The Charlwood Light Railway (CWLR)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Re: The Charlwood Light Railway (CWLR)

Post by DonW » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:00 am

I can see the pictures in three posts. I am using Crome browser on Windows 10 on a laptop with a decent Broadband (about 40Mbps average).

Don

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:53 am

FWLR wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:29 am Hi Rob,

Just some brilliant photos and you should be very proud to have a collection of very fine locos. I love your line, it’s simple, yet brilliantly thought out as well. Love the way you wind the locos around the tree. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Could you put a camera on a tripod, or even put it packed up on some thing soft like a cushion and take a short video from both ends. Just a thought. :idea:
Thought I would reply with this post I put up on Rob's thread on this date and time.

It clearly states I can see Rob's photos. But now I can't even see them. I have been using this MacBook Pro for over 4 years now, so it's not my device or is it the average Mb. Safari update their security on a regular basis.

Sorry Rob, but even those links won't open for me. I get a message if a site is not secure, therefor it won't let me get on it. Your photos on the forum are not the only ones that my laptop won't let me see. On some emails I get, there are photos that won't open on them also.

It's something that can be rectified I am sure. Hopefully in the not to distant future we can meet up and I would then be able to see your line in real time... :thumbright: :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:30 pm

This is not an issue with the forum.

Linking to 3rd party websites for images is not always reliable which is why you can upload images directly to the forum (this also means as time goes by threads do not have broken images).

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:32 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:53 am
FWLR wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:29 am Hi Rob,

Just some brilliant photos and you should be very proud to have a collection of very fine locos. I love your line, it’s simple, yet brilliantly thought out as well. Love the way you wind the locos around the tree. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Could you put a camera on a tripod, or even put it packed up on some thing soft like a cushion and take a short video from both ends. Just a thought. :idea:
Thought I would reply with this post I put up on Rob's thread on this date and time.

It clearly states I can see Rob's photos. But now I can't even see them. I have been using this MacBook Pro for over 4 years now, so it's not my device or is it the average Mb. Safari update their security on a regular basis.

Sorry Rob, but even those links won't open for me. I get a message if a site is not secure, therefor it won't let me get on it. Your photos on the forum are not the only ones that my laptop won't let me see. On some emails I get, there are photos that won't open on them also.

It's something that can be rectified I am sure. Hopefully in the not to distant future we can meet up and I would then be able to see your line in real time... :thumbright: :thumbright:
That sounds like you’ve got some sort of security software blocking imgur Rod? I’m also using a MacBook Pro and it’s fine, although the original issue did only occur when I posted from the MacBook as opposed to my iPad.
tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:30 pm This is not an issue with the forum.

Linking to 3rd party websites for images is not always reliable which is why you can upload images directly to the forum (this also means as time goes by threads do not have broken images).
Unfortunately forum software doesn’t usually cope too well with the 36mp files from my D810!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:50 pm

IMGUR are reducing the size and quality of your images which is normal as websites would run painfully slow if all online images were MB in size!

https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000083326

The forum has a size limit for the same reason:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 33&t=11543

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:04 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:50 pm IMGUR are reducing the size and quality of your images which is normal as websites would run painfully slow if all online images were MB in size!

https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000083326

The forum has a size limit for the same reason:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 33&t=11543
Yes I know, but it’s easier letting them do it than me having to do it manually in photoshop.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:13 am

Well Rob, job sorted.... :thumbright:

I have an App that monitors scammers and hackers, even though Apple do have very secure operating systems, they are not totally secure. They will tell you that themselves. If a scammer or hacker wants to get in they will. So on the App Store, Apple have some apps that they recommend to help prevent such people. The one I am using at the moment is Sophos, which is very good I must say.
I no longer get those stupid people with their emails asking if I need a JOB...I am blooming retired..... :lol: :lol:

I am now seeing your photos and I can concur that they are brilliant. The first B/W one for me is very atmospheric. The others that are coloured at first I thought you had eaten to much Beetroot :lol: :lol: The one with the loco facing us is just superb and all of them look as though they are in 3D.

PS. Aren't MacBooks brilliant...... :thumbright: :thumbright:

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:53 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:13 am Well Rob, job sorted.... :thumbright:

I have an App that monitors scammers and hackers, even though Apple do have very secure operating systems, they are not totally secure. They will tell you that themselves. If a scammer or hacker wants to get in they will. So on the App Store, Apple have some apps that they recommend to help prevent such people. The one I am using at the moment is Sophos, which is very good I must say.
I no longer get those stupid people with their emails asking if I need a JOB...I am blooming retired..... :lol: :lol:

I am now seeing your photos and I can concur that they are brilliant. The first B/W one for me is very atmospheric. The others that are coloured at first I thought you had eaten to much Beetroot :lol: :lol: The one with the loco facing us is just superb and all of them look as though they are in 3D.

PS. Aren't MacBooks brilliant...... :thumbright: :thumbright:
That’s good news Rod! Glad you can now see them.

I did correct the colour in the beetroot shots (they were shot under the Christmas lights) but felt that the colour cast added to the festive feeling :D

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:31 pm

The weather is good, so what else is there to do whilst under lockdown and self isolating?

No.9 rumbles down platform 2 at Charlwood with a lineside clearance train;

No.3 Takes water whilst shunting Top-End Wharf;

And later on, No.3 at the head of a short mixed;

I’ve finally managed to finish off the sidings at Top-End which I’ve decided are on a quay side. I’ve also made a substantial start on my new 009 layout in the loft, Turtle Bay. My productivity has gone through the roof!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm

BorisSpencer wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:13 pm I'll just add one thing to the toolkit mix: A glass worktop protector or glass chopping board. Currently 2 for £5 in Lidl, other cheap supermarkets are available.

I find this gives a dead flat surface on which to do glue-ups, I then have a number of 1-2-3 blocks and engineering v-blocks with which to create 90 degree verticals, they also have plenty of weight to them. Every so often the board can be scraped clean with a stanley-knife blade in a pair of pliers.
Great idea. Thanks! :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:02 pm

RobRossington wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:31 pm The weather is good, so what else is there to do whilst under lockdown and self isolating?

No.9 rumbles down platform 2 at Charlwood with a lineside clearance train;

No.3 Takes water whilst shunting Top-End Wharf;

And later on, No.3 at the head of a short mixed;

I’ve finally managed to finish off the sidings at Top-End which I’ve decided are on a quay side. I’ve also made a substantial start on my new 009 layout in the loft, Turtle Bay. My productivity has gone through the roof!
Great looking set of photos, Rob.
I'd hoped to run some trains this week but still sorting out one of my stations. Hopefully run something tomorrow..... :bounce:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:59 pm

I agree, they are a great set of photos. The low angle does it for me.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:46 am

Fantastic Rob. Great to see some more photos of your brilliant line.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:31 pm

Thanks Guys, it’s good to be back out there! I must say I also like photos to be taken from a low angle (as you can probably tell). I guess it’s to do it being more immersive.

Anyway, today’s job was to get the other Jackson-Sharp into a state that it could run. In other words, it needed couplers fitting and the horrible brass pickups removing from the bogies. The pickups added a ridiculous amount of drag to each wheel set! The lights will be retained but will be battery powered.

It’s now had swift16 chopper couplers fitted and a repaint into base red. I’ve installed the new couplers so that they can swivel to allow the coach to negotiate the tight curves at Top-End.

Tomorrow’s job is to finish the paintwork and put it all back together. I’d also like to see if there’s a way to lower the ride height slightly as I quite like the low slung look of the Hungarian coaches on the WLLR;
FB050CD4-8078-4138-BB5D-25B9D7C96197.jpeg
FB050CD4-8078-4138-BB5D-25B9D7C96197.jpeg (143.05 KiB) Viewed 5616 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:43 am

I rather like the paint colour has is Rob.... :)

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 am

Thanks Rob - it's always a pleasure to see pictures of your line. The carriages will look great running together.

You've inspired me to do a little clearance work and maybe run a train myself...

Cheers,

Andrew.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:05 am

Andrew wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:20 am Thanks Rob - it's always a pleasure to see pictures of your line. The carriages will look great running together.

You've inspired me to do a little clearance work and maybe run a train myself...

Cheers,

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew, I’m hoping so. Over time they’ll have some of their Americanisms toned down some more but for now the paint job will do.

Enjoy getting out there! :)
FWLR wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:43 am I rather like the paint colour has is Rob.... :)
To be honest, so do I.

I’ve actually run out of the grey paint that I used on the brake, so I was going to use another that I have in that’s a similar shade but Matt instead of satin. I was also going to do the roof with a darker grey colour. I’ll do that today and see how it feels.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Getting there!

Please excuse the loose wire, I haven’t put everything back together properly yet...

I’ve also added a small piece of chain across the gap in the railings on the guards balcony. All other balconies will now be fitted the same way.

Still to come, vacuum bags on the saloon car, vacuum cylinders underneath (in order from brandbright), lamp irons on the outer ends of the set and reinstate the lights on both cars.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:39 pm

That looks fantastic!

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Andrew wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:39 pm That looks fantastic!
Thanks Andrew!

There’s a few things I’m not 100% happy with, the roof being the main one. The masking tape I used wasn’t my usual choice, and there’s a bit of bleeding on the clerestory and I’m not convinced by the colour. These were always intended to be tinkered with so I’m not bothered about changing things in the future :)

I managed to fit the lamp irons this evening...
E4C005FC-5E45-4A75-9AFE-13063E2A48FD.jpeg
E4C005FC-5E45-4A75-9AFE-13063E2A48FD.jpeg (258.29 KiB) Viewed 6153 times