The Cobtree Line

A place for the discussion of garden railways & any garden style/scale portable layouts

Moderators: Big Jim, laalratty

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: The Cobtree Line

Post by Just Julie » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Like your idea of the netting for getting ground covering established, Looking forward to seeing your railway develop. Lovely photos :thumbright:

invicta280
Fireman
Fireman

Post by invicta280 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:23 pm

The netting is a handy method I first encountered in the Manawatu gorge in New Zealand when I worked on the highways there, but have since seen in many places. I seem to remember seeing it in the Avon gorge at Bristol, It is meant to stop rocks falling onto roads and railways but can be useful for helping plants to establish themselves on vertical rockfaces.

The plants that were holding up progress have now been moved and the campaigners who had established a camp intending to halt the progress of the railway have now been shot so nothing stands in the way of laying the trackbed for the next section :twisted: This section has a very narrow path available so I will abandon the breeze block method for this section. I am going to try laying the next 8-10 ft (2.5-3 mtrs) on small paver bricks set in a shallow bed of pea gravel.
At the end of that section I will need to devise some kind of removable bridge to cross the path but I'll err... cross that bridge when we come to it :D

Looking at what's been done so far I can't help thinking that this line has been a bit overengineered, like putting in a cycle track to a spec which will accommodate 40 tonne trucks.

Tom the blacksmith
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tom the blacksmith » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Looking at what you've done so far I think it's looking great, and always over engineer rather that under engineer :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Chairman
Chairman

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:38 pm

We are all guilty of over-engineering at some point I am sure...

Andrew
Driver
Driver

Post by Andrew » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:02 am

tom_tom_go wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:38 pm
We are all guilty of over-engineering at some point I am sure...
I've got a friend who's a civil engineer, and I think I recall him telling me that a lot of Victorian civil engineering was built to last about 1,000 years when assessed by modern standards, wheras these days they reckon on 100... Anyway, better over than under...

The Cobtree line's looking great, looking forward to seeing more soon - intrigued to see what will grow up the netting too. The mind-you-own-business on my line has started colonising some vertical concrete blocks, but it's taken a while...

Cheers,

Andrew.

invicta280
Fireman
Fireman

Post by invicta280 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:33 pm

As previously alluded to, the next section of trackbed is being laid into a shallow bed of the familiar pea gravel; I think my local builder's merchants believe I'm constructing the base for a nuclear reactor, their stock reorder programme for 10mm pea beach has spiked.

This section of the line has to tiptoe between a narrow path needed for access and a row of plants bordering a trellis, so a deep base is out of the question. Hence the pavour bricks.

Looking back down the line....

...and where we're heading next....

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:17 am

:thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Chairman
Chairman

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 am

I like the sound of this line having to negotiate around the garden. It should be very atmospheric when finished.

Just Julie
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Just Julie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:27 pm

:thumbleft: