A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Post by HereticUK » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 pm

I've been hanging around and asking questions here and there for a few years now. It has always been my fantasy to have a garden railway and recently I have decided to begin the process of turning that fantasy into reality. It will be a long road, but one day the finished product will be here.

Now for the concept behind my idea. I know what I want to emulate; since my family lives in the Golden Valley (near Stroud) along the famous Golden Valley Line, I have decided to base my line around the original railway proposal from 1836. A line was to be built which would connect the fledgling tourist town of Cheltenham with the waterways and textile factories of the Cotswolds, whilst linking the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway to the planned Great Western Railway at Swindon. The townsfolk of Cheltenham were responsible for the proposal to Parliament.

I won't delve too deeply into the history of the real railway here, suffice it say there were numerous problems of time pressure, combined with inadequate funding for the proposed engineering project at Sapperton, plus the added necessity of being dual Broad-Standard gauge part way, before the railway was bought by the GWR in its infancy.

My idea is based around this fact: a lot of towns during the Victorian period were intent on connecting themselves to the railway network (the phenomenon known as "railway-mania". Various gauges were used, but I want to pretend that a gauge of 3' or 3' 6" was chosen for this particular project. My railway will use a variety of stock and motive power, basically anything I want to run - live steam or battery, steam outline or diesel. The overarching theme, however, is that I want my railway to feel like it is decidedly late Victorian or Edwardian (I find the late 19th and early 20th centuries to be very interesting in regards to railways).

I haven't yet decided on a name for my railway, but I have a couple of possibilities already: "The Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway" or "The Great Western Union Railway" (suggestions are welcome). The stations will probably be 3 in total (considering the space available): Stroud, Chalford and Kemble. I also plan to have a couple of factories with some sidings to add interest and a "reason" for the railway to exist.
Current location: Yaroslavl, Russia

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:43 pm

Great news to hear you are starting work on your railway, even better news (as far as I am concerned) is that you are going to give you line a reason to exist by introducing factories and sidings. So much more creative than a test track to run trains just for fun!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:04 am

As Peter has said, creating a story behind the reason for being, is always a good start. Good luck, and do keep us informed please.
Grant.

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:04 am

I currently live and work in Russia, so I can only really develop this concept right now and work on it when I am home for about month every year. I don't have much money, so I anticipate this project won't get started any time soon.

Thank you, guys. I decided to ground it somewhat in reality, since that makes it a bit easier to establish reasons for existence etc.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:20 pm

I feel I just have to correct you on one point Heretic. You said
HereticUK wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:29 pm ...It will be a long road, but one day the finished product will be here...
Surely you have noticed that no one ever gets to finish a garden railway? They are always in a state of development or change :lol:
Looking forward to seeing your ideas as they develop! :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Ah, Lonsdaler, you are absolutely right, it was a simple slip of the tongue :D

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 pm

LNR wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:04 am As Peter has said, creating a story behind the reason for being, is always a good start. Good luck, and do keep us informed please.
Grant.
I absolutely agree with Peter and Grant, a solid back story means the line is constructed with a purpose in mind - and that affects the design in so many subtle ways. Building a railway is not a race (good job for me!), they grow at the pace we are comfortable with. The important thing is to make sufficient progress to maintain interest. I look forward to hearing and seeing more as things develop.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:48 pm

I have started working on the track layout for Chalford Station. What's nice about this design is that all the goods yards and sidings will be towards the operator, as Kemble (the next station towards Swindon) is to the right (up the garden). Everything is, of course, still work-in-progress. I've had to mess with the plan a little in order to reduce the size of the station (the overall length in the first draft was 10 metres, which is of course absurd). Currently it stands at 7 metres in length, and this absolutely needs to come down even more.
Chalford Station.png
Chalford Station.png (117.13 KiB) Viewed 7805 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:33 pm

I'll echo what's been said above - a rationale for your railway is a good starting point especially if you're interested in operational aspects.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement everyone!

I have been working on adapting the original track plan for Chalford station. I've reduced the overall length by almost 2 metres from the last plan.
Chalford Station V2.png
Chalford Station V2.png (101.45 KiB) Viewed 7738 times

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 am

Will you be running live steam or electric?

If live steam you will need to get some inertia devices on those locos or rolling stock as they will rocket along in such a small space.

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 am

I am planning on running Live Steam and Battery. I already have plans to create inertia wagons and weigh down the wagons and coaches to help with this issue.

Also I ought to clarify that this is simply one of three stations. I plan to have an end-to-end run but with a loop at each end to aid in continuous running if desired.

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:33 am

A third version of Chalford station.
Chalford Station V3.png
Chalford Station V3.png (101.16 KiB) Viewed 7725 times
Opinions and recommendations are welcome.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 pm

A splendid area on which to base your plan. The area between Stroud and Chalford (around Thrupp) is a very atmospheric setting with its narrow valley, mills and factories.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:42 pm

Although my first love is narrow gauge, I regard some standard gauge lines as honorary narrow gauge railways, the Golden Valley being one of them (and, of course, Colonel Stephens' light railways).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:49 am

Exactly, the Golden Valley is a place with a standard gauge line, but if a narrow gauge railway were to be built, it wouldn't look out of place at all.

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Fri May 25, 2018 9:16 am

Hello everyone! Things have been a bit quiet around here of late, and I have decided that this needs to change. I don't have any more drawings to show off, but I have some more ideas, this time pertaining to rolling stock liveries.

The obvious choice for the carriages would be the typical Great Western "chocolate and cream" colour scheme. However, if it hasn't been made clear by now, I am many things but not typical. Therefore, I have come up with a couple more choices: as a big fan of the LNWR, I really like the idea of a deep purple (almost black) colour mixed with white or a dark green and cream (much like the Accucraft IoM green/cream stock). As for locomotives colours, I haven't really decided as of yet... I've thought about GWR Brunswick Green or even plain/lined black (like LNWR locomotives). In the end, I've decided to simply leave it to fancy when the time comes to purchase a loco. I don't think I want to worry about locomotive colours, but, for me at least, the rolling stock should have a unifying colour scheme.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri May 25, 2018 9:59 am

HereticUK wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:16 am Hello everyone! Things have been a bit quiet around here of late, and I have decided that this needs to change. I don't have any more drawings to show off, but I have some more ideas, this time pertaining to rolling stock liveries.

The obvious choice for the carriages would be the typical Great Western "chocolate and cream" colour scheme. However, if it hasn't been made clear by now, I am many things but not typical. Therefore, I have come up with a couple more choices: as a big fan of the LNWR, I really like the idea of a deep purple (almost black) colour mixed with white or a dark green and cream (much like the Accucraft IoM green/cream stock). As for locomotives colours, I haven't really decided as of yet... I've thought about GWR Brunswick Green or even plain/lined black (like LNWR locomotives). In the end, I've decided to simply leave it to fancy when the time comes to purchase a loco. I don't think I want to worry about locomotive colours, but, for me at least, the rolling stock should have a unifying colour scheme.
My thoughts are similar to yours regarding liveries. I am a fan of the LMS. For me, locomotives will be Maroon or black. Coaches will be in red, or red and cream. I am planning a rake of coaches which will be Furness Indian red, with Midland railway style yellow or Gold lining. Rakes of coaches will be in matching colours. I agree that rolling stock should be unifying.

Ian
Ian

HereticUK
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by HereticUK » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:53 pm

More thoughts regarding my railway: I had earlier decided on purchasing an Accucraft IoM Mona for my first loco since it fits the theme of late Victorian/early Edwardian that I am going for. However, after reading a rather encouraging post about the quality of customer service from Roundhouse, I have also started looking at their locos. I have been interested in the Beddgelert model from the day it was announced, as well as the new Russel and the Leek and Manifold engine.

Does anyone have any recommendations or advice for me? Anything would be appreciated.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Hello!

I'd agree re RH's excellent customer care and have benefited from it several times. They make lovely engines too...

I think any of those engines would fit your theme admirably - and I do like a nice theme... All three are large-ish, which you might want to bear in mind if you've got limited space - the L&M loco need 3' curves, and the coupling swing on tight curves could be large with that or the Beddgelert. I've always thought the Lady Anne/Silver Lady very attractive and plausible freelance locos - they'd maybe fit the bill too?

Or you could get a Millie, and spend the change on some embellishments and a suitably ornate lining job!

Cheers,

Andrew.