The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:02 pm

Planted out Potters Junction yesterday, we finished in the dark. Best time to plant is late afternoon, less plant shock. That is it for major planting. Now it is just fun details to do and fill in with buildings and see how the plantings go. The annuals will be replaced next season and the perennials will grow up and fill. The footpaths, slab and awnings we hope will be started soon. I will be back in the Red Room soon and working with metal and my loco build. It has been a good winter of enjoyment at the POR.
More cactus were added yesterday evening.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:13 am

It's looking fantastic Dazza. I love the cactus planting very much. I see "Williamine" the Water Dragon is still in residence.
Just wish I was able to see your line for real, but sadly that's never going to happen....

PS Hope you don't mind naming the Water Dragon.... :roll:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:25 pm

This has just appeared on youtube.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kloFGMbP6Zs
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:25 pm This has just appeared on youtube.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kloFGMbP6Zs
Yes, that is me in the black hat, I drove out and put 974 back on the carriages at Amamoor. The footplate rider was on my shoulder while I drove out and then I fired home and we put the footplate rider in the fireman's seat, which means I stand the the whole time on the fall plate. That was the third day of four I was on steam living the dream.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:01 pm

FWLR wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:13 am It's looking fantastic Dazza. I love the cactus planting very much. I see "Williamine" the Water Dragon is still in residence.
Just wish I was able to see your line for real, but sadly that's never going to happen....

PS Hope you don't mind naming the Water Dragon.... :roll:
From now on, she will be known as "Williamine". We had a wee youngun from last years hatchings running about as well and another Male who lives under deck in amongst the stuff stored there. There is another MAMA that digs holes for eggs about the place and she adores bits of cheese. We have mounted a little camera on a wagon and will be experimenting with videos of the line from the drivers shoulder and in front of the loco, so that may give you an idea of the POR. I am not a modeler and never will be, I want to get back to the Red Room (The Llewellyn Locomotive works) and get back to my loco making but with track ballasting, buildings, lights and some details and more signals for Potters Junction, so much to do...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:32 pm

Captain Plod likes his cactus garden.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:43 pm

At Potters Junction, MAM was making a Lasagna dish, it almost became a Bonsai pot as she was not all that happy with it.

Mean while as summer arrived and the shade from the trees has disappeared Captain Plod was rebuilding the top of the bed above Potters Junction Tunnel. The garden bed now continues into the top bed where Day Lilies, Roses and what ever else reside.

Soak the bed, plant, one is a giant Kangaroo Paw, water down the mulch, all is now ready for the paths to remove the dirt pathways which was mud and now dust and more dust.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:49 am

Love the way that flower bed now fades into the railway scenery, so that the railway becomes part of the garden and real world landscape.
Philip

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:16 am

What a wonderful railway you're creating there - so much to enjoy! I think the tunnel mouth in the cutting is my favourite of the recent pictures, it looks just right...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:24 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:32 pm Captain Plod likes his cactus garden.

Love this photo so much. :thumbright: :thumbright:
I guess it will look so much more when you get to ballast it and perhaps a photo of MAM's Lady Anne in steam on it...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:34 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:49 am Love the way that flower bed now fades into the railway scenery, so that the railway becomes part of the garden and real world landscape.
Thanks Phillip, in hindsight I wish we did that as well at the other end, might still be able to do that but the space is tighter and to be honest I am in need of a break of rocks and cement and mixing and shoveling soil. It is soon time to get back to the Red Room and get on with the tender of my loco build. However I am already having thoughts of "Next time we will do this and that and include this and do it this way and longer and " but I slap myself a few times about the face, there will not be a next time, this little railway will be it.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Andrew wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:16 am What a wonderful railway you're creating there - so much to enjoy! I think the tunnel mouth in the cutting is my favourite of the recent pictures, it looks just right...

Cheers,

Andrew.
I just told MAM you like the tunnel, she liked that. I keep saying we are making a garden with a small railway in it, it will not be a scale model railway.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 pm

After a day in the bike frame making workshop I sat down under the awning of the Pottery shed, tiredly contemplating the railway. MAM some time ago brought home a bag of slate chips from the evil empire's big green box. Bingo ! Off I went to get a tube of liquid nails from the workshop. Just the relaxing project I needed last night, finishing in the dark with one only glass of red. Bravo MAM for the bag of slate chips that have been waiting for 2 years.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:02 pm

"Feathers, I don't think management have a full grip on this camera gizmo"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:03 pm

Why this drone pic this morning?
Management simply liked it.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:21 am

A wee test run of the video camera wagon last Sunday night. It is a rough video as I just turned it on and payed attention to the conversations with others and it was dark and one stall, to get the run with 12 axles steady and slow, 25-30 psi is best, but there was one stall, if the radius was greater all the better but... I oil the curves with light oil and that makes a noticeable difference and also a pre run wipe of the rail with a sponge scourer does wonders for smooth steady running but I did not do that last Sunday, I just hosed the track to remove garden soil and sugar cane mulch. The RC and plate work still to be done by MAM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... ed-public/
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:14 am

That slate wall is beautiful, Dazza.

The video gives just a glimpse of the pleasures to come once it is all complete, thank you.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:37 am

What a brilliantly built Slate Wall, you really have got a talent for using materials to their fullest Dazza.

Love the video shoot too. Thank you Dazza it's fantastic....

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:37 am

I take it that you were using the waterpump pliers to break/cut the slate, was that an easy process? I ask as I can see a whole host of possible construction projects on my railway, I have thought about this process before but have never actually carried out any experiments with slate.
Phil

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:58 am

pandsrowe wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:37 am I can see a whole host of possible construction projects on my railway, I have thought about this process before but have never actually carried out any experiments with slate.
Slate is a really useful and durable construction material to use on our railways. I have used old roofing slates and slate chippings for a number of things including ..... Buffers.....
IMG_1172.JPG
IMG_1172.JPG (176.33 KiB) Viewed 3868 times

Water tower...
IMG_1187.JPG
IMG_1187.JPG (139.78 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Cattle dock....
IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG (172.75 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Platform edging.....
IMG_3542.JPG
IMG_3542.JPG (185.92 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
Paving slabs.....
IMG_5860.JPG
IMG_5860.JPG (134.66 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
All of the above are cut to size with a wet tile cutter.
I started to build a castle using slate chippings, but that needs a lot more patience so was never finished, but the idea does work.....
IMG_2039.JPG
IMG_2039.JPG (116.29 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
IMG_2064.JPG
IMG_2064.JPG (131.35 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG (155.61 KiB) Viewed 3868 times
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?