The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Big Jim

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Big Jim » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 am

Cambrian Models do some plastic signal bits and bobs, I think Brandbright did as well.

Model Signal Engineering may be worth a look as well. I have one of there lever frames tucked away for when I finally get around to building a decent layout.
http://www.modelsignals.com/mse_home.htm

I look forward to seeing the frame in operation. Fully interlocked....Ooo (Goes weak at the knees)
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:48 pm

The stop board moved 5M last night. Over the temporary bridge. (MVL underarch is on order) .
Spoke to Harold at Modratec about some final details for the frame at the Orchid House loop. Track soon to be laid around that loop.
With rain, wind, work, the C130 Agent Orange fly by and dump keeps getting canceled and the weeds are taking hold. After the signal wires are in and the fully interlocked frame is in, the electrical wires follow and the irrigation system is then next which is gravity fed from the rain water tanks on the higher level. Then the terra forming begins, to build the mountains etc that the line winds around. Lastly the planting out which MAM will enjoy. The new property fences are to be erected soon, which means rocks and soil, then the final walking path, pergola and gardens will go in. 1-2 years at this rate.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 am

I like those s bends even more - very snake like - you could call that section snake pass if its passing between mountains and hills
Where did I put that uncoupler?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:57 am

It's nice to have the space to build sweeping curves.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 pm

markoteal wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 am I like those s bends even more - very snake like - you could call that section snake pass if its passing between mountains and hills
We have lots of "Carpet Pythons" here (harmless), but our chooks used to live in fear! There is a Green Tree Snake (also harmless) that was seen slithering under one of the wall blocks when I was laying the form work at the Orchid House loop, so yes, "Snake Pass" is appropriate.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:53 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:57 am It's nice to have the space to build sweeping curves.
Thanks, if I had more space I would double the radius of the curves and the hills would be bigger, but then I am starting to go off the path that I and MAM intend. I am interested in slow moving realistic train speeds, steam hauled with the all the sensory stimulation that brings, lever frames similar to a real railway. Some scenery detail but I need to keep at my metal work (Model Engineering) which is # 1 in my creative path and also full size railway stuff.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:44 pm

The Stop Board Moved a lot further last night.

MAM was in the pottery shed checking over the 39 test glazes she recently fired while I cut rail, drilled and screwed track. The brass screws have not all arrived from the supplier due to their messing up the order. Onto the Orchid House loop which will have a 12 lever interlocked Modratec frame. MAM and I had a quick look at the evenings work this morning.

I wish we had another 5m of run between loops ....................... but be happy Dazza.

The loop and siding is next , then back to Potters Junction to complete the loco shed roads.

'

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:20 pm

I can see once nature takes hold this is going to be brilliant.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:52 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:20 pm I can see once nature takes hold this is going to be brilliant.
Thanks, I certainly hope so. A bit of work to be done around the railway its self , fences and paths etc, to keep the weeds at bay, with summer and rain it is terrible at this time. If you do not cover yourself in Mossie repellent your will soon pass out with the blood loss and it you stay still, Morning Glory vine and Cobblers Pegs will consume you and you will be lost forever.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:11 pm

The ST staff at the POR are pondering the contract for the signals and the orders , my question to the collective wisdom is has anybody used signal kits from "Tenmille"
http://www.tenmille.com/Trackside.html
Thoughts, comments etc.
Good pictures of the Tenmille signals seem to be elusive.
We have a sample of the Roundhouse kit offering but the POR will need some bracket signals or some single post double which Tenmille offer.
Comments, links to picture will be most welcome.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 pm

Not sure how useful this is but my indoor layout has Tenmille signals which were made from kits years ago. I didn't make them myself but I know they have wooden posts, whitemetal finials, arms, counter weights and brackets, brass ladders and are operated by brass rodding. They work well even under exhibition conditions and are capable of working still if only I could be bothered! They can be illuminated too.
IMG_3051.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG (462.11 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
This is the only picture I can find of a bracket signal, unfortunately with the arms cut off.
IMG_2661.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG (147.56 KiB) Viewed 5040 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:35 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 pm Not sure how useful this is but my indoor layout has Tenmille signals which were made from kits years ago. I didn't make them myself but I know they have wooden posts, whitemetal finials, arms, counter weights and brackets, brass ladders and are operated by brass rodding. They work well even under exhibition conditions and are capable of working still if only I could be bothered! They can be illuminated too.

This is the only picture I can find of a bracket signal, unfortunately with the arms cut off.
Peter, thanks for replying. I might sample a few. I like the idea of illuminated lamps for summer evening steam ups.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Only a wee bit of track laying one night this week, I have been crook with a head cold and also a fair bit of rain about. The weeds are growing dangerously fast. MAM and I were planning to the get the weed spraying into action, however, we have some Buff Banded Rails and her chics that are foraging about the long growth in the yard. So we don't herbicide about the place, rather have the birds. These are new fellas to the area only these last few years. I am not a fan of herbicides but it is grim here, looks like it is going to be hand work and weed eater cutting action. Day night Test match on the radio is promising to make the evening weed pulling more bearable.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Day night Test match on the radio is promising to make the evening weed pulling more bearable.
That depends........

I know what you mean about the use of chemicals in the garden. Where we lived before was such a haven for rare species I couldn't bring myself to disturb the garden too much.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Lovely bird, lots of goldfinches here and a dislike of weedkiller too.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:48 pm

No weedkiller here either.... too many dogs and watercourses.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Does any one know any one at
North Pilton Works
I was wanting to buy a kit of three Semaphore signals for sampling.
but the webpage seems a bit messed up and has changes each time I visit
http://northpiltonworks.com/pack-3-semaphore-signals

the shopping page tells you that to ship over seas you have to first contact them, which is only a contact form, (no email address) and I have submitted three times in 4-5 weeks, yet to receive a reply.

Sigh!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:59 pm

I ponder signals
- I want lower quadrant simple working Semaphores,
- I can illuminate the lamps with an LED
- I am not after exhibition scale detailed signals, however approx the correct size.
- Tough enough that the can be left outside for a few weeks at a time.
- Suitable for wire in tube operation.
- Minimal assembly required, I will be in the Red Room and or gardening.

It seems I am failing on discovering a commercial that is available.
Tenmillie might be the go and I might get a sample sent to look over. But I will have to bring them in every night, the storms here and the Bush Turkeys will make a mess of them

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:27 am

There is someone on eBay that makes signals from Plastikard every now and then and I have one that has been outside all year.

They are a bit crude though but will not rot outside.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:25 pm

Instead of weedkiller or herbicides you could lay down big pieces of cardboard and bricks on top. It shields off the sunlight killing the weeds and the cardboard will desolve after a several weeks outside. Then it's up to you to get other plants in before the weeds turn back. Quite effective, but you have to be patient for a few weeks and it doesn't look that pretty for a while..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.