Welshpool & Llanfair in the states

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Welshpool & Llanfair in the states

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:35 pm

I have been long tie follower of the W&L light railway. But never could have the income in on good shot to make a start. We that has changed, I did some trading with a friend for his nice Pearse Earl in lined black. Originally sold from GRS, as the decal under the roof shows, then second hand from Simon at ANG who upgraded him to a Saturn 2.4ghz RC set up. Earl is well worn, all the motion work other than side rods have been replaced with new old stock replacements(I am badly in need of new side rods or a pair that have been bushed). I have the 3 Pickering cars from Accucraft and some of the freight rolling stock on order. With help, I have found the halt shelter for Sylfaen and plan to feature it on my raised loop. I am going to use a station and platform from IP Engineering as my Raven Square station, should make an ok stand in once painted in matching colors. Maybe eventually I will have Brunell models do a proper one in 16mm scale. More pics as time and rolling stock arrive. Mike

Here is Earl

Here is my new raised line in the back garden The buildings were mostly tempoary, although the brewery complex and engine house under the tree will remain, along with the hobbit house. The rest are gone now, to be replaced with more UK theme stuff.
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Welshpool & Llanfair in the states

Post by Dwayne » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:06 am

:thumbright:

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:01 am

I like it, nice and simple. Is the idea that it can be dismantled over winter?
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 pm

Nope, stays up year round. But instead of dealing with having to put posts 36" into the ground and set in concrete to deal with frost heave, it just sits on top of the ground. The layout is nearly dead level after some shimming here and there. I can get my Pearse Earl into a nice proper speed and just shut off the remote transmitter, only needing to turn it on to stop and top up water from time to time. My package of W&L rolling stock from Accucraft should arrive late this week, along with some fall temps, so steam plumes should be good for pictures. Mike

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:41 am

artfull dodger wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:32 pm My package of W&L rolling stock from Accucraft should arrive late this week, along with some fall temps, so steam plumes should be good for pictures.
Looking forward to seeing them! The loco will look lovely with your new carriages...

Cheers,

Andrew.

jaypalmer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by jaypalmer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:30 am

I love the hobbit house
:queen: Yes that is me in my avatar.. :queen:

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:17 am

Carriages and wagons due here soon, hopefully tomorrow. The Hobbit house is solar lighted and came from the local Meijers store, I think its kind of like the B8Q over in the UK. Everything from cloths, to garden stuff, automotive and grocerys all under one roof. For my "visiting" locomotive since the W&L in the preservation years hosts various engines, will be a brand new Roundhouse Lady Anne. I have never ordered my own brand new factory built locomotive. A couple kits yes, but the paint finish durablity left alot to be desired. Not due for production till December of 2020, so plenty of time to save and put miles on Earl. Speaking of Earl, he really needs a fresh set of side rods. If someone has a good set they would be willing to sell, please let me know. Being my only engine, I dont want to be without a live steamer while someone bushes the original side rods. Mike

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:39 pm

There is someone on here who has offered a laser cutting service for chassis frames etc. even offering to produce parts from dimensioned sketches.
I'm really sorry to both him and you for not remembering who it is, someone who I think moved out to one of the Nordic countries.
Postage was always going to be high, but for what you're after, if it could be produced on the edge of another piece of work, it might be worth discussing.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:39 pm There is someone on here who has offered a laser cutting service for chassis frames etc. even offering to produce parts from dimensioned sketches.
I'm really sorry to both him and you for not remembering who it is, someone who I think moved out to one of the Nordic countries.
Postage was always going to be high, but for what you're after, if it could be produced on the edge of another piece of work, it might be worth discussing.
That'll be 'Busted Bricks', I think.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:03 pm

A few additions to the UK style of my dual theme railway(other have is USA style logging). Added the UK style signal(the remaining LGB one will go away soon), new station and platforms built from IP Engineering laser cut wood kits. I water sealed them and painted before putting them on the railway. The wall lights came from the doll house isle at the local Hobby Lobby store. I will put down roof shingles under all of this area so I can ballest the track and get some moss to grow to give this area more of a UK feel. This portion is under a large tree and in the shade nearly all day during the summer time, so moss does well here. Its also in the lee of the house and shielded from the worst of the winter wind.