The Charlwood Light Railway (CWLR)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: The Charlwood Light Railway (CWLR)

Post by FWLR » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:33 am

Great photos and videos Rob of your line. :thumbright: :thumbright: Thats how we would like ours to look like....

My Mum had a Cocker Spaniel before Mum passed away. She said "Cocker Spaniels were her favourite dog" next to... Lancashire Heelers of course.... :lol: :lol:

fullsizeoutput_298.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_298.jpeg (217.98 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
JPEG image-B09EEE895707-1.jpeg
JPEG image-B09EEE895707-1.jpeg (142.47 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
JPEG image-C55A7BBBAA80-1.jpeg
JPEG image-C55A7BBBAA80-1.jpeg (114.32 KiB) Viewed 5667 times
JPEG image-0292E2C001D2-1.jpeg
JPEG image-0292E2C001D2-1.jpeg (129.45 KiB) Viewed 5667 times

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:25 pm

philipy wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:15 am You shouldn't have forgotten THAT one! Lovely shot.
I know! Believe me, if you meet her, you’ll never forget her :lol:
FWLR wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:33 am Great photos and videos Rob of your line. :thumbright: :thumbright: Thats how we would like ours to look like....

My Mum had a Cocker Spaniel before Mum passed away. She said "Cocker Spaniels were her favourite dog" next to... Lancashire Heelers of course.... :lol: :lol:

fullsizeoutput_298.jpeg
JPEG image-B09EEE895707-1.jpeg
JPEG image-C55A7BBBAA80-1.jpeg
JPEG image-0292E2C001D2-1.jpeg
Thanks Rod, it’s been a most enjoyable weekend!

Cute! Got to admit, not a dog I’m overly familiar with, but very sweet :)

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Wed May 01, 2019 12:03 pm

A few days ago I said that I needed some more carriages. I’m planning on adding a couple of Swift16 bogie Carr’s to the roster later in the year, but two distinct trains would be nice for busy days.

So, I picked up a couple of these from my local garden railway supplier, with the intention of anglicising them a bit. Don’t worry, I’m not ‘going American’...

Current plan is a full repaint, chopper couplers and Vac bags, torpedo vents on the roof, duckets and new hand rails.

Essentially the idea is that No. 3 was built by Baldwin for an Australian line, that closed before it could be delivered. The CLR’s General Manager at the time heard about this and, having been impressed by the Baldwins and Alcos used during his time on the front in WW1, decided the railway had to have it. At the same time, another manufacturer, this time in the UK, was building American style carriages for said Australian line, and these were also acquired.
No. 3 was very successful, leading to No. 4 being built at the railway’s own workshops under license (with a much more anglicised look). The carriages however were the only ones built.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 01, 2019 1:06 pm

No idea why I've missed over a week's worth of updates to this thread. Really enjoyed the videos - I do enjoy slow running and shunting operations.

You can sometimes resurrect failed lipos by putting them on a nicd trickle charge cycle for a few minutes to bring them to a safe level for the normal lipo charger to recognise them. HOWEVER, iit's not guaranteed to work and you must monitor the charging very carefully. Ironic, isn't it that it was the battery monitor that drained them. Would be worth fitting battery protection boards to prevent them over discharging.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Wed May 01, 2019 8:39 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:06 pm No idea why I've missed over a week's worth of updates to this thread. Really enjoyed the videos - I do enjoy slow running and shunting operations.

You can sometimes resurrect failed lipos by putting them on a nicd trickle charge cycle for a few minutes to bring them to a safe level for the normal lipo charger to recognise them. HOWEVER, iit's not guaranteed to work and you must monitor the charging very carefully. Ironic, isn't it that it was the battery monitor that drained them. Would be worth fitting battery protection boards to prevent them over discharging.

Rik
Thanks Rik, I can’t be doing with locos flying around everywhere. I like things to be at a realistic speed. I’m the same in OO and 009 too, so poor running locos are a major annoyance.

That’s a handy tip re. li-Po batteries, thanks!

I’ve just discovered some vintage footage of the CLR, believed to have been taken by a local photographer in the 1930s....

In reality, I stuck my iPhone through the cab doors of No.3 and pressed record.....

Oh, and look out for Wilma about half way round...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 02, 2019 7:28 am

Enjoyed that! Clearances are quite tignt in a couple of places, had to hold my breath. That 25mph speed limit sign is quite appopriate - but only on the fast section. ;)

Rik
------------------------

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 am

Lovely video, lovely line, lovely dog!

I agree about your speed as well, thats the way it should be.
Philip

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri May 03, 2019 5:16 pm

philipy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 am Lovely video, lovely line, lovely dog!

I agree about your speed as well, thats the way it should be.
I couldn't agree more - especially about Wilma!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri May 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Wilma seems to have stolen the show, she has certainly found a place in my heart.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Sun May 05, 2019 1:01 am

Peter Butler wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:15 pm Wilma seems to have stolen the show, she has certainly found a place in my heart.
Thanks Everyone.

She has that effect everywhere she goes Peter, people just fall in love with her! They don’t live with her though... :scratch: :lol:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue May 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Great video, I must try that sometime... Very convincing too, with the exception of Wilma's cameo, which made me laugh out loud...

I hadn't worked out the layout of line until I watched the video - it seems like a good way to combine realistic running with a good long run, without taking up too much garden...

Have fun with the new carriages, I look forward to seeing the results. It doesn't get any use nowadays, but I still have a sort of Corris-style bash of one of those - minus balconies and with the ends turned round to form a centre vestibule...

Cheers,

Andrew.

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:20 am

Things have been a bit quiet at the CLR recently. Mostly due to the ridiculously wet June we’ve had but work and holidays also keep getting in the way.

Last week I finally decided to crack on with replacing the last problematic R1 point with an R3. This is one end of the loop at Top-End. With a bit of juggling I’ve managed to make it fit without having to cut anything off the R3 point and curve to maintain spacings. It’s not perfect, but then it is a light railway. I’ll do a fair bit of testing before I ballast it to make it easier to fettle. Can’t see it being a major issue though.

Brass checkrail extensions are on order from Bertram Heyn which will ensure that anything with finescale flanges (I.e. Lady May and the Baguley) will run through without derailing. I used his R1 version for the last few years and they really do make a massive difference.

I’ve also started work on one of the two Bachman’s coaches I purchased. Nothing major is going to be done, just some detailing work and toning down of the Americanisms. To that end I’ve made a start making some new balcony railings;

I’ve also fitted Swift16 chopper couplings. Not Cheap, but certainly worth it.

Since that picture was taken I’ve added a few more bits (roof ventilators and hand rails) and I’ve started repainting the bodywork.
More photos to follow, these were just what I had on my phone whilst I’m sitting in a siding for a few hours in work!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 pm

RobRossington wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:20 am Brass checkrail extensions are on order from Bertram Heyn which will ensure that anything with finescale flanges (I.e. Lady May and the Baguley) will run through without derailing. I used his R1 version for the last few years and they really do make a massive difference.
Sounds interesting. Have you more info?

Rik
------------------------

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:20 pm

ge_rik wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 pm
RobRossington wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:20 am Brass checkrail extensions are on order from Bertram Heyn which will ensure that anything with finescale flanges (I.e. Lady May and the Baguley) will run through without derailing. I used his R1 version for the last few years and they really do make a massive difference.
Sounds interesting. Have you more info?

Rik
Hi Rik,

If you’ve been to the Llanfair Garden railway show you’ll have probably seen Bertram and his funky hat. He owns Modellbau-Werkstatt Heyn and produces all Sorts of accessories like point levers and sleepers. In fact, thinking about it I’m sure I’ve seen some of his point levers on your videos?

Anyway, if you delve into his accessories section you’ll find these https://modell-werkstatt.de/completment ... s-radius-1 for R1 points and these https://modell-werkstatt.de/completemen ... s-radius-3 for R3.

They sit inside the existing check rail, lengthening, raising and thickening it. I found all of my running issues disappeared immediately. You can see two of them in this photo;

It’s worth noting, that coarse scale LGB wheels will still run through without any issues. Well worth it if you’re running live steam etc. No connection, just a happy customer etc.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:25 pm

Surely you can make these yourself, even Plastikard could be used?

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:32 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:25 pm Surely you can make these yourself, even Plastikard could be used?
Yes, no doubt about it. But I’m lazy.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:22 pm

Very interesting. Yes, I've bought stuff from Bertram at Llanfair but not seen these. I certainly have a need for a couple. Do the slots coincide with the sleepers? I might try making one from brass shim.

Rik
------------------------

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:26 pm

ge_rik wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:22 pm Very interesting. Yes, I've bought stuff from Bertram at Llanfair but not seen these. I certainly have a need for a couple. Do the slots coincide with the sleepers? I might try making one from brass shim.

Rik
They do indeed Rik, although to be more specific they coincide with the chairs.

The little brass prongs bend and press against the bottom of the rail web. No need for gluing.

Is it R1 ones you need? If so I have a few going spare!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:00 am

RobRossington wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:26 pm
ge_rik wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:22 pm Very interesting. Yes, I've bought stuff from Bertram at Llanfair but not seen these. I certainly have a need for a couple. Do the slots coincide with the sleepers? I might try making one from brass shim.

Rik
The little brass prongs bend and press against the bottom of the rail web. No need for gluing.
Hi Rob
I was going to say 'No' as the main problem I have is with two R3s, but I then remembered a couple of R1s which occasionally play up with one particular coach bogie. So, yes please, if you can spare a couple for R1s, I'd be grateful. I'll PM you my address.

Thanks

Rik
------------------------

RobRossington
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RobRossington » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:00 am
RobRossington wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:26 pm

Rik
Hi Rob
I was going to say 'No' as the main problem I have is with two R3s, but I then remembered a couple of R1s which occasionally play up with one particular coach bogie. So, yes please, if you can spare a couple for R1s, I'd be grateful. I'll PM you my address.

Thanks

Rik

:thumbright:

A progress update in the Jackson Sharp.
Some of you may recognise the livery. I’ve been using the same scheme in 009 for a few years (I model colonial prototypes), but seeing GTB’s Jackson Sharp’s made me decide to use it in 16mm too.

They’ll probably never be finished, being the type of thing that I’ll enjoy tinkering with endlessly, but it can at least now be put back together. I’ll probably repaint the roof at some point as I’m not 100% happy with it.