long as I keep them moist.
I still need to properly route that drain hose from my sink, so trains can pass under it..
IMG_8236.JPG
IMG_8236.JPG (319.41 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

Unsurprisingly, there's still supply issues with getting Peco points. And an accelerated change in circumstances, means we'll likely be buying a house in only 12-18 months from now. So I don't think I'll bother with the full plan of "Stage Two", with the earlier-mentioned sugar mill and yard on the elevated section.
I'll just make do with the spare points on hand, and lay a few sidings for any visitors' stock. Being so hot though, progress on this front will be sporadic.
IMG_8238.JPG
IMG_8238.JPG (250.32 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

In the meantime, progress is being made on structures. All of foamboard and styrene, with aluminium roof flashing ran through a homemade corrugator.

This general store is based on an unusual prototype that once stood not far from here, in Mapleton, QLD; It had it's own siding served by the Mapleton Tramway. It was unique, to my knowledge, in that the veranda of the store served as a platform, allowing goods to be unloaded from vans and wagons of the daily trams, directly into the store. Kegs of beer and other supplies for the Ocean View Hotel, still standing just over the road, were also unloaded there.
The name is a reference to the game "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim". Apologies for this poor quality photo, I'll get a better one soon.
IMG_8244.JPG
IMG_8244.JPG (169.64 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

This bank is based on one that stood in Nambour, QLD from 1904-24, when it was demolished in a panicked attempt to create a firebreak, during a blaze that destroyed half the street.
IMG_8207.JPG
IMG_8207.JPG (238.39 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

The pub, which eventually will have the name "Imperial Hotel" emblazoned across it's fascia, was again, based on a prototype from Nambour. It's build has taken almost two years on-and-off so far, and really deserves it's own thread, if anyone's interested. Again, apologies for the quality of the image, it required some amateur photoshoppery to look right-ish, as all the bright white makes photography very difficult.
IMG_7874.JPG
IMG_7874.JPG (183.94 KiB) Viewed 5348 times
Regards,
Aaron
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:52 am

Thanks for the update Aaron, I was only thinking yesterday that we hadn't heard from you recently.
I love the way your Tiny Barren Wasteland has developed, it looks as though it has been there for years, if not centuries! It will be such a shame to have to lift it all when comes the time to move, but I guess that having a permanent place to start again will be worth it.

As for the MYOB, we don't have a problem getting it to root around here :evil: The only problem is stopping it from rooting everywhere. From my experience, it took a little while for it to find it's feet and actually feel comfortable, but after that there is no stopping it, it gets in everywhere. I suspect that water may be your problem, it does like to be damp at least and is better too wet than too dry.

Yes please, I for one would like to see the build of your Hotel, It's a fantastic looking building.
Philip

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:41 am

You must have a real green thumb - the plantings around the railway look great. I also love the look of your track - it really fits into the 'jungle'.

Great buildings too. Love the pub.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:46 am

Your buildings look most impressive Aaron, it will be good to see them in situ. And of course, a thread on the build of the hotel would be most welcome. As if you needed to ask! :lol:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:52 am

Yes please to the buildings thread!

Your line is looking great - for a "tiny, barren wasteland" you've squeezed in an incredible amount of realism and atmosphere!

Re MYOB, if it grows the same there as here I think you might just need to leave it a while. My ballast is held in place with SBR, so is pretty tough, but although the MYOB starts by growing over the top, before long it's pentrating between the lumps of ballast, despite the glue. I clear the top of my trackbed every now and then just by tugging out the MYOB with my fingers (I think the old WHR probably had pretty scrappy permanent way, but not completely overgrown), but it still seems to grow quite happily on either side...

All the best,

Andrew.