FINAL NEW FWLR LINE

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:36 am

Thanks for the nice compliments guys.

Hopefully Andrew I can get some locos running this year, the 3d printer though is taking up a lot of my time at the moment. I really do need to tear myself away from it.... :lol: :lol:

Thanks Peter, I don't have much of a clue myself really. It's just practice and more practice until it looks about right. You know me mate, I do like to overdo things somewhat... :roll:

I am in the stages of printing a chassis and some frames to put on it. It's challenging, but hopefully I can get something that is acceptable.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:11 pm

Lovely work and I hope the personal issues are on the mend too.

That coal stage is an impressive wee beastie. I do hope to eventually get an 3D printer soon, mainly for being able to make little bits which are taking a little more than 10 hours to make.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 01, 2021 8:43 am

Sylvian Tennant wrote: ↑Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:11 pm Lovely work and I hope the personal issues are on the mend too.

That coal stage is an impressive wee beastie. I do hope to eventually get an 3D printer soon, mainly for being able to make little bits which are taking a little more than 10 hours to make.
Thank you for your kind comments.

To be honest I have got mine to try and make something that would run on our line, but as yet it's proving a little bit too much for me. But then I am also able to make things for the family and ourselves. And have done a little fairy house and a fairy for Anne's Fairy Garden plus some name plates for the Grandkids, for which they have painted themselves. I really do enjoy using the 3d printer and I am getting to grips a little bit more with Tinkercad, so it's not a complete waste, although I don't thing I will ever stop making things out of wood and HIP's. There is no comparison for me anyway and it does mean I get to use my own little bit of skills more. So they do run side by side in that if I want to try and make something for a model or our line it's pretty easy to knock something simple up and there is always Thingiverse. I have put something on there, but it's not railway related, it's just a simple rack of paint pot holder's. Not worth putting in our forum really, anyone can do them.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:03 am

I'm of the same opinion. I think one would be useful for myself in the near future - Mainly for bits for my stock, I'm enjoying adding embellishments and parts to really bring them to life but recently I've been batch making some vans and the the sheer amount of money, time and effort going into them with the hope they turn out to be something from my imagination is persuading me more to look into a 3D printer for future use.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:08 pm

I'm sure many of you will have read elsewhere that Rod has been unwell for some time now. Today I received an email from Anne to give the latest update on his progress. He has a long standing heart condition, which, combined with the stress of another house move recently, means that things have not been easy for either of them. At last Rod appears to be showing signs of improvement and is even planning to start another FWLR at their new home in 2022, a most positive sign!
Anne is keeping Rod updated on Forum matters, so I'm sure he would be delighted to hear from any members who wish him well in the future.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:38 pm

Many thanks for the update Peter, I was wondering how things were.

Anne and Rod, so glad to hear that you're well, and that things are gradually improving for you. Look after yourselves - I wish you both a very Happy Christmas.

All the best,

Andrew.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Wishing you a speedy return to good health Rod. Good luck with the new modelling plans!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:07 pm

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:08 pm I'm sure many of you will have read elsewhere that Rod has been unwell for some time now. Today I received an email from Anne to give the latest update on his progress. He has a long standing heart condition, which, combined with the stress of another house move recently, means that things have not been easy for either of them. At last Rod appears to be showing signs of improvement and is even planning to start another FWLR at their new home in 2022, a most positive sign!
Anne is keeping Rod updated on Forum matters, so I'm sure he would be delighted to hear from any members who wish him well in the future.
Thanks for that update, Peter. Pleased to hear Rod is on the road to recovery and he's planning another incarnation of the FWLR.

Anne, if you are reading this, pass on my best wishes to Rod.

Happy Christmas to you both

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:58 pm

I would like to thank Peter Butler for his very kind words in this very trying time for Rod. And also to thank those members who have wished Rod a speedy recovery. I can tell you when I told Rod of the kind wishes that the members had sent, he was really moved with them.

Rod is still not very well and he his finding it hard to cope. But things like this do really help him on this hard road he is having to take.

Best Wish's and a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

Thank you.

Anne.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:57 pm

Just catching up on the forum, very sorry to hear Rod is unwell. Thanks for the updates Anne & Peter and please pass on my best wishes to him.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:54 am

Sorry I missed this before Christmas (not spent much time on the forum lately) but please pass on my best wishes to Rod, and best wishes to you both for a better New Year. I look forward to seeing Rod in person when the weather improves.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE THIS IS NOW OUR PERMANENT LINE

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:00 am

Hi guys,

Well it's been sometime since I have posted on my thread, but all is well now. I am mostly over my health problems and I have been getting better by the day, but I will still have to spend less time on the forum for a little bit longer mainly because I am finding it harder to concentrate and words keep on getting mixed up, I :dontknow: why. I have been busy with some builds, but I my eyes are getting worse and it also seems that I have started to get a little shaking in my hands :roll: and doing some fine detail painting is proving hard now, but I do get by all be it a lot slower and it won't pass the Inspectors keen eye :shock: still so long as it doesn't end up like a Picasso. That wouldn't be a bad thing though :lol: :lol:

I have even started to do something with the new permanent garden at the address we now live at, it's been either far too wet, I don't know where these weather and news people get their information from, (driest winter since records began). I don't think so, we had so much rain since November 2021, it has stopped Anne getting her garden ready for how she wants it and I am not going to argue with her over it. :lol: And now of course it far too hot to get out and start digging for me. Don't worry guys I am not going to be digging 6 feet down, I will leave that for the grave diggers.. :lol: :lol: It will only be a couple of inches so I can lay the track just level or below the lawn. It's to make mowing the lawn easier for me and Anne.

A few photos of the garden, unfortunately I can't get high enough to give an overhead view, but it's fairly square with a shed in one corner near the house. It is approximately 26 feet by 24 feet, so it's not far off being square for those who are far better at planning than I am....I will need to do another reply to show some more photos of the garden.
tempImageQpypbR.gif
tempImageQpypbR.gif (6.48 MiB) Viewed 3900 times
tempImageHRReYB.gif
tempImageHRReYB.gif (14.27 MiB) Viewed 3900 times
tempImagehooORk.gif
tempImagehooORk.gif (7.96 MiB) Viewed 3900 times
tempImagesf1K4Q.gif
tempImagesf1K4Q.gif (8.02 MiB) Viewed 3900 times
tempImageJLtSZQ.gif
tempImageJLtSZQ.gif (8.93 MiB) Viewed 3900 times
tempImageSiSkU1.gif
tempImageSiSkU1.gif (6.98 MiB) Viewed 3900 times

I will need to do another reply to show some more photos of the garden.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: NEW FWLR LINE THIS IS NOW OUR PERMANENT LINE

Post by FWLR » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:10 am

Some more photos showing what I have done with the start of the line.
tempImagezzIkjo.gif
tempImagezzIkjo.gif (7.93 MiB) Viewed 3896 times
tempImagek74Oue.gif
tempImagek74Oue.gif (9.05 MiB) Viewed 3896 times
tempImage2unuAN.gif
tempImage2unuAN.gif (9.19 MiB) Viewed 3896 times
tempImagewyoWYu.gif
tempImagewyoWYu.gif (9.82 MiB) Viewed 3896 times

We have talked about how to lay the line and Anne really didn't want to have the line on stilts. she wants to be able to get to her borders. Who am I to argue, although it may be a little bit difficult for me to steam up and put rolling stock onto the line, I will manage hopefully, or unless I can get something built that will allow me to lower the locos and rolling stock onto the track.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:03 pm

Looking good Rod, and you've got a nice big space to play with. Your most important tool might be a good brush to sweep the clippings off the line after you've cut the lawn...

Is there any part of the garden where the ground drops away at all, where you could have just a short section of line that's a little higher for railing stock and servicing?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:26 pm

Good to see you out and about again Rod, your garden looks very tidy and easy to manage, so very little maintenance required on the railway once installed.
The bending down part is not the best for us 'seniors' so perhaps a small pit with steps down would be useful, if you can find someone to help out?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

BWLR
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: FINAL NEW FWLR LINE

Post by BWLR » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:43 am

Great to see you are back in action Rod and making progress on your new line. It looks a nice space but as someone with a ground level line I know all about the extra maintenance issues it can mean plus the wear and tear on the knees and back bending down all the time! :D would agree with the other comments about trying to find a space for a steam up area with a pit, if at all possible.
Bishops Woodland Light Railway - Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:11 am

Andrew wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:03 pm Looking good Rod, and you've got a nice big space to play with. Your most important tool might be a good brush to sweep the clippings off the line after you've cut the lawn...

Is there any part of the garden where the ground drops away at all, where you could have just a short section of line that's a little higher for railing stock and servicing?
Thanks Andrew.
There isn't much of a drop as you may be able to make out on the photo looking back to the raised fish pond. That is the highest, apart from the bit behind the shed and that's Anne's little bit in front of her Fairy Garden :lol: :lol: I have had some ideas about making some kind of a lift, that would able me to steam up and lower the loco onto the track, but that needs some thinking about and I am not in that much of a hurry just yet, but you never know, things do happen quickly when I get going with an idea...
:lol :lol

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:20 am

Peter Butler wrote: ↑Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:26 pm Good to see you out and about again Rod, your garden looks very tidy and easy to manage, so very little maintenance required on the railway once installed.
The bending down part is not the best for us 'seniors' so perhaps a small pit with steps down would be useful, if you can find someone to help out?
Thanks for your kind words Peter.

Yes your are right, it's also backs that can be a bit of a nuisance too.

The pit wouldn't work really Peter, mainly because the garden really isn't high enough at one end or the side to do one, plus the kids are now more involved with their own lives which I can't say anything about really. I let them get on with it and hope they don't make many mistakes... :roll: So it would be left to me and Anne to try and do some digging. What I have started doing with the line is about all I can manage now, so it wouldn't be an option.
Unless of course I could use one of those digger thingies..... :lol :lol and I don't think Anne would allow that somehow... :roll:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:21 am

BWLR wrote: ↑Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:43 am Great to see you are back in action Rod and making progress on your new line. It looks a nice space but as someone with a ground level line I know all about the extra maintenance issues it can mean plus the wear and tear on the knees and back bending down all the time! :D would agree with the other comments about trying to find a space for a steam up area with a pit, if at all possible.
Thank you for your reply, it is very welcoming. But has I have said in my reply to Peter, it wouldn't work really.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 22, 2023 7:02 am

It's been sometime since I have done anything with our line after starting last year, but I just wasn't up to doing anymore with it due to me having a slight relapse. I am alright now, but it has left me struggling to breath after doing anything strenuous. It's nothing I need to worry about and hopefully if I take my time, which have been doing, I can carry on although a bit slower than usual. Has some members will know I have not the quickest at doing most thing anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So after starting to dig out a channel for the intention of laying boards, Anne and I talked about lifting the line up. Now some members will also know that I started showing some photos of my intention of doing that way all along the line.
0ED2AFFA-2B36-4C7B-8DFD-49F6EF7A140D.jpg
0ED2AFFA-2B36-4C7B-8DFD-49F6EF7A140D.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 2926 times

But now this is what we have planed.

4EAD2C4C-2F85-45C5-802F-DDBB6D0AF77E.jpg
4EAD2C4C-2F85-45C5-802F-DDBB6D0AF77E.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 2926 times
9638B0B1-5A32-4C57-968A-393623ED855D.jpg
9638B0B1-5A32-4C57-968A-393623ED855D.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 2926 times
A5710EBB-791B-4021-80AF-BA3ED96EE8F8.jpg
A5710EBB-791B-4021-80AF-BA3ED96EE8F8.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 2926 times
4CCA70BC-0CF2-4332-936B-F9BA59499CB7.jpg
4CCA70BC-0CF2-4332-936B-F9BA59499CB7.jpg (2.26 MiB) Viewed 2926 times
tempImagelBGVYC.gif
tempImagelBGVYC.gif (9.57 MiB) Viewed 2926 times

The bridge can be removed easily, so Anne can get to the borders.

The scaffold board on the last photo is subject to cost and also, if replaced, will it lift the rest of the line up. Anne and I agreed that the line wouldn't be to high making it difficult for Anne to get to the boarders and see to her plants and any weeding. The rest of the sleepers will be going around the island in front of Anne's Fairy Garden, I am thinking it will take 3 more sleepers at the last time I bought the others, are Β£36+ delivery, which is Β£6, for us that's a lot of money to pay in one go, so it maybe another month or two before all of the line is complete.

More to come.