TVT - Start of Steam Operation

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: TVT - Start of Steam Operation

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:09 am

Finally got your locos and rolling stock running on your'e brilliant line. It's been a great achievement for you, especially in that heat you have down there.

Can we expect a short video of your locos. It would be great for the members to see and hear them.

Ps, Spelling mistakes from me.... :roll: :roll:

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:28 am

RobRossington wrote: ↑Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 pm I’ve had an idea forming over the past few weeks to Anglicise a pair of Bachmann big hauler ones to run with my Baldwins. Do you have any closer photos of it by any chance?
There's a couple of my threads on Australianising the Bachmann pass cars. The colour scheme I use is the one the VR used on Melbourne suburban electric cars from the mid '30s to the late '50s.

This thread is the straight pass car conversion based on some broad gauge cars imported from the US. It contains more detail on what was done to the Bachmann models.

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 57#p114957

The van version is covered in this thread and is based on another broad gauge car type, converted by the VR from the old pass cars by adding a guard's compartment for outer suburban traffic.

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 04#p122004

The pass cars are similar to some ng stock built by UK builders for export, but the van is more of an Aust. special.

Luckily I don't need any more passenger stock, as Bachmann prices are rising locally due to scarcity and while they are cheap enough in the US, the postage is ludicrous, making the final cost too much for what they are........

Regards,
Graeme

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks Graeme. They’re stunning.

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:41 pm

Great Photos and Workmanship as always Graeme, rather fond of the Livery on Bourn! hope to see some timber tram action soon!.
Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:28 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:09 am Can we expect a short video of your locos. It would be great for the members to see and hear them.
Sorry Rod, I'm a card carrying Luddite. I don't own any device that can take a video and have little interest in buying one.

Regards,
Graeme

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:31 am

GTB wrote: ↑Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:28 pm
FWLR wrote: ↑Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:09 am Can we expect a short video of your locos. It would be great for the members to see and hear them.
Sorry Rod, I'm a card carrying Luddite. I don't own any device that can take a video and have little interest in buying one.

Regards,
Graeme
Thats a real shame Graeme. Would have been great to see... :( ...

:idea: Have you got a Mobile phone ? You can take videos with them, if you have...

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed May 01, 2019 7:27 am

Yesterday afternoon was ideal steaming weather, cool, light winds and a clear sky, so Bogong was rostered to run the roadside goods.

Bogong is a Roundhouse #24 model, modified to look more Australian and less SR&RLRR. Like the other black locos on the TVT it is painted in three shades of black and lightly weathered.

A roadside goods in VR terms was a goods train that worked it's way along the line, stopping and shunting any stations that had any goods traffic offering on that day. Adherence to a timetable was nominal at best. The other two possibilities were a through goods that only stopped to cross other trains and a fast goods, which ran with modified rolling stock at higher speeds than a through goods. A line like the TVT in the '30s would have run a weekly roadside and the occasional through goods if enough traffic was on offer, such as a livestock train on a day when the local stock sales were held.

So, here is Bogong waiting in the afternoon sun for steam to be raised.....

Seventh Steam Run 1.jpg
Seventh Steam Run 1.jpg (177.18 KiB) Viewed 8214 times

This photo shows it ambling along with eighteen four-wheeled trucks on the curve at the southern end of the track. These four wheelers don't run as well as the bogie goods vehicles, especially on curves and this train is close to the load limit for the loco on this track. On the curves it slowed down to the point you could just about count the spokes on the drivers as it went past.

Seventh Steam Run 3.jpg
Seventh Steam Run 3.jpg (155.4 KiB) Viewed 8214 times

The next photo shows the train a bit further along and it is now accelerating as the wagons are past the curve.

Seventh Steam Run 2.jpg
Seventh Steam Run 2.jpg (168.44 KiB) Viewed 8214 times

The last photo shows the loco sitting quietly in the late afternoon sun while it cools down.

Seventh Steam Run 4.jpg
Seventh Steam Run 4.jpg (158.71 KiB) Viewed 8214 times

With a load this heavy, speeds were low and Bogong was working hard, so managed only 12 circuits of the track in 22 mins, which gives an average scale speed of 15mph.

On a run the other day, the similar size Bagnall 2-6-2 Bunyip managed a longer run on a through goods at a higher average speed, using less water and gas. The train was just as long as the roadside goods, but the rolling resistance of the bogie goods stock was much lower.

Regards,
Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue May 14, 2019 4:22 pm

Today dawned bright and clear, but I had to go out just after lunch. When I got back, the sun was still out and the sky clear as I started setting up for a run. By the time steam was up, the sky had clouded over. Of course when the run was over and I was packing up, the sun came back out........

This run was with one of the timber tram locos, specifically the Shay.

With the sun behind the clouds, at least the diffused light made it easier to take a photo of a dirty black locomotive and this photo shows the Shay sitting for it's portrait before the run.

Eighth Steam Run 1.jpg
Eighth Steam Run 1.jpg (168.7 KiB) Viewed 8133 times

The next photo shows the Shay leaving the bridge with a train of eleven pairs, which is all the timber tram rolling stock the line owns.

Eighth Steam Run 3.jpg
Eighth Steam Run 3.jpg (199.96 KiB) Viewed 8133 times

This loco is glacially slow out on the line, like it's prototype, so it took a while to progress around to the back of the track and this photo shows it running under the pittosporums along the back fence. It's hard to find photos of real Shays taken from the non-drive side, as most photographers regarded this as the uninteresting view. Photos from the drive side are more common.

Eighth Steam Run 4.jpg
Eighth Steam Run 4.jpg (256.53 KiB) Viewed 8133 times

After the loco finally made it back to the junction, I reduced the load to five pairs for the next circuit and this photo shows the shorter train running along the back part of the line. The load reduction was a test to see if the loco ran any faster with a lighter load. It didn't.

Eighth Steam Run 6.jpg
Eighth Steam Run 6.jpg (259.12 KiB) Viewed 8133 times

The last photo shows the train ambling through the junction and approaching the bridge. That was the end of the run, as the gas ran out as it got to the bridge.........

Eighth Steam Run 7.jpg
Eighth Steam Run 7.jpg (213.89 KiB) Viewed 8133 times

The Accucraft Shay is an attractive reproduction of the prototype, but the operation on the track leaves much to be desired. The loco managed exactly two trips around the track, taking about 11 min. to do each circuit, which works out at an average speed of 2.5 scale mph, i.e. a slow walking pace.

The speed is the same no matter what load it is pulling, on straight track, or curved track, or even if it is running light. It isn't noticeably affected by reasonable gradients either.

Winter is setting in hereabouts, so the opportunity for running trains will become rarer for a few months.

Regards,
Graeme

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Wed May 15, 2019 1:39 am

Fabulous photos Graeme! looking forward to seeing more photos of the krauss in action soon enough.
Mitch.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 am

Agree with Mitch, they are real beauties..Love the Black livery too.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 am

GTB wrote: ↑Tue May 14, 2019 4:22 pm
Winter is setting in hereabouts, so the opportunity for running trains will become rarer for a few months.
I hope we still get to see the odd train when the weather allows, it's been wonderful to see your locos and stock in action - the "roadside goods" was fantastic!

Andrew.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu May 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Today stayed sunny and there was no wind, so I took the opportunity to run another couple of trains on the timber tram.

First up was the converted Baldwin tram loco from Hayden's Tramway at Barwon Downs, west of Melbourne. There aren't a lot of places for photos on my track, so it's the formula as usual.

The first pic shows the little Baldwin sitting in the sun before the run.

Tenth Steam Run 1.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 1.jpg (154.95 KiB) Viewed 8048 times

The next pic shows it ambling along the back straight with four loaded pairs in tow, heading for the VR interchange at Barwon Downs. A heavier train than the prototype could handle I suspect.

Tenth Steam Run 5.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 5.jpg (288.94 KiB) Viewed 8048 times

This pic shows it coming around the curve into the junction. With the sun getting lower in the sky as the winter solstice approaches, trains are now running in permanent shade at the northern end of the track.

Tenth Steam Run 6.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 6.jpg (238.31 KiB) Viewed 8048 times

The last pic shows it coming off the bridge heading south in the afternoon sun.

Tenth Steam Run 8.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 8.jpg (131.53 KiB) Viewed 8048 times

This model is a modified Accucraft Ruby kit and is a very small loco, so long runs are not an option, but once it gets going it runs smoothly and at reasonable speeds with a light load. It managed six circuits of the track at a fairly steady 18 scale mph before the gas ran out.

Since it was a nice day, I decided to have a second run. This time the Fowler from the Warburton Steam Tramway in the hills behind Melbourne was given a run.

The first photo is the usual portrait shot, sitting in the late afternoon sun.

Tenth Steam Run 9.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 9.jpg (158.66 KiB) Viewed 8048 times

The next photo shows it ambling along the long straight with it's load of six pairs of sawn timber on the way to the VR interchange at La La Siding at the end of the VR broad gauge Warburton line.

Tenth Steam Run 10.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 10.jpg (240.82 KiB) Viewed 8048 times

Further into the run, this photo shows the loco slowing down for the junction turnouts, before running onto the bridge. The only photo I've seen of this loco in service showed it running cab first with a load. There was no way to turn locos on the tramway, so it would have always run cab first when loaded and smokebox first when returning empties to the sawmills.

Tenth Steam Run 11.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 11.jpg (181.94 KiB) Viewed 8048 times

The last photo shows the Fowler sitting in the last rays of the sun cooling down after the run, with the wye junction filling in for La La sidings.

Tenth Steam Run 12.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 12.jpg (114.29 KiB) Viewed 8048 times

The run was 12 circuits at an average speed of 22 scale mph before the gas ran out. This run was shorter than it's usual performance, so some investigatory maintenance is indicated when the workshop bench becomes available again.

Regards,
Graeme

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Fri May 17, 2019 5:26 am

Nice photos graeme, that fowler looks impressive too! Im putting a timber siding on my new extension, how did you build the timber for the wagons and connect them to the bogies? regards Mitch :)

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri May 17, 2019 11:23 am

Mitch stack wrote: ↑Fri May 17, 2019 5:26 am Im putting a timber siding on my new extension, how did you build the timber for the wagons and connect them to the bogies?
Assembling the loads is shown in this old post. I've got a small bench saw which I use to cut small wood pieces for models. I go through the rack at Bunnings to find nice straight pieces of pine with no knots and growth rings that aren't too obvious, then rip them down to size.

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11904

The timber load is glued to the upper bolster on the timber bogie with yellow woodworking glue. The tiedown chains and belly chains are mostly cosmetic and the chain comes from a model boat manufacturer. Boat modelling has a lot of useful bits and fittings available......

There's also an earlier post which shows how the timber bogies were made.

https://gardenrails.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=8254

Regards,
Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri May 17, 2019 4:46 pm

There's a slow moving high over SE Aust. and the good weather continues, so having committed a bit of weedicide in the garden earlier in the day, I decided to take advantage of a nice autumn afternoon and boil some water again.

My Garratt is 16mm scale, rather than the 15mm scale I use, so it tends to look wrong with most of my rolling stock, but if I put it on a goods and marshall the open wagons at the loco end, it looks reasonable........

So, as usual the first photo shows it sitting in the steaming bay waiting for the billy to boil.

Tenth Steam Run 1.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 1.jpg (164.27 KiB) Viewed 7992 times

The next pic shows it out on the road with a through goods, heading south in the late autumn sun.

Tenth Steam Run 2.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 2.jpg (268.62 KiB) Viewed 7992 times

The next photo shows the train coming off the bridge and running through the junction. This is my only r/c loco and is fitted with gear from RCS in Aust.

Tenth Steam Run 4.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 4.jpg (175.45 KiB) Viewed 7992 times

I've found some locos co-operate and stop in an accessible part of the track when the gas runs out. Not the Garratt though, so I thought I'd try using the motor mule as a rescue loco. A bit surprisingly it started the Garratt and it's train and continued to pull it back to the wye junction at a reasonable speed and with little wheel slip. All of which puts the construction of a larger diesel for rescue work further down the workshop list. The photo shows the mule hauling the dead Garratt along the elevated section towards the bridge.

Tenth Steam Run 5.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 5.jpg (159.59 KiB) Viewed 7992 times

Nextdoor's tabby sometimes pays a visit and trades stares with my two through the sun room windows. She was curled up in the shrubbery up the back earlier when I was weed spraying and took off back home as I approached. Later in the day she almost had a near Garratt experience, as this time the train flushed her out for the second time in the day.

"I tawt I taw a puddy tat". The photo shows her lurking in the bushes before doing her usual trick of scaling the 6' fence in one jump, stopping to look back and then jumping down on her own side.

Tenth Steam Run 7.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 7.jpg (163.11 KiB) Viewed 7992 times

With the Garratt now clear of the section, RM1 on the afternoon rail motor service hurries south through late afternoon sun to make up time.

Tenth Steam Run 6.jpg
Tenth Steam Run 6.jpg (213.78 KiB) Viewed 7992 times

Regards,
Graeme

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Sat May 18, 2019 2:42 am

Thanks for that graeme, that makes a lot of sense now, lovely photos of the Garratt too.
Mitch

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:18 pm

It's now well into winter here and it's been raining on and off for the last couple of weeks. I was starting to consider building an ark, then on Friday the clouds blew away and we were treated to a cool sunny day with gentle winds.

The Warburton Steam Tramway Fowler has been taking up space in the workshop after some modifications and repairs after it's last run and the opportunity was taken late in the afternoon to give it a light engine test run. It passed the test, so is now cleared for traffic again.

The photo shows it trundling along cab first, travelling north on the long straight as the shadows lengthened.

Eleventh Steam Run 1.jpg
Eleventh Steam Run 1.jpg (228.25 KiB) Viewed 8514 times

Saturday dawned nice and sunny, so I took a break from the workshop after lunch and ran another train as I sat in the sun watching it, just because I could.

The photos show the works motor and the weedex train orbiting the track in the sunshine. The wye junction part of the line is in permanent shadow this time of the year and that part of the track was still wet with dew mid-afternoon.

Seventh Run 1.jpg
Seventh Run 1.jpg (160.4 KiB) Viewed 8514 times

Seventh Run 2.jpg
Seventh Run 2.jpg (306.14 KiB) Viewed 8514 times

Regards,
Graeme

idlemarvel
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by idlemarvel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:51 am

Very nice collection Graeme and well photographed, and your commentaries are very informative. You obviously get a lot of pleasure from running your trains, which I suppose is the whole point, but it shows! :-)
Dave Miller
currently building the 5" gauge Circle Line

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:02 pm

Time for an update, now that the station yard extension of the TVT is operational.

Yesterday was stinking hot with not a cloud in the sky, but this is Melbourne. Today dawned cloudy, with rain forecast.

However I managed to get in the first steam run on the new track and the Big Black Baldwin was rostered for a through goods, before the sky turned black and threatening.

The first photo shows the train assembled in No.1 road in the weak morning 'sun', while the loco crew have put the Baldwin over the pit to clean the fire and take a smoko before departure time.

Thirteenth Steam Run 1.jpg
Thirteenth Steam Run 1.jpg (199.82 KiB) Viewed 8219 times

The next photo shows the train sitting in No. 1 road while the loco crew wait for the guard to show a green flag for departure.

Thirteenth Steam Run 2.jpg
Thirteenth Steam Run 2.jpg (198.83 KiB) Viewed 8219 times

A little later and the train is on it's way through the wye and heading south (clockwise around the loop).

The white disc on the back of the van is the tail disc, used by the VR in daylight to indicate to signalmen and other employees that the train is complete. At night a red tail light is also shown for the same purpose. The van also has the tail light in place, but it isn't lit during daylight.

Thirteenth Steam Run 3.jpg
Thirteenth Steam Run 3.jpg (151.14 KiB) Viewed 8219 times

Approaching the bridge on the first trip around the loop.

Thirteenth Steam Run 4.jpg
Thirteenth Steam Run 4.jpg (152.58 KiB) Viewed 8219 times

Starting another trip around the track heading south.

Thirteenth Steam Run 5.jpg
Thirteenth Steam Run 5.jpg (150.84 KiB) Viewed 8219 times

Another trip around and approaching the bridge again.

Thirteenth Steam Run 6.jpg
Thirteenth Steam Run 6.jpg (152.21 KiB) Viewed 8219 times

Running south under the Pittosporums.

Thirteenth Steam Run 7a.jpg
Thirteenth Steam Run 7a.jpg (181.05 KiB) Viewed 8219 times

Ten trips around the loop later and the train takes the other arm of the wye to return to the station yard.

Thirteenth Steam Run 8.jpg
Thirteenth Steam Run 8.jpg (176.91 KiB) Viewed 8219 times

Back in No. 1 road facing west, while the fireman uncouples the loco. so it can go back over the pit.

Thirteenth Steam Run 9.jpg
Thirteenth Steam Run 9.jpg (179.42 KiB) Viewed 8219 times

The camera then decided the memory card was fun, so no further pictures. The sky also started turning black around the same time........

With a train this heavy, the Baldwin can do twelve trips around the mainline loop which gives a 22 min. run, before the gas runs out. This is also the longest train that will fit in either No. 1, or No. 2 roads without fouling the turnouts.

Today, I decide ten times around the loop would be a good time to return to the yard so there would be enough steam left to run around the train, turn the loco on the wye and leave it to cool down.

The run generally went well. I've worked out that I can't run manual steam locos anti-clockwise on this track, until I get around to designing and fitting a remote point lever to the turnout at the eastern corner of the wye.

Regards,
Graeme

Puddlejumper
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Puddlejumper » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:30 pm

I've just read this thread through from the start and would like to say thank you for sharing your railway with us. You have a fantastic collection of locos and I'm not even slightly envious :lol:
Looking forward to the next instalment.
Doug

Hopelessly bodging stuff into some sort of semblance of a railway up in the frozen wasteland of County Durham.
16mm(ish) scale NG on 32mm track