The Charlwood Light Railway (CWLR)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
philipy

Re: The Charlwood Light Railway (CWLR)

Post by philipy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:07 am

Lord of The Isles looks very fine, now it's finished and the livery really suits after all your deliberations. Well done all round.
Philip

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks Guys, I’m really pleased with how both locos have turned out, but particularly the 2095. It took a lot of bravery to take an airbrush to it, I’ve never painted something that big before, and I’m not sure I ever want to again! :lol:

Today was the first day I’ve been able to get out in the garden properly, and although it was good running weather there’s a few jobs that I want to do before I run any trains.

The first thing to tackle is Top End. I’d managed to get this area around 50% complete last year before time, weather and ideas ran out.

Today’s focus was on the new goods yard, this is where a large conifer stood up until the middle of last summer. Unfortunately it wasn’t in the best condition, and when the new conservatory was built it was somewhat in the way of the builders. Sad, because it made a nice background, but welcome as it gave me more siding space!

Today I finally managed to lay a decent base for the track to sit on, and some track. Just need to ballast it all properly now!

And with a wagon....

The point has been recovered from Charlwood station, it was actually the old ‘king point’. It is an LGB R1, which I am attempting to replace with R3s to make shunting easier. That’s a job for the weekend!

No trains until the track is joined up again!

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:37 am

Those are a couple of nice shots, but it will look a lot better with the geometry sorted out by a larger radius point.

Quick question: What is the origin of the fencing to the LHS of the buffers?
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:23 am

I like the sleeper buffer stop. I wish I'd thought of that. Would have saved a lot of time and money .... :)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:51 am

ge_rik wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:23 am I like the sleeper buffer stop. I wish I'd thought of that. Would have saved a lot of time and money .... :)

Rik
It was intended to be temporary, but I quite like it!
philipy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:37 am Those are a couple of nice shots, but it will look a lot better with the geometry sorted out by a larger radius point.

Quick question: What is the origin of the fencing to the LHS of the buffers?
Unfortunately, apart from the main loop point in the distance, there isn’t enough space to use larger radius points here. The replacement R3s will be going in at the other end of the line.

The fencing was bought at Llanfair a couple of years ago. I think it’s from Black Cat Bridges, but I could be wrong.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:21 am

Nice extension Rob. I also like the buffers, brilliant idea, a great money saver and they do look good.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:55 am

That's looking very good, and will look even better when it's ballasted.

Shunting puzzle layouts cropped up in conversation here a while ago and this reminds me of "Inglenook Sidings" kind of layouts where short sidings make shunting a challenge...

Cheers,

Andrew.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks Guys, I do like shunting layouts, and as my railway is pretty small, shunting makes up quite a big chunk of an operating session.

To that end, I’ve been working on other improvements.

This was the layout of Charlwood Station throat for the past 12 years. It’s served me well, but with an increasing amount of chain coupled rolling stock and larger locos it was starting to become somewhat constrained by the LGB R1 points.

So, over the past few weeks I’ve been acquiring LGB R3 points when they’ve come up on eBay.

Unfortunately these have a different track spacing than R1 points, but they can be cut down to size.

With the old track removed I could lay the new points and curves out in order to determine how much I’d need to remove.

Believe me, taking a hack saw to a 40-50 quid set of points requires quite a bit of bravery!

I’m glad I did it though, the result looks far better! Trains now traverse the curve much more smoothly. Hopefully the issues I’ve been having with larger LGB 4 wheeled wagons coupled to locos with chains toppling over as they come through the reverse curves will be consigned to the past!

Now I just need to do the same at Top End with this point.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:58 am

Looks great that Rob. Bit of a headache sorting it out I bet, but in the end it's worth it.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:58 am

That's the kind of sidings I wanted to achieve but I didn't have the space. Magnetic uncouplers and Slomos make it all possible with live steam!

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:47 am

Great work rob, my line is mainly 0-4-0s and 0-6-0s because of the tightness of the curves and points but a couple of 2-6-2s could make it around ( accucraft W&L 14 and Lew) once the extension is finished im mainly going to run 0-4-0s but will have my 2-4-2 lyn as battery powered so i have something else to run as well.
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:36 am

Looks like a great improvement. R1 reverse curves and crossovers are a challenge for most sorts of rolling stock (I speak from experience). Like you, I've been steadily replacing my R1s over the past five years or so as funds permit. In the process, I've discovered Trainline R2 points. A bit harder to find, but they seem to be a good compromise where space is tight.

Before ......
Before.JPG
Before.JPG (142.89 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
..... and after
After.JPG
After.JPG (117.95 KiB) Viewed 5743 times
As you can see, an additional short spacer was required to maintain the same geometry, but the reverse curve is eased. The move even brought the sun out .... :)

Rik
------------------------

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks Guys! Definitely a headache to get it all right, but having had the first running session today it has definitely been worth it!

Rik, thanks for sharing those pictures. Those trainline R2 points might be just what I need to replace the last mainline R1 point on the railway, the one for the balloon loop.

So, as already mentioned, today was the first day I could actually get out in the garden for a decent running session.

No.3 is prepared for service outside the engine shed;

Shortly after No.3’s departure, No.4 is seen peeking out of the engine shed;

No.3 is seen running round after completing its shunting duties;

No.9 is in the siding, as No.1 runs round;

No.3 is seen passing the engine shed as it heads out with its goods train;

Between trains, No.9 is seen shunting a single log wagon;

Slightly later in the day, and No.3 has returned. It has been left simmering whilst it’s crew nip into the engine shed for their tea break;

More to come....

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:04 pm

A few more....

No. 3 arrives with a van train, as No.9 prepares to leave;

And then later on, the two trains cross at Top End;

No.9 is seen as it rattles through the pointwork at Charlwood, making full use of the increased line speed allowed by the larger radius points;

With its duties complete, No.3 has retired to the disposal road. No.1 is now being prepared for the evening shift;

Unfortunately No.1 failed on shed with an RC problem, so No.9 was sent out to deputise;

Somewhere between Charlwood and Top End;

Company was provided by this little one, who was only about 3 months old the last time a train ran. She’s now 9 months old, and was slightly puzzled by the big noisy green thing that had invaded her garden!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:12 pm

Hi Rob, I do like your railway and locomotives, but I love your dog, she's gorgeous. Is she a Cocker-Poo?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:56 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:12 pm Hi Rob, I do like your railway and locomotives, but I love your dog, she's gorgeous. Is she a Cocker-Poo?
Thanks Peter! She’s actually a full Cocker Spaniel, she’s just due for a haircut :lol:

Her name is Wilma :)

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:20 am

What a great spot for the engine shed. Looks quite natural under the trees. Some really great shots. Very atmospheric.

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:32 am

Great photos, lot's of atmosphere.

Wilma makes my dog look very old!

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:50 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:32 am Great photos, lot's of atmosphere.

Wilma makes my dog look very old!
Thanks Tom!
ge_rik wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:20 am What a great spot for the engine shed. Looks quite natural under the trees. Some really great shots. Very atmospheric.

Rik
Thanks Rik, as with many things it sort of happened by accident.

It used to be where the loading dock is. I needed more siding space and more engine shed space, so I stole a bit more garden from my dad and moved it....

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Great photos Rob! They set the scene really well.
Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway