The Rylston Light Railway (Mark 2)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: The Rylston Light Railway (Mark 2)

Post by LNR » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:31 pm

RylstonLight wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:15 am if I didn’t have to accommodate a car turn-round
On the basis of "many a good idea said in jest" what you need is a small wagon type turntable for the car Andy.
Back to your problem, I understand now. You mention the wall is stone, I have looked at several ways of trying to make the fence at Leawarra look like a stone retaining wall, I can think of worse backgrounds for a railway. I've also seen a fence painted or covered appropriately to resemble large industrial building walls, with drain pipes vents etc. as railways often run through the back end of town so to speak. Are you able to work a piece of track up the middle somewhere and concentrate your super detailing there. Just some thoughts, it's all down to your personal choice and it has to fit the "aura" you want to see in your mind.
Grant.
PS on the basis of your clover leaf track plan what sort of curve radii are we talking about.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:36 pm

My previous Nonaim Tramway and the current Two Dogs Railway both incorporate curves to draw the eye to narrow views at a given time. I also use the "keyhole" feature (a permaculture gardening technique) that brings the human body into the layout. There are almost no straight sections of track used on my layouts. Curves are the rule.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Who doesn't like curves...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:21 pm

I like the bike with the up turned bars :thumbright:
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:31 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:48 pm Who doesn't like curves...
Depends on the curves Tom…. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:37 am

I admire your aims of producing a railway with good viewing positions. Something I'd like to achieve when I build mine.

I fear the size and layout of my garden will preclude this objective, but it is something I will seriously consider at the design stage with a view to incorporating some photographic spots if possible.

Iàn
Ian

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:37 am

"On the basis of "many a good idea said in jest" what you need is a small wagon type turntable for the car Andy." (LNR)

I'm off to Porthmadog next month.
Behind the old engine shed at Boston Lodge, in the garden of what once was a cottage owned by the FR, is/was the old loco turntable. The story goes that when the cottage was sold many years ago the new owner put his garage on the turntable so that he could drive in, and when needed, turn the turntable 180 degrees and drive out of the other end back down to the road. It was not practicable however due to not being able to balance his car centrally every time so he didn't use it. Whether this story is 100% fact I don't know but I will have a look and report back. I'm told the turntable is still in situ but in its day was only large enough for the England engines.
David.
David T.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:34 pm

River Lin wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:37 am "On the basis of "many a good idea said in jest" what you need is a small wagon type turntable for the car Andy." (LNR)

I'm off to Porthmadog next month.
Behind the old engine shed at Boston Lodge, in the garden of what once was a cottage owned by the FR, is/was the old loco turntable. The story goes that when the cottage was sold many years ago the new owner put his garage on the turntable so that he could drive in, and when needed, turn the turntable 180 degrees and drive out of the other end back down to the road. It was not practicable however due to not being able to balance his car centrally every time so he didn't use it. Whether this story is 100% fact I don't know but I will have a look and report back. I'm told the turntable is still in situ but in its day was only large enough for the England engines.
David.

Well that's different! Presumably the car driver didn't like using reverse gear :?:

I look forward to the report.

Ian
Ian

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi all.
So as not to hijack the thread I have started a new one of Ffestiniog Turntable in 'Off Topic'.
David.
David T.