The Circle Line

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

The Circle Line

Post by idlemarvel » Thu May 30, 2019 7:55 pm

As mentioned in my intro, I have started building what is probably the world's smallest 5 inch gauge ground level ride on railway. Basically it is a 9 foot radius circle slightly elongated with two 5 foot straight sections for a halt and shed. The plan is shown below, drawn using xtrkcad. It is tentatively called the Circle Line (Narrow Gauge Railway) or CLANGER.
intro.png
intro.png (124.23 KiB) Viewed 8590 times
The squares are 50cm. As you can see there is not much space, basically a truncated 6m x 8m plot. The right hand half is what I bought from my neighbour. The rest of my garden does extend below the piece you see here for about another 20m or so but contains among other things a small orchard (well, three fruit trees) a swimming puddle and a greenhouse. There is room for a branch line to meander through some of this at some point but you have to start small and think big. I see this as the large scale equivalent of a PIKO or LGB G scale starter set; an oval of track, loco, few trucks, only 3 times bigger.

I would have preferred 7 1/4" gauge but no way could I get a circuit in my garden. I did consider an "end-to-end" line which would have allowed larger curves but I have been persuaded by various arguments that a circuit is better especially for (grand)children whether riding or driving. So 5" gauge it is.

Where I'm at is that I have completed half the track bed, half built the new shed/tunnel, and I collected the track today. Most of the time since I started this madcap scheme in January has been clearing the new plot and moving my shed. To get the circuit shown in the plan above I had to move the shed about 1m right and 50cm down. That was a story in itself, and required me to pack up my indoor G scale layout - the primary use of the shed - and empty the contents into another shed, which is now morphing into the loco shed / tunnel at the top of the plan. The loco and driving truck are on order. The plan is to have the trackbed and shed complete in June, lay the track in July, ready for the arrival of the loco in August.

I'm going for a battery powered loco, not steam or petrol, mainly because of the dangers to grandchildren but also because it seems easiest to start with (like the starter set mentioned earlier).

I will post some pictures as I progress and ask many questions along the way. All I have done so far is standard gardening and DIY, I haven't started the garden rails stuff yet! :D
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: The Circle Line

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 30, 2019 8:02 pm

Love it, I even measured my garden to compare alas it is not big enough to fit in a loop.

Do you have a loco already or one in mind that can manage such tight radius curves?

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Thu May 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Yes the loco I have on order does 9ft radius curves.
It's from Ride on Railways, link here: http://www.rideonrailways.co.uk/fivegauge/page15.html
If you squint a bit it has a passing resemblance to some Ffestiniog diesels, Conway Castle for example.
Dave Miller

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri May 31, 2019 8:33 am

Nice looking diesel, Dave. Am I envious? Yes, course I am! :sad4:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri May 31, 2019 8:38 am

Note the price of it compared to 16mm scale offerings...

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri May 31, 2019 9:18 am

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Fri May 31, 2019 8:38 am Note the price of it compared to 16mm scale offerings...
I have mentioned this before. RoR stuff is very good, Hercules is a powerful engine and quite suitable for regular use.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri May 31, 2019 9:23 am

idlemarvel wrote: ↑Thu May 30, 2019 7:55 pm As mentioned in my intro, I have started building what is probably the world's smallest 5 inch gauge ground level ride on railway. Basically it is a 9 foot radius circle slightly elongated with two 5 foot straight sections for a halt and shed. The plan is shown below, drawn using xtrkcad. It is tentatively called the Circle Line (Narrow Gauge Railway) or CLANGER.

intro.png

The squares are 50cm. As you can see there is not much space, basically a truncated 6m x 8m plot. The right hand half is what I bought from my neighbour. The rest of my garden does extend below the piece you see here for about another 20m or so but contains among other things a small orchard (well, three fruit trees) a swimming puddle and a greenhouse. There is room for a branch line to meander through some of this at some point but you have to start small and think big. I see this as the large scale equivalent of a PIKO or LGB G scale starter set; an oval of track, loco, few trucks, only 3 times bigger.

I would have preferred 7 1/4" gauge but no way could I get a circuit in my garden. I did consider an "end-to-end" line which would have allowed larger curves but I have been persuaded by various arguments that a circuit is better especially for (grand)children whether riding or driving. So 5" gauge it is.

Where I'm at is that I have completed half the track bed, half built the new shed/tunnel, and I collected the track today. Most of the time since I started this madcap scheme in January has been clearing the new plot and moving my shed. To get the circuit shown in the plan above I had to move the shed about 1m right and 50cm down. That was a story in itself, and required me to pack up my indoor G scale layout - the primary use of the shed - and empty the contents into another shed, which is now morphing into the loco shed / tunnel at the top of the plan. The loco and driving truck are on order. The plan is to have the trackbed and shed complete in June, lay the track in July, ready for the arrival of the loco in August.

I'm going for a battery powered loco, not steam or petrol, mainly because of the dangers to grandchildren but also because it seems easiest to start with (like the starter set mentioned earlier).

I will post some pictures as I progress and ask many questions along the way. All I have done so far is standard gardening and DIY, I haven't started the garden rails stuff yet! :D
Wow, it is nice to see 5 inch in a small space. I hope the railway provides much entertainment for all concerned.
One thing to watch out for is that small radii curves like this will slow the engine down a fair bit and might restrict haulage capacity. I would regularly turn the engine and the stock to equalise wear on the wheel flanges.

The other problem is that miniture railways have the addictive capabilities of heroin, you have been warned.πŸ˜„
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri May 31, 2019 10:02 am

Dave, is this the guy you mentioned in your introduction post?

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri May 31, 2019 11:57 am

Big Jim wrote: ↑Fri May 31, 2019 9:23 am

The other problem is that miniture railways have the addictive capabilities of heroin, you have been warned.πŸ˜„
I have to admit that they've never held any attraction for me in the past, but having looked at the ROR site and seen their offerings, I found myself wondering if I might be able to afford it!
Thing is that I know myself well enough to know that I'd build it but then never do anything with it! :roll: :oops:
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri May 31, 2019 12:01 pm

Once you run a large scale live steamer you forget about how silly you might look, it's very addictive!

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Fri May 31, 2019 12:24 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Fri May 31, 2019 10:02 am Dave, is this the guy you mentioned in your introduction post?

Yes that's the guy, Paul Middleton. The railway was started by his dad but Paul now runs RideOnRailways with his dad as consultant.
He is very friendly and helpful. If you're concerned if you have enough space he will have some practical ideas.
Dave Miller

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Fri May 31, 2019 12:47 pm

Big Jim wrote: ↑Fri May 31, 2019 9:23 am Wow, it is nice to see 5 inch in a small space. I hope the railway provides much entertainment for all concerned.
One thing to watch out for is that small radii curves like this will slow the engine down a fair bit and might restrict haulage capacity. I would regularly turn the engine and the stock to equalise wear on the wheel flanges.

Thanks Jim, that sounds like good advice. I'm not too bothered about speed or haulage, the most I will ever want or be able pull is perhaps one coach with adult and child. I've no room for any more rolling stock! As for addiction, I think railways in general have got me good and proper... :lol:
Dave Miller

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Fri May 31, 2019 12:51 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Fri May 31, 2019 11:57 am I have to admit that they've never held any attraction for me in the past, but having looked at the ROR site and seen their offerings, I found myself wondering if I might be able to afford it!
Thing is that I know myself well enough to know that I'd build it but then never do anything with it! :roll: :oops:
Another manufacturer in this market are maxitrak who do a small 0-4-0 shunter for much less.
http://www.maxitrak.com/locomotive-item/5-inch-planet
Dave Miller

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:55 pm

Some progress and pictures on a nice summer evening.

I have completed the trackbed foundation for the right hand half of the circle (ref plan above) and laid a lawn to fill the middle.
The lawn turf was a bargain from Homebase, Β£5 a roll and 4 for 3 so it cost me Β£15. Not the best quality and it had been left rolled up too long (some sign of "burning" due to internal composting) but good enough. The mound of earth is mostly from leveling the site and will be an embankment covered with ferns and suchlike. The back wooden structure on stilts is a "tree house" I built for the grandkids from bits left over from the shed (see below).
IMG_20190603_190523.jpg
IMG_20190603_190523.jpg (107 KiB) Viewed 8390 times
The line will have a combined train shed and tunnel, and the lean-to pent shed shown below has been completed apart from fixing thje doors. The bright orange interior will be painted black like the outside I think,or I may leave it orange for now (it is preservative). With the doors closed each end it is long enough for loco and bogie driving truck/sit on carriage.
IMG_20190603_190505.jpg
IMG_20190603_190505.jpg (74.82 KiB) Viewed 8390 times
Dave Miller

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:34 pm

I quite like the orange interior colour.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:03 pm

Like Philipy, I have managed not to be over-enthusiastic about ride-on railways, but seeing what you can achieve in such a restricted space is truly amazing.
I am seriously impressed about your devotion to the project, it is progressing rapidly, and in a very professional manner too! The restricted view, by having the shed in the centre, will somehow give the impression of greater size.
Following closely, but not being drawn into the scale.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:34 pm

I think that's Peter saying he likes what you are doing Dave :thumbup:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:58 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:34 pm I think that's Peter saying he likes what you are doing Dave :thumbup:
I could have just said...... 'Like', but I try to pretend I'm more creative than that!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:12 am

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:03 pm Like Philipy, I have managed not to be over-enthusiastic about ride-on railways, but seeing what you can achieve in such a restricted space is truly amazing.
I am seriously impressed about your devotion to the project, it is progressing rapidly, and in a very professional manner too! The restricted view, by having the shed in the centre, will somehow give the impression of greater size.
Following closely, but not being drawn into the scale.
Thanks Peter. I'll be amazed when I finish it! But you're right, it seems the trick with this scale in small space is to restrict the view with sheds, trees, shrubs etc to give the impression you are going somewhere not just in a circle. There's a layout on the Isle of Wight which is quite a short end-to-end line but because it winds down the garden and you can never see more than the next 12 feet or so ahead it seems much longer. Conversely I have seen another layout which is just a (bigger) circle in the middle of a large lawn and it looks like a fairground ride and fairly pointless (hah!).
Dave Miller

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:53 am

Why have you been allowed to come on here...... ;)

You have now started me of haven't you with those fantastic models. However I must resist, to even think about getting a larger scale model will be the end of me.... :lol: :lol:

I do like those Sentinel tipper wagons though........... :thumbright: