In the beginning!!!!!

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: In the beginning!!!!!

Post by markoteal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:02 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:23 am This is even more exciting than the Archers (and almost as long running).

Rik

True Rik - Peter is even ending each episode with a cliff hanging teaser for the next one - very Eastenders!

Peter - this is great - thanks for digging into the archives for us.
Where did I put that uncoupler?

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:17 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:34 pm
philipy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 am I'd be happy to post if there is any interest, but back in those days I was into N Gauge and then 4mm, so hardly appropriate for this forum.
Any scale, any gauge :thumbup:
Well, OK, if you'd like, but I'll let Peter finish his story first. Wouldn't want to be thought to be trying to actually compete.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:54 pm

And so it came to pass (that's for you Tom) that we moved to Wales on March 1st (St David's Day) 2003, bringing with us enough furniture and personal belongings to fill three removal vehicles and three cars, also four adults, two cats and a dog.... but no layout.
Unfortunately we still had no house to move to other than a temporary rented one.
Eventually we bought a smallholding but there was so much work involved there was still no time to think of a hobby, that is when the dreaded call came... ' we need the space, please collect your layout'. I arranged to meet a friend at the Railway Museum, Tyseley, where the layout was in a storage container. We filled my Volvo estate and a large trailer and his hatch-back too, however there were some items we had to leave behind which were less important. Following the journey home and placing the layout in a shed (again!) it was to be another few years before I could devote time to it.
That time came, along with early retirement brought on by two strokes, allowing me to begin planning and installing the scenic part as a 18ft. straight run against one wall of the 'Train Shed'. You will recall the original exhibition layout measured 25ft. so adjustments had to be made. These included removal of one whole 5ft. baseboard which contained some of the finest scenery. Unfortunately this was essential as none of it could be re-used elsewhere....
tunnel.jpg
tunnel.jpg (506.83 KiB) Viewed 4992 times
incline.jpg
incline.jpg (533.04 KiB) Viewed 4992 times
The pictures show the tunnel mouth from the far right end of the viewing side which disguised the beginning of the loop to the fiddle yard at the rear. With this section removed I could end the layout at the wall and still maintain a run-round for locos with trains at the platform.
The slate incline was a particular favourite as it took me several meetings to cut and lay each individual piece to make a convincing wall effect followed by 'scree' which had been thrown over the edge. Still.... too late now!
At the left hand end a section had to be cut and track slightly re-aligned to allow passage to the great outdoors. Once the lines were established I could cut out the doorways in the shed end wall facing the garden.....
wall.jpg
wall.jpg (333.85 KiB) Viewed 4992 times
Support framework constructed to carry the boards just leaving the installation of the layout..... to follow next time.
IMG_0744.JPG
IMG_0744.JPG (431.48 KiB) Viewed 4992 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:14 pm

All fantastic - especially those inclines - almost as though I'm back in N Wales - must have taken ages to build those!

Love the image of the family and numerous removal vans moving across the country - great storytelling!

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:31 pm

Thanks Peter. Keep up the good work.
Philip

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 pm

Oh my goodness that's commitment to quality earthworks on a huge scale, its a Brill thread right from the go :D
Looking forward to updates too.
Steph and Gloria :D
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:21 pm

Those top two pictures are spectacular, can understand your reticence at scrapping that beautiful piece of landscaping. Still those holes in the wall and what has ended up extending outside them is a good substitute.
Grant.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:18 am

That tunnel mouth was spectacular Peter. It must have hurt to destroy that.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 pm

We have now reached the present day (at last they all say) so the following pictures show the layout in its current format.
Starting at the left hand end where the track enters the shed from outside...
IMG_5058.JPG
IMG_5058.JPG (116.52 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
IMG_5059.JPG
IMG_5059.JPG (128.72 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
The next feature is the beginning of the platform showing vendor and ticket office...
IMG_5062.JPG
IMG_5062.JPG (134.72 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
This is the frontage of the station building...
IMG_5061.JPG
IMG_5061.JPG (140.37 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
And alongside is the Victorian style gentleman's urinal...
IMG_5063.JPG
IMG_5063.JPG (136.9 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
At the rear of these is the engine shed...
IMG_5065.JPG
IMG_5065.JPG (136.77 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
Next is an area devoted to the museum collection of industrial machinery, two beam engines and a steam power plant...
IMG_5066.JPG
IMG_5066.JPG (151.85 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
More to follow.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Brilliant - lots of inspiration in there

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:09 pm

The signal box has full interior fittings, levers, instruments, desk, stove etc. none of which can be seen due to light reflection etc. I feel there is a limit to how far I need to go to detail my buildings as the overall impression of the exterior of structures is far more important when seen from several metres distant.
IMG_5067.JPG
IMG_5067.JPG (154.74 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5078.JPG (105.25 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
Alongside is the signalman's toilet. This does have an open door so the interior can be seen. It shows a solid wooden seat, toilet paper in the form of the daily newspaper and pin-up pictures on the walls. This has been know to offend 'ladies of a delicate nature' so clearly it is quite convincing, although how they would know of such things is another matter...
IMG_5070.JPG
IMG_5070.JPG (106.2 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
Passing the signal box we come to the entrance to the sidings through a gated entrance. Here we have one of several signal posts on the layout, all of which were built from Tenmille kits and still capable of operation, although I never do!
IMG_5068.JPG
IMG_5068.JPG (144.19 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
IMG_5071.JPG
IMG_5071.JPG (111.46 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
At the end of the siding is a structure which is used as a carriage/wagon shed...
IMG_5072.JPG
IMG_5072.JPG (136.72 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
Finally the end of the line where a new tunnel entrance (cast concrete by Cain Howley ) appears to prevent further travel. This is where the original tunnel was sited which allowed trains to loop to the rear of the layout to enter the fiddle yard. Alongside this other modifications had to be made to give purpose to the site. A boarded-up addit and retaining wall complete the image...
IMG_5073.JPG
IMG_5073.JPG (128.83 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
So, that's it folks... thanks for your replies, I'm glad you enjoyed the ride. I had fun looking back through the records and re-living the years of exhibiting with my colleagues who I haven't seen for many years now.
Just as a final touch I will show some of the plaques given to us from various shows we attended and a few of the awards presented to us, the ones we were allowed to keep...
IMG_5074.JPG
IMG_5074.JPG (130.25 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
IMG_5075.JPG
IMG_5075.JPG (101.63 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
All that remains is to write a new storyline for Eastenders, I was thinking on the lines of..... meths-fired loco in the back garden sets fire to washing on the line. wind blows flames into house and rapidly spreads to other properties. Before emergency services arrive the whole street is ablaze and residents are forced to move to shelters. The entire ares is engulfed in flame and only when under control a huge WW2 bomb is discovered which explodes destroying everything beyond repair.
THE END.

There's more.... When this episode is shown on TV the viewing followers of the series are overcome with grief and immediately turn to the one and only thing they can rely on and trust in....
FACEBOOK

In turn the Facebook site becomes so overwhelmed with messages for support it crashes to such an alarming degree it becomes impossible to salvage the system and it too is forced to close, permanently!
I think I'm on to a winner here!

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:24 am

Your on a winner all through Peter, but particularly that last bit. Oh if dreams could only come true!
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 am

Thanks Peter, really enjoyed that, and of course the final bit brings it up to the early part of your mega, "Time to Build a Railway but where" thread ( for anyone newish here, who hasn't put 2 and 2 together)

PS Agree wholeheartedly about the Face-ache thing!
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:23 am

Great saga, Peter. Even though I've seen it in the flesh, I didn't take in all the details at the time. And then, of course, there's all your Emett stuff ...........

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:30 am

Thank you Peter - as one of the people who originally asked you to share this, I've really enjoyed the story, description and the pics - I (like many more I'm sure ) will draw inspiration from it all and use it as a great reference point going forward - the level of detail is staggering (loving the loo!)

Re your Eastenders 'script' - its a bit good .... have you thought about pitching your ideas to the BBC? ;) - well if they don't grab them, I'm sure either ITV or Channel 4 will go for it - judging by the rubbish on there at the moment, your meths disaster sounds highly credible!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:07 pm

We could do our own YouTube production...

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks Peter. Did you ever do the Bristol / Thornbury show? Just wondering if I ever saw it And thought big gauge not for me. Since taking up the garden scale I have begun to appreciate anything with two rails rather than oo gauge or no gauge as I once did. Shame on me.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi Bazzer, I remember we did exhibit in Bristol alongside the quay in a converted warehouse, I can't recall the year off-hand but it was a large exhibition with quality displays over two floors. The accommodation was excellent too in a hotel overlooking the quay from the opposite side.
I remember several exhibitors were in the bar quite late until a number decided to retire at the same time, this unfortunately overloaded the lift which stuck between floors. Eventually, on release, all those trapped rushed back to the bar to recover from their ordeal.
There must be a moral there somewhere?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi Peter,

This has been very interesting, it's nice to hear how it all developed. Thanks for sharing the story.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 pm

very interesting peter thanks for sharing