The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:11 pm

We cannot sustain moss growth here in south east Queensland , however the POR's head horticulturist (MAM) discovered 'Pratia - white star creeper'. Kept moist is spreads nicely as a ground cover and keeps bubbling out cute little white flowers. In dry times it seemed to sulk but hangs in. With daily watering from the rain water tanks and the occasional dose of the worm juice water it spreads along in a nice manner. It is a 2 hour round trip to the only nursery known to have these little fellas, so Plod dived into the ethernet and ordered 10 more tube stock on line and they arrived in good nick 3 days later and these are doing well. Plod had never had plants delivered before and he was most pleased with how it went.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

GAP
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by GAP » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:56 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:11 pm We cannot sustain moss growth here in south east Queensland , however the POR's head horticulturist (MAM) discovered 'Pratia - white star creeper'. Kept moist is spreads nicely as a ground cover and keeps bubbling out cute little white flowers. In dry times it seemed to sulk but hangs in. With daily watering from the rain water tanks and the occasional dose of the worm juice water it spreads along in a nice manner. It is a 2 hour round trip to the only nursery known to have these little fellas, so Plod dived into the ethernet and ordered 10 more tube stock on line and they arrived in good nick 3 days later and these are doing well. Plod had never had plants delivered before and he was most pleased with how it went.

Where did you order them from?
Graeme
From the home of the Ringbalin Light Railway
https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspo ... -page.html

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:47 am

GAP wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:56 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:11 pm We cannot sustain moss growth here in south east Queensland , however the POR's head horticulturist (MAM) discovered 'Pratia - white star creeper'. Kept moist is spreads nicely as a ground cover and keeps bubbling out cute little white flowers. In dry times it seemed to sulk but hangs in. With daily watering from the rain water tanks and the occasional dose of the worm juice water it spreads along in a nice manner. It is a 2 hour round trip to the only nursery known to have these little fellas, so Plod dived into the ethernet and ordered 10 more tube stock on line and they arrived in good nick 3 days later and these are doing well. Plod had never had plants delivered before and he was most pleased with how it went.

Where did you order them from?
Captain Plod googled and found this mob

https://www.australianplantsonline.com.au

Ordered on Thursday, delivered the following Monday.
They were buried late afternoon Monday 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:30 am

They look far prettier than our myob.... :thumbright:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:04 am

FWLR wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:30 am They look far prettier than our myob.... :thumbright:
Especially after the frost's killed it off until Spring!

Looks like White Star Creeper grows in the UK too:

"A ground-hugging perennial to 1.5cm, forming a mat of tiny, rounded leaves. Throughout summer it produces a mass of star-shaped white flowers to 7mm across. Spreads rapidly. Grow in fertile, loamy, reliably moist soil in full sun to partial shade. No pruning required."

I imagine the trick is to balance the requirement for "reliably moist soil" with its seemingly only tolerating partial shade, but I might buy some and experiment. Thanks Dazza!

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:16 am

Andrew,
I think we had/have some of this. SWMBO has something certainly very similar in a partly shaded planter filled with compost and it does well there. I did take a cutting for the railway a couple of years back but I put it in a totally shaded area on clay and forgot about it. I just went out to take a look and there may be alittle bit still there but, covered in frost as it is this morning, I can't be sure it's the same stuff.
Anyway, I'd say it is worth a try but do take heed of the planting instructions!

Edite to add that now the frost has melted in that oart of the grden I've had another look and I'm pretty sure it is the same leaf. Interestingly, it seems to have migrated sideways from where I think I put it originally and is now working its way into the limestone chippings of the path.
Philip

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:23 pm

Awaiting to whistle off shed for an afternoon mixed goods.

Shunt and await time.

Leaving Cabbage Tree Creek Station on our way to the main line.

Entering onto the mainline.

On our way to nowhere

Local dragons do like a bit of train spotting at the Potters Orchid Railway.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:30 pm

Not there yet

Quarry tipper shuttle was out and about. One day the POR will paint the loco. Who knows, it could be this year.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:29 pm

Lovely pictures Dazza, I particularly like the dry-stone embankment, very impressive!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:29 pm

Wow! Wonderful.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:52 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:29 pm Lovely pictures Dazza, I particularly like the dry-stone embankment, very impressive!
Laid in place chip by chip and liquid nails to fix in place. A relaxing job listening to test cricket.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:55 pm

BertieB wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:29 pm Wow! Wonderful.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:33 am

Fantastic photos Dazza. MAM's loco looks superb in all of her finery. Your's is impressive too.

See the Dragon is back. He looks impressive too..

:coolphotos

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:24 am

The Potters Orchid Railway just had a weekend invite run to replace the planned new years eve bash that was cancelled due to the covid outbreak in the POR staff. It was a big production for MAM and Captain Plod with assistance over the weekend by Maestro and his good lad, Banksy was OIC of the yard and the head shunter's duties was delivered by Tarnish. It was warm weather so the ice cold beer was most soothing. Running was from midday Saturday into the evening, A pause for the a cappella performance by the Ellen clan from the over looking back deck. More running and then a stop for a big evening feast and then back running till Midnight arrived. Visitors came and went, some with rolling stock, others just to spectate. It got crowded, it got noisy, there was even pottery lessons and it was all 110% fun. The foamers and dribblers were in total heaven. 11 stayed over night in their swags that were spread all over the place, on workshop floors , back deck, lounge floor, car port.... Sunday arrived, some started early running in the soft morning light for photography and then this was paused for a big cooked breakfast. Running did not simmer down till late Sunday afternoon but still continued till 7.30pm for the last visitors who stayed for dinner. It was a big weekend. It is about the sharing, old friends and new friends. It was fun. It is why MAM and Plod built the garden with a railway in it.

More pics here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 0306146028

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:15 am

Looks like a fantastic w/e and avery good time had by all. The railway looks superb as well.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:50 am

Great to see so many people having a brilliant time on your line. MAM with her coaching the potter's wheel is good to see. Young people there having some excellent quality time with you and your friends.

I have always wanted to try doing some pottery since we did it at school, but other things took over and it got put way back on the back burner. Think I might look into seeing if there are any classes around that can try and teach me a new skill.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:25 pm

Now that's a gathering! Our local group have started to put dates in our diary and it looks promising for a busy 2023.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:47 pm

Atmospheric shots of the railway, Dazza. Looks like a grand event.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:33 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:47 pm Looks like a grand event.
Doesn't it?!

Great to see all your hard work paying off!

Andrew

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:56 pm

Benismmo and Captain Plod said good bye to Mr Specture.
Later this week Mr Specture will be off on to a new railway.
Stay tuned for more reports. He has plenty of material and promises to write more reports up as soon as his head clears. (Crikey he can sink some Aussie Red Wine!)