Raised layout or not

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Raised layout or not

Post by Dwayne » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:31 pm

My layout is on a very slight slope. I made it a point to keep my mainline level. At one end the track is about 8 inches above ground level. On the other end the track is about 14 inches above the ground. Tallest elevation is the top of Hope Hill at about 48 inches. Much of the edge of my raised layout simply slopes to the ground which helps blend the layout into the yard.

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Thanks Dwayne for explaining your layout to me all the responses are helping a great deal. :thumbleft:
Regards
Kevin

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Even on a raised layout you can make it look like a ground level one, simply by planting shrubs and keep them on track level. In one of the books I have they have pictures of "pecorama" where a raised trackbed is hided in shrubs and bushes. it really looks like grass.
The other best part is that the trackbed keeps away from moisture, so you can use lighter materials like wood and roofing felt instead of bricks and concrete. That makes it easier to change your layout in the future..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Thanks daan for layout advice I was toying with the idea of laying roofing felt to the raised layout boards to protect them. :D
Regards
Kevin

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:58 pm

I am looking at the outdoor layout being raised about 24" at one end and ground level/shallow cutting at the other end thanks to the slope on the yard which is about 10% (1 in 10). During the local WBTS battle the Jubal Early's troops occupied a line just about where my back fence lies, which is almost the top of the ridge, during the initial stages of the battle. This was a common deployment of troops as it keeps losses down in the initial stages of a battle.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: Raised layout or not.

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:13 am

Big Jim wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:52 pm Peter Butler seems to have manged to get the best of both worlds. His line is on a slight slope so you have a nice ground level run at the back and chest hight areas at the front to allow for steaming and nice ground level pictures.
When I finally get around to re building the most pointless of all the Welsh narrow gauge lines (the nefarious Pentremorgan Mountain Railway) this is what I will be aiming at.
Once the garden railway bug bit, I longed for a sloping garden :roll: Actually, our garden is raised above the field behind, and I have wondered about using the endwall (currently the local causeway) as a steam up area. That would put the track at waist height, but how to access it? :scratch: Ah well, I can dream...
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 am

steamer68 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:27 pm I was toying with the idea of laying roofing felt to the raised layout boards to protect them.
That is a good idea. Not only does it give the wood a bit of protection but it also looks more like ballast than wood does, and if you do add proper ballast you have a rough surface for it to stick to.
Philip

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:19 pm

I was toying with the idea of laying roofing felt to the raised layout boards to protect them.
I have seen this done with a very large outdoor O gauge line. The boards were treated first and then wrapped in felt with the seam on one of the thin edges (opening pointing downwards). The ends were sealed with strips of felt and then daubed with bitumen paint. These boards were laid on to concrete topped walls and screwed into place. The boards seemed to last about 7 or 8 years before the felt needed replacing, although I think that if really good felt was used then it might last longer.
I would be tempted to try and find some pre-used floor boards for the wood if I was doing it now. Well seasoned and sometimes free for the asking (don't use rotten ones)
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:59 pm

My layout uses treated gravel board timber with roofing felt and then this is covered with ballast.

Working well so far, been over five years at least and no issues with rot or bowed wood.

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks to everyone for all your advice on topic I posted and my plan is to use treated timber with boards covered with roofing felt. :D
Regards
Kevin