FINAL NEW FWLR LINE

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NEW FWLR LINE

Post by ge_rik » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:07 pm

Excellent work, Rod. I especially like the way you've done the brickwork. Very realistic!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE (Watermill)

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:05 pm

For those who don't have access to YouTube, I have now been able to load the video of the Watermill onto the forum.

gregh
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by gregh » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:36 pm

What a brilliant piece of modelling. How you have the patience to do that brickwork is beyond me.
Greg from downunder.
The Sandstone & Termite's website: https://members.optusnet.com.au/satr/satr.htm

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:11 am

Catching up after a prolonged absence. The water mill is very impressive Rod. An excellent build. The use of 'real' bricks just demonstrates how effective it is for producing a realistic appearance to brickwork. :thumbright:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:03 am

It's been some time since I posted about something on our line, mainly because I got myself a 3D printer has a Christmas present for me... :lol And getting some work done on the line was put on hold because of it. That wasn't the only reason though, I have had a bad start to 2021 with health and other issues, like my youngest daughter having her own crisis. But hopefully most of it is a thing of the past.

Anyway here are a few photos for you.

This is the line going from the raised bed over the waterfall. It was a bit tricky because Anne needs to get to her Fairy Garden because the fairies are really lazy and it gets overgrown very quickly.

The bridge is easily took off so Anne can get to the garden.

The rest of the line is now finished, although there still needs some tiding up of the boards.... :scratch: They do look ugly.........

ImageImage

On the 3D printing side of things, I have managed to make something finally for the line. The previous things I have done were for family, like the usual stuff that seem useless to us but for them are brilliant things.
I am digressing, I have tried to print some chassis but getting them to look alright and to fit the axles is proving a little bit of a pain for me.
Anyway this is what I have managed to do It has taken about 10 hours to print off the individual sleepers.

ImageImage

The steps I managed to print completely.

I need to finish the weathering yet, it does look rubbish. I have used real coal and crushed, bashed the bits of coal, that helped me immensely with some problems I have had.... :lol: :lol:

This is were I intend to place the coal stage on our line. It's were the locos will come too when I get the shed made for it.

Hopefully we can start to run some trains this year now, unless other things get in the way..... :lol:
Now hopefully Steve will reply, when he is not too busy, with his superior chassis so I can get some rolling stock onto the our line too. More builds...... :roll: :roll:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:38 am

Looking good, Rod. I hope your daughter is over the worst.

Rik
------------------------

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:40 am

I think the coal staithe looks really good Rod - suitably weathered I would have said 8)
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by BWLR » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:30 pm

The coaling stage looks great! I wouldn't change much on the weathering either, it looks rather good as it is to me.
Bishops Woodland Light Railway - Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:39 am

BWLR wrote: ↑Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:30 pm The coaling stage looks great! I wouldn't change much on the weathering either, it looks rather good as it is to me.
I agree, it's looking really good. Great to see so much progress Rod, looking forward to seeing some trains running when the time's right.

Andrew.

PS You're quite right about the theraputic effects of bashing a lump of coal!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:22 pm

Nice work Rod, I really like the coaling stage, you have worked wonders with your printer, I wouldn't have a clue.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks for the nice compliments guys.

Hopefully Andrew I can get some locos running this year, the 3d printer though is taking up a lot of my time at the moment. I really do need to tear myself away from it.... :lol: :lol:

Thanks Peter, I don't have much of a clue myself really. It's just practice and more practice until it looks about right. You know me mate, I do like to overdo things somewhat... :roll:

I am in the stages of printing a chassis and some frames to put on it. It's challenging, but hopefully I can get something that is acceptable.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:11 pm

Lovely work and I hope the personal issues are on the mend too.

That coal stage is an impressive wee beastie. I do hope to eventually get an 3D printer soon, mainly for being able to make little bits which are taking a little more than 10 hours to make.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 01, 2021 8:43 am

Sylvian Tennant wrote: ↑Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:11 pm Lovely work and I hope the personal issues are on the mend too.

That coal stage is an impressive wee beastie. I do hope to eventually get an 3D printer soon, mainly for being able to make little bits which are taking a little more than 10 hours to make.
Thank you for your kind comments.

To be honest I have got mine to try and make something that would run on our line, but as yet it's proving a little bit too much for me. But then I am also able to make things for the family and ourselves. And have done a little fairy house and a fairy for Anne's Fairy Garden plus some name plates for the Grandkids, for which they have painted themselves. I really do enjoy using the 3d printer and I am getting to grips a little bit more with Tinkercad, so it's not a complete waste, although I don't thing I will ever stop making things out of wood and HIP's. There is no comparison for me anyway and it does mean I get to use my own little bit of skills more. So they do run side by side in that if I want to try and make something for a model or our line it's pretty easy to knock something simple up and there is always Thingiverse. I have put something on there, but it's not railway related, it's just a simple rack of paint pot holder's. Not worth putting in our forum really, anyone can do them.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:03 am

I'm of the same opinion. I think one would be useful for myself in the near future - Mainly for bits for my stock, I'm enjoying adding embellishments and parts to really bring them to life but recently I've been batch making some vans and the the sheer amount of money, time and effort going into them with the hope they turn out to be something from my imagination is persuading me more to look into a 3D printer for future use.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:08 pm

I'm sure many of you will have read elsewhere that Rod has been unwell for some time now. Today I received an email from Anne to give the latest update on his progress. He has a long standing heart condition, which, combined with the stress of another house move recently, means that things have not been easy for either of them. At last Rod appears to be showing signs of improvement and is even planning to start another FWLR at their new home in 2022, a most positive sign!
Anne is keeping Rod updated on Forum matters, so I'm sure he would be delighted to hear from any members who wish him well in the future.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:38 pm

Many thanks for the update Peter, I was wondering how things were.

Anne and Rod, so glad to hear that you're well, and that things are gradually improving for you. Look after yourselves - I wish you both a very Happy Christmas.

All the best,

Andrew.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Wishing you a speedy return to good health Rod. Good luck with the new modelling plans!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:07 pm

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:08 pm I'm sure many of you will have read elsewhere that Rod has been unwell for some time now. Today I received an email from Anne to give the latest update on his progress. He has a long standing heart condition, which, combined with the stress of another house move recently, means that things have not been easy for either of them. At last Rod appears to be showing signs of improvement and is even planning to start another FWLR at their new home in 2022, a most positive sign!
Anne is keeping Rod updated on Forum matters, so I'm sure he would be delighted to hear from any members who wish him well in the future.
Thanks for that update, Peter. Pleased to hear Rod is on the road to recovery and he's planning another incarnation of the FWLR.

Anne, if you are reading this, pass on my best wishes to Rod.

Happy Christmas to you both

Rik
------------------------

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:58 pm

I would like to thank Peter Butler for his very kind words in this very trying time for Rod. And also to thank those members who have wished Rod a speedy recovery. I can tell you when I told Rod of the kind wishes that the members had sent, he was really moved with them.

Rod is still not very well and he his finding it hard to cope. But things like this do really help him on this hard road he is having to take.

Best Wish's and a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Thank you.

Anne.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:57 pm

Just catching up on the forum, very sorry to hear Rod is unwell. Thanks for the updates Anne & Peter and please pass on my best wishes to him.