The start of my garden railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Andrew

Re: The start of my garden railway

Post by Andrew » Fri May 15, 2020 10:56 pm

GAP wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:56 pm "The clothes line could be moved closer to the house which will be easier on you dear"
The trains are just a convenient way to transport the pegs, aren't they?!

Great progress, thanks for the update. Are you tempted to make a triangular junction to allow trains to head to and from the new branch in either direction? A nice touch, but a tad expensive on points maybe, do possibly not worth the expense...

I like the look of the new loco - will it go into the purple house livery?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Aaron0290
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Aaron0290 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:10 am

GAP wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:56 pm
Land grabs are best done using stealth and cunning.
An expansion can also be as simple as putting in the elevated level, mentioned previously, to complement the existing ground level track which just happens to need just a little more room, "not much honestly dear" :twisted:
"The clothes line could be moved closer to the house which will be easier on you dear"
Yeah I had tried the Pimms delivery via train approach but she wasn't having any of it!

@Andrew - A triangular junction would be nice but very expensive. I might look into it at some point though as it isn't something I had considered.

As regards the new loco, I quite like the grey paint I have put on it so will probably be sticking with that (was blue plastic and clear acrylic prior to paint). I will be making a return to bright colours with the hunslet kit I've got sitting about as I very much like the orange colour of Dolbadarn.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sat May 16, 2020 3:09 am

Aaron0290 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:31 pm I would love to extend my land grab even further into the garden for railway duties as there is quite a lot left (see below) but I have been told to stick to my corner! :shock:

Glad I'm a bachelor again...

The old saying, "better to ask forgiveness than permission" comes to mind.

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Sat May 16, 2020 3:54 am

I sent my SWMBO off for a visit to family for 2 weeks while I stayed at home and kept going to work.
I told her via a phone call that I was adding "a bit more track" and was told "OK but don't go overboard".
I thought about another 20 metres of track work wasn't going "overboard" but she had other ideas, but "seeing as it was in, it may as well stay I suppose" was the final decision.
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat May 16, 2020 6:27 am

Aaron0290 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:10 am @Andrew - A triangular junction would be nice but very expensive. I might look into it at some point though as it isn't something I had considered.
I must admit that when I looked at you trackplan and proposed extension, my first thought was "Why no triangular junction?" I appreciate the cost consideration, Peco points are astronomical, but why not scratchbuild them? It really isn't as difficult as people imagine and works out a lot cheaper.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 16, 2020 8:15 am

What a great expanse there is to work with, but if you have been told no there is no point in arguing with the better half really. There is however a little bit you could use more of if you so desire....Move over to the other side and keep her clothes line were it is..... :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, is it possible to move even further down the garden to the bottom of it. Seems to be crying out for it to go down there for me.... :thumbright:

Love your 3D flat wagon, it looks the business and the paint colour on the loco looks great also.. :thumbright:

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Sat May 16, 2020 9:17 am

There is more room to be grabbed there.. I can see a run to a terminus next year! Your picture looks like you are in some kind of building at the bottom of the garden, you should be building out to meet it. :)

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:09 pm

I am not remotely jealous of the lovely expanse you have at your disposal there. Nope. Not at all. :mrgreen: And I know the Authority has said no for the moment, but do a good job with the starter area and who knows, maybe a change of heart will happen? :D
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Scrat » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:55 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:09 pm And I know the Authority has said no for the moment,.....
Get her to join the hobby.

This way I received permission to build a 5" gauge layout in our garden.
SWMBO even drives my steam locos.

Norman H
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Norman H » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:16 pm

Great Job, so far :thumbright: I am hoping to make a start on a small railway of my own this year, covid etc permitting, may I ask what track you are using as I wish to run a mamod loco also,