TVT - First Turnout and Infrastructure

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: TVT - First Turnout and Infrastructure

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:51 am

What 'glue' have you used?

Tropic Blunder
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Tropic Blunder » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:25 am

Looks like a good solid structure Graeme! Shouldn't have any issues supporting the weight of the garratt on that.
Jake

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:20 am

In between rain events, hot spells and real life, progress is slowly continuing..........

Support posts are now installed past the big curve at the south end and are heading back towards the north along the retaining wall, so about halfway there.

The pic shows progress yesterday and a few more posts went in today. With the weather the way it is (not a cloud between here and Adelaide when the photo was taken), I can put in three posts in the morning while it is still fairly cool, then retire to the workshop to make the three posts for the next day. The yellow gizmo on the partially driven star picket is a post level so the picket can be kept vertical as it is driven in. A 4lb club hammer isn't ideal for driving them, but the posts are too short to use the normal type of star picket driver.

Track Supports-7.jpg
Track Supports-7.jpg (267.17 KiB) Viewed 5986 times

The original plan was to use a flexible adhesive to join the longitudinals to the cross pieces, but that idea hasn't worked out. I trialled Fix All which the maker claims works on zinc coated steels, but the galv steel also has a lacquer coating and the adhesive bond wasn't strong enough, as the joint easily broke when twisted by hand pressure. I've now dug out the old mains powered hand drill and it's drill stand, so the longitudinals can be drilled in place and will be bolted as well as glued. When the nuts and bolts get here.........

Regards,
Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:33 am

Out of interest Graeme why have you chosen not to use your tree bark covered raised beds for the trackwork?

It would look nice having the track running around the bushes you have in my mind.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:39 am

I need one of those kneelers Graeme….. :lol: :lol:

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:27 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: ↑Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:33 am Out of interest Graeme why have you chosen not to use your tree bark covered raised beds for the trackwork?

It would look nice having the track running around the bushes you have in my mind.
A couple of reasons......

The main one is because I'm a builder, not an operator, and the track will be used as a test track. So a simple track with no scenery or structures is all I need.

The bushes you see now are actually young Pittosporum trees, planted last year to screen the back of the block off from the house behind. They grow at least 1m a year and will end up as a solid mass of foliage 6m or so high and from fence to fence within the next 3 or 4 years. They make a good backdrop, but running through them would be like building a track inside a hedge.

Regards,
Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:32 am

Progress progresses......

It's officially summer hereabouts and the forecast is for 35C tomorrow, but it was 17C and raining the other day. Luckily I've finished banging in posts and have started on the longitudinal supports, but the heat will still slow progress.

This is the track last week looking south towards the big curve, which is 9' radius.

Track Supports-9.jpg
Track Supports-9.jpg (185.27 KiB) Viewed 5728 times

Next is looking north the next day, just after the last post went in. This shows the area where the wye junction and the bridge will be installed.

Track Supports-10.jpg
Track Supports-10.jpg (171.22 KiB) Viewed 5728 times

The last pic was taken a couple of days ago and shows the longitudinal supports in place on the wye. About 1/3 of all the posts used on the track and about half the work required to fit longitudinal supports to all of it. It is easier working on plain track, so a day later and I'm around the curve to the right and starting on the long straight toward the south end.

Track Supports-11.jpg
Track Supports-11.jpg (179.82 KiB) Viewed 5728 times

The curves on the wye are 7'3'' radius, which is dictated by the position of the access steps. This scales out at 2.2 chains in 1:20.3 which is just over the scale minimum curve on the VR narrow gauge lines. It's also just large enough for G1 locos if my interests move in that direction, as I'm running out of ng models to make. :roll:

Most garden railway modellers would probably fill this space with plants, hillocks, rocks, buildings etc. and lay a lot of track at ground level, but that's not what I'm looking for. I can't stand gardening for a start. This is more in the style of a typical G1 track, where I have somewhere to run a train when I get the urge and which has easy access for manual running as I get older.

Regards,
Graeme

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:03 am

Graeme, That is some build mate and if your happy with it that's all that matters....Wish I had a nice large area you have mate.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:18 pm

You are getting on with it. All looks very good. Sure looks a bit different to a year or so ago.
Grant.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:03 am

In between storms and running out of 30mm angle, progress stopped for a couple of days, but the support structure is now complete and the bridge is in place as well.

This pic shows the bridge being tested for fit yesterday afternoon, between rain showers. After a bit more work this morning (before the storms moved in again) and it now fits correctly, with a space left for expansion as it gets hotter around here. The track level as it crosses the steps is 4' and although the bridge will be removable, there is enough clearance underneath to duck under it for access to the gravelled area, without having to remove it each time.

Bridge-8.jpg
Bridge-8.jpg (185 KiB) Viewed 5623 times

Next step is to start fitting the Weathertex deck, which won't take long on the straight bits, but will be slow on the curved sections. Current plan is to have it in place in the New Year, but that depends on what weather we get between now and then.......

Regards,
Graeme

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:07 am

Most impressive. How is the bridge located to line the track up each time?
Personally, although I would do it too, a couple of times, I'd be worried about ducking under the bridge. Especially with the steps in close proximity, it's almost guaranteed that sooner or later, with your mind half on other things, you'll come up under it and wreck it, or yourself, or both!
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:54 pm

philipy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:07 am Most impressive. How is the bridge located to line the track up each time?
The bridge is now located longitudinally, as it sits on transverse angles on the supports, but I haven't decided yet on how it will be located laterally. Possibly just a couple of small brass barrel bolts fitted once the track is in place.
philipy wrote: ↑Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:07 am I'd be worried about ducking under the bridge.
I know what you mean. I fitted a hinged lifting section on the HO layout a few years ago when the 'duck under' turned into a 'crawl under'.

Not obvious from the photo, but the bottom step is actually some distance behind the bridge and the retaining wall is conveniently located to act as a handrail, but I wouldn't want to try it while carrying something. I started fitting the deck boards today and have removed the bridge for access while that's going on.

Regards,
Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:31 pm

That's all looking beautifully engineered and very impressive - should make for great trouble-free running. I'm looking forward to further progress - and first train pics!

All the best,

Andrew.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:31 pm I'm looking forward to further progress - and first train pics!
You and me both..... :)

Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:11 pm

Well executed Graeme, looks very methodical.

The bridge should make for a good photo taking spot.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:57 pm

In spite of the local climate variation, fitting the decking went quickly and was completed ahead of schedule (just).

The photos were taken yesterday just after lunch. I really must figure out this materials estimating business as it came down to the wire as to whether there would be enough boards to finish it before everything in Aust. shuts down for a fortnight over Christmas and New Year.

This photo is facing north and shows the wye, bridge and small curve around to the long straight on the right. The temp was about 20degC and there wasn't a cloud in the sky..........

Track Supports-14.jpg
Track Supports-14.jpg (208.63 KiB) Viewed 6787 times

The next photo is facing south and shows the rest of the track.

Track Supports-15.jpg
Track Supports-15.jpg (219.59 KiB) Viewed 6787 times

I now have to paint the deck, which won't happen this week, then I can start laying track.

After the last boards were fitted, I committed a neatness in the garage, as my swiss friend would say. I can now park the car undercover again and can also see the top of the workbench, so while the weather makes up it's mind, I'll keep myself amused painting track and doing a few other small projects that are sitting around.

Regards,
Graeme

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:10 am

Merry Christmas Graeme. :reindeer: :santa:

Your track looks so inviting. You have worked hard I can see to have a brilliant line to work with. Looking forward to seeing the track laid and a loco running on it.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:37 am

GTB wrote: ↑Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:57 pm I committed a neatness in the garage,
You should be ashamed of yourself, 50 lines for you "I must not commit a neatness again".
Merry Christmas mate,
Grant.
PS wish the fairies would come and commit a neatness in my workshop!!
although I probably wouldn't be able to find anything.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:23 am

That is sooo impressive Graeme.

PS I 'm with Grant, I get occasional visits from the neatness fairy and I can never find anything afterwards, either!
Philip

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:45 am

With the Christmas shutdown and the local weather, progress has slowed further, but I managed to get the track base painted between the rain and the heat, mostly by putting in a couple of hours after tea when things cooled down. I had to give up one day as the paint was drying on the brush between the tin and the board.......

The last section of board got it's second coat on Wednesday evening and the pic. shows it on Thursday, sun directly overhead and not a cloud between here and Adelaide.

Track Supports-16.jpg
Track Supports-16.jpg (279.19 KiB) Viewed 6611 times

It's not visible in the photo, but the resident Brushtail had already given the boards a test drive earlier in the week, as there were muddy paw prints along the northern curve where he had hopped up from the flower bed and sauntered around the curve before hopping off again.

Still waiting for the brass nails I've ordered to finally arrive, so I can start laying track. Once I get around to painting the sleepers.....

Regards,
Graeme