The End Of FWLR

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Big Jim

Re: The End Of FWLR

Post by Big Jim » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:19 am

Sorry to hear this Rod, I can imagine that this is most unsettling and upsetting after all your hard work. As Tom said, railways come and go, do not be too dispirited but perhaps think of it as a new challenge.
It can be quite liberating being a Garden Railwayman without a line, this is how I have been for a number of years and probably will continue to be for a few years yet. It does mean that when I do get a chance to go off and play trains I enjoy it all the more. I can spend more time building and tinkering and there is no pressure from the domestic authorities to "do something with that railway what you built and never touch".
It also means that I can build what I like, never mind what is suitable for my railway.
I wish both of you all the best in your current situation.
Jim
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:31 pm

It's a sad thing you've to dismantle your railway, may be there is a chance of building a station on a baseboard which is movable? With a few settracks you can then build a simple layout on a sunday afternoon somewhere, so you can still run trains now and then.
Or try a switch puzzle like an Inglenook or Timesaver, they fit on a board and give plenty of running challenges, albeit being something totally different to a garden layout..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:42 am

Sorry to hear about this Rod. All the best relocating your line and rebuilding it in the future.
Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 07, 2018 6:59 am

I didn’t know weather to put this on this thread or my Fairy Wood thread so I am putting it on both. :thumbleft:

Here is a video of a friend Ted Avery’s RH Alco.

It was a happy and also a sad day for us, the sun was shinning :sunny: :sunny: and the conversations where flowing, we had completely lost all sense of time. Will miss this for sometime…… :( :(

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 18, 2018 8:19 am

Well the line has now being taken up, only the posts left to get up now. I have taken 7 up and boy what a job that was…..Not looking forward to getting the rest of them up, especially the smaller ones….That clay is really holding on to them and doesn’t want to let go…. :roll: :roll:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri May 18, 2018 9:03 am

Hopefully you will be able to rebuild bigger and better at your new home. Try to look on it, not as a set back, but as a learning experience. There will be things you will do differently on the next one from lessons learned on the Fairy Wood Light Railway.

You have your memories, pictures and video to look back on.

Ian
Ian

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Good luck with the move Rod, as Ian said once you've settled again the garden bug will hopefully bite you again.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun May 20, 2018 9:41 am

Caught this latest post in your thread 2 days after you posted, and the photo's have disappeared. Maybe Tom is still having problems with the backup?
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 20, 2018 10:53 am

Rod, just edit the post and attach the photos again please.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 am

Tried to edit the post Tom, but it was just being silly, losing an attachment and putting them in the wrong place.

So I have just put the photo’s up again.
DSCN3428.JPG
DSCN3428.JPG (470.84 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
DSCN3429.JPG
DSCN3429.JPG (493.18 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
DSCN3430.JPG
DSCN3430.JPG (494.7 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
DSCN3431.JPG
DSCN3431.JPG (484.51 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
DSCN3432.JPG
DSCN3432.JPG (493.76 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
DSCN3435.JPG
DSCN3435.JPG (128.36 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
DSCN3437.jpg
DSCN3437.jpg (141.71 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
DSCN3438.jpg
DSCN3438.jpg (140.29 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
DSCN3452.JPG
DSCN3452.JPG (484.56 KiB) Viewed 4969 times
The last photo is with all of the post’s now out.

Thanks Phil for bringing the lost photo’s up. :thumbleft:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 am

That's all come out very neatly Rod, you would hardly know the garden's secret. I've just put my computer glasses in the washing machine so it could be I'm not seeing clearly! :cry: I think a 1300 rpm spin may be their Waterloo....

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue May 22, 2018 9:39 am

bazzer42 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 am That's all come out very neatly Rod, you would hardly know the garden's secret. I've just put my computer glasses in the washing machine so it could be I'm not seeing clearly! :cry: I think a 1300 rpm spin may be their Waterloo....
Yes, All restored quite nicely. Rod. I'm sure your landlord will never know it was there.

Bazzer, I put an electronic car key fob in the washing machine. (Not on purpose, lol) £300 for a replacement and reprogramming! Ouch.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 am

bazzer42 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:31 am That's all come out very neatly Rod, you would hardly know the garden's secret. I've just put my computer glasses in the washing machine so it could be I'm not seeing clearly! :cry: I think a 1300 rpm spin may be their Waterloo....
Oh dear Derek that’s rubbish… :roll:

I did when I was living on my own, having got my 2nd divorce (Thankfully Anne is 1million times better) I put my brand new Nokia phone while it was still in my jeans pocket in the washer. I heard a clucking sound from the washer and saw in the window, my phone going around. Stopped the washer and retrieved it, dried it up a bit and put it on the radiator, next day it was working just has great….. :roll: :roll:

I have reseeded the lawn were the rubber imitation sleepers where placed, so hopefully it will look completely as if it wasn’t there at all…….

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 am

IanC wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:39 am
Yes, All restored quite nicely. Rod. I’m sure your landlord will never know it was there.

Ian
My landlord knew it was there Ian, but I am really not bothered even if he did. They even came round with their Grandkids to see my loco’s running.
With all the improvements we did to the garden, like having the patio flags done by the garage ( It was broken upending crazy paving ) which they didn’t contribute too, for which according to the estate agent, has put at least £6000 on the property! I don’t think our line has done any real damage do you mate. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Tue May 22, 2018 7:05 pm

FWLR wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 am
IanC wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:39 am
Yes, All restored quite nicely. Rod. I’m sure your landlord will never know it was there.

Ian
My landlord knew it was there Ian, but I am really not bothered even if he did. They even came round with their Grandkids to see my loco’s running.
With all the improvements we did to the garden, like having the patio flags done by the garage ( It was broken upending crazy paving ) which they didn’t contribute too, for which according to the estate agent, has put at least £6000 on the property! I don’t think our line has done any real damage do you mate. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:
No. If anything the line improved the property.

Ian
Ian

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 am

Nicely 'restored' Rod; I'm sure some wouldn't take as much care. The last photo is rather poignant - knowing there was once a thriving railway there, now gone forever (at that site, of course ;) )
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu May 24, 2018 6:44 am

Thanks Phil, we did try to look after the place has if it was our own. :thumbright:

Not long to go now before we move and give it a couple of weeks to settle in, then it’s onwards and upwards. :thumbright: :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 6:44 am Thanks Phil, we did try to look after the place has if it was our own. :thumbright:

Not long to go now before we move and give it a couple of weeks to settle in, then it’s onwards and upwards. :thumbright: :thumbright:
I'm looking forward to seeiing your reincarnation in your new home Rod. Is the new garden larger or smaller than your present one?

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri May 25, 2018 8:01 am

To be honest Ian, I can’t remember :roll: It’s been sone weeks since we looked at the place, but of hand I think it maybe slightly smaller… I do need to think of Anne and the Grandkids though with the garden…. It doesn’t have a walkway like this place i.e. A patio along side the garage and garden.

But I am sure we will have something that is suitable for running locos…… :thumbright: :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri May 25, 2018 9:47 am

FWLR wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:01 am To be honest Ian, I can’t remember :roll: It’s been sone weeks since we looked at the place, but of hand I think it maybe slightly smaller… I do need to think of Anne and the Grandkids though with the garden…. It doesn’t have a walkway like this place i.e. A patio along side the garage and garden.

But I am sure we will have something that is suitable for running locos…… :thumbright: :thumbright:
Sounds like you have similar issues to me, but for different reasons. I am trying to fit my railway into a smallish garden and keep any disturbance and intrusion to a minimum. I don't have a lot of time so want something I can do without major building work, and my wife has sight issues so I'd like to keep the existing layout as much as possible.

Ian
Ian