Two Dogs Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Two Dogs Railway

Post by Dwayne » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:09 am

Ian, Andrew... as the TDRwy heads into it's second summer season, I'm looking forward to the greenery filling in the few remaining bare spots. I'm also planning on a few structures/industries being built to give the railroad a purpose. The Deltang components need to go into a module that can be transferred from engine to engine since I only plan on operating one lokie at a time. I've got to build up the Hartland Locomotive Work flat cars into several different types for assorted duties that I have bouncing in my head. And the temporary bridge is at the beginning of the new spur I had started in the fall and allowed the earthworks to settle over the winter. There is definitely no shortage of tasks for me to to focus on with the layout.

As for my marital status, it's all going to work out for the best. These things happen for a reason.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:23 am

Well Dwayne you are doing really well with your line with all that earth moving after all the upheaval you have had.
Your right things happen for a reason and generally they work out.

Take it easy Dwayne and enjoy your line...

PS, I have been through 2 divorces, so I do have a lot of sympathy for your situation...

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:59 pm

Thanks Rod. I've always enjoyed operating a Mexican backhoe. Good therapy. Of course these days as I'm moving dirt I tend to have my four chickens underfoot looking for whatever edible critter is unearthed. They're a riot. :)

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 pm

As of today the TDRwy has ceased to exist. The track was pulled and stored away to be eventually reconstituted in the future Two Dogs Mining Company sometime this fall/winter.

I've been dismantling what was previously a spare room on the north side of my house. Neighbors have told me the room was originally a carport that had been closed in by past owners of the house. Forty plus years later and the half-assed construction was becoming an issue. Insect damage had destroyed much of the inferior wood materials cobbled together. The flat roof leaked during heavy rains.

A new but smaller room will replace the old room. Now that divorce #2 is final, all I need for my solo lifestyle is a laundry/mudroom of about 8' x 8' in size. So far one of two covered over windows have been exposed which now gives me a view of the yard looking northward. The new addition will fit between those two windows. Window number two is still covered on it's exterior side with plywood. Inside (living room) it is covered with sheetrock that I've already removed.

The concrete foundation is in excellent shape. Besides being a solid surface for the new addition, what extends beyond the perimeter of the new room will become patio. In the foreground of the attached photo will be the location of the new layout (ironically the same location of the first version of the Two Dogs). The new TDMCo. looks to be a raised loop to loop design if all goes according to plan whereas TD#1 was a folded dog-bone loop.

Where the wheel barrow can be seen in the photo are the remnants of the former brick exterior wall. Currently most of it has been removed to ground level. Unseasonably hot weather has slowed complete removal which is necessary before construction on the new layout can begin. Swinging an 8# sledge in 100Β°F heat is a test of my physical endurance... not as easy for my 55 year old body. Slow and steady for now. :D

IMG_15092019_135049_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_15092019_135049_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg (174.52 KiB) Viewed 5940 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Nice style home with a lovely porch to sit out in fine weather. The best way to remove dodgy building materials is to take the lot away and start again, good luck with the build and show us progress as you go..... the railway will have to wait!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:32 pm

Always good to see progress on a new project. Improve your house and build a new railway at the same time. Sounds like a plan!

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:46 am

Glad to see things moving Dwayne. Also sounds as though you are now recovered from your accident, which is also good.
Philip

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:28 pm

I'm still dealing with lingering issues from the motorcycle accident. Mostly with the right ankle which has left me with a slight limp, especially when the weather turns inclement. At least the bike is back in shape and I'm back to riding too.

I'll keep ya'll updated as things progress...

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Sounds like that room just had to come down. Poor building work will never last. Still it looks like it has presented you with the opportunity to improve the arrangement to the benefit of the railway. Good priorities there.
I look forward to seeing what you make of it.
Don

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Sorry to hear the way things have turned out for you Dwayne, both with regards to your lingering limp, and the personal circumstances. But it's good that you are being positive about it. Good luck with the house modification, and best wishes for your 'bachelorhood'. At least you will have plenty of opportunity to rebuild the TDR, once the work on your house is done.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Sorry to hear about the loss of the latest incarnation of your line, but looking forward to hearing about the new version - hoping it takes shape as quickly too!

With best wishes,

Andrew.

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Thank you gentlemen. It's all working out well for me in the long run. Life goes on and simmering in a pool of self-pity wouldn't get me anywhere.

I've been slowly planning how the new layout will fit. I've got a few small oak trees in the way and don't want to have to eliminate them. So I'm test fitting switches, playing with radii, track route and spacing, possible tunnels locations and a myriad of other ideas that need to be addressed before commencing with construction. We're dealing with unusually warmer than average weather which is a hindrance and slowing progress on the layout as well as starting on the new addition to the house.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:22 pm

Yes I find when it gets really hot I seem to slow down ( and possibly stall :lol: ) You have some nice shade in your garden make the most of it.

Don

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:51 am

Sorry for the late reply Dwayne. Had some issues myself. Glad you are having a positive outlook. Enjoy your single lifestyle and hope the future will bring you lots of joy. You never know, you may meet someone has I have with Anne, who supports you as much as she does with me.

Take it easy and go at a pace that will bring you want you want in life. A great home and an even greater railway line.... :thumbright: :thumbright: