Chronicles of the Dirranbandi & Toowoomba Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: Chronicles of the Dirranbandi & Toowoomba Light Railway

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:36 pm

For the record Graeme, we all enjoy on here you being a perfectionist given the work you produce :thumbup:

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Oily Rag wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:52 pm However the machine has a full nut onto the lead screw
Solid leadscrew nuts were a standard fitting on a lot of small lathes and Cowells still use one. The EW looks well built for a small lathe of that era, I'd prefer it to an Adept for instance........

The only metal working machinery I had for most of my modelling career before retirement was a late model Unimat SL that I bought new (predictably the Unimat 3 came out a year later). That taught me more than I needed to know about taking numerous light cuts on a machine with what amounted to a full leadscrew nut. It did everything I needed in HO, but I'd still be turning my first set of wheels in garden scale if I hadn't bought the Sieg C2 when I retired. :roll:

How rigid do you find the topslide on the new Warco, compared to your old Clarke?

Regards,
Graeme

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:07 pm

Thank you for you advice Gents. This is something I will have to resolve but to be honest finishing other tasks around the house and garden so I can then get on with building a railway comes first.
Reading your latest post tells me how ignorant I am about machine tools. I think it is difficult to say exactly what I would use a lathe to do as I am convinced there must be lots of things it would make easier if I did but know it. Some years ago working as a development engineer I did have access to such equipment and have aquired a Proxxon MF70 Mill. Which I need to learn to use.

Don