The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by FWLR » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:11 am

Plants are looking great already....

PS Don't know why I have to keep logging in now to reply to a post after reading it when I open the forum from your email notifications.... :scratch:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:12 am

PS I also have to login when I open your mail..... :scratch: :scratch:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:52 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:07 am Great looking pub MAM. Is it going to be placed in the space were the bridge is Dazza. :?:
Most likely, I am happy for MAM is choose the location. She is enjoying the clay building, she like making stuff like that as well as throwing.
We spoke last night of a station for Potters Junction, looked at a few pics to gain inspiration. We have a Pendle Valley kit for the Orchid house loop and that will be easy to lift off, our summers are harsh, I am not sure resin will hold up and the rock and concrete surfaces will get stinking hot.( 40c +) So with a ceramic station at Potters Junction we will leave it out in the weather.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:18 pm

MAM found a plant last night that needed a home, so technically the planting has began at Potters Junction

We have this native grass that grows in tufts and seems to be able to happily grow in oven baked clay and or gravel. It was self sowing around Potters Junction, left over from some many years ago before the house and site renos, so we thought it might do well in the hot and often dry narrow spaces in the rock work, so I dig and relocate and with some water it is already perked up over night.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Work at the POR will again resume as the head grafter has returned from a 4 day sejour at the Mary Valley Rattler.
This video is of the double steam day at the Mary Valley Rattler last Monday. Black loco #967, the plod in the black hat , he fired out and drove home. He managed to not break anything. (Compliments to Kane's Trains for the sharp video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E_aJVu ... ffQpDbpD5o

We double headed out the sheds up to the yard and also into the platform. It has been a while since two C17s have been coupled up in steam.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am

Some nice photos Dazza. The video is brilliant also. Just love that Rattler.... :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:29 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am Some nice photos Dazza. The video is brilliant also. Just love that Rattler.... :thumbright:
My grandparents retired to Gympie circa 1975 after selling the Boonah farm and I had many visits to stay in Butler street Gympie which is not far from the yard. I would wander down and watch trains, visit the cabin, ride the shunt loco and catch the Rm2000 railmotor back to Brisbane after a weeks stay. I could never have imagined that 45 years later I would be crewing at the Rattler. Back then I dreamed of creating a huge scale HO model of the Gympie yard and station. When MAM and I visited the MVHR for a ride (circa 2009) we got to know the crew that day, MAM got a contract job at Downer EDI (loco and EMU works) in Maryborough from chats with the loco driver whi was the head engineer at Downer edi and the fireman who I now know well and I would have a week off work on occasions and stay in the guards van set up for over night accommodation and help in the MVHR workshop. (my passionate love affair with #253 started then) Then MVHR had to shut down and I spent some time at Rosewood Railway which struggled on for a few years and is currently closed. (just not enough human resources to keep operational) When the MVR restart was underwa started I got stuck in from the first minute of crew training commencing and very much enjoyed it and still enjoying the journey. The Rattler has a great team of lasses and lads, simply a good bunch to be about. I am living the dream. It is possible for ordinary sods like me to live the dream. So my heart has been with the Gympie station since 1975.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:41 pm

After four days of Steam for me and MAM chasing trains for four days, MAM was keen to run her engine, so we did last night. The plantings are coming along as well as can be expected.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:02 am

The plants are taking hold really quickly, MAM certainly has the green finger touch, it is looking beautiful.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:12 am

Agree, those plants are looking fantastic. Shame ours are now starting to wilt. Great photos again Dazza..
MAM's Lady Anne coming out of the tunnel is brilliant.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:54 pm

Already looking well established. Must be a great joy to see it all coming together

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:10 pm

Last night Captain Plod was off to mix some soil and fill in some more spaces ready for planting out this weekend, however the head horticulturist of the POR noticed Mama water dragon laying eggs on the very top of the Potters Junction tunnel, so labour was switched to laying track in the siding/steam bay extension next to the Cactus garden. It is good MAM noticed Mama laying eggs so it is now marked with an upside down hanging basket so we do not step or dig there for a few months.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:25 pm

Water Dragon...... wow!!! All I get on my railway are dogs.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:23 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:25 pm Water Dragon...... wow!!! All I get on my railway are dogs.
This water dragon lives under the back stairs where the motor mower is stored (only used for the foot path grass at the street ) Last night after she laid eggs MAM fed her some small pieces of Banana. Dragons also like cheddar cheese, or little pieces of meat, I kid you not, some will come running to you when they see you, knowing some morsels will be offered. It is fun. The dragons will gobble up bugs around the compost piles and will chomp up the odd small sweet flower in the garden. There are a few that live in rocks around the neighbours pool, if we stand on on our back deck at the railing they will come running, even swim across the pool to get some cheese. The big problem is the dogs one neighbour has, many dragons have been slaughtered, very sad. When the little dragons hatch the Kookaburras, Butcher birds and Magpies gobble many up. I have watched a Green Tree snake chase across the floor of my workshop a hatched little dragon and gooble it up and then return to the nest area and repeat the chase across the floor and gooble up a few more. Life out there is dangerous. The Spangled Drongos have again flown in this week from New Guinea and will again nest and be gone in 3-4 months. All happening here...

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:49 am

Amazing wildlife you have. :thumbright: Wish we had those water dragons to eat all the spiders and ants that prowl our garden.... :lol:

All we get here are flipping pigeons and seagulls...... :cussing:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:02 pm

Planted out Potters Junction yesterday, we finished in the dark. Best time to plant is late afternoon, less plant shock. That is it for major planting. Now it is just fun details to do and fill in with buildings and see how the plantings go. The annuals will be replaced next season and the perennials will grow up and fill. The footpaths, slab and awnings we hope will be started soon. I will be back in the Red Room soon and working with metal and my loco build. It has been a good winter of enjoyment at the POR.
More cactus were added yesterday evening.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:13 am

It's looking fantastic Dazza. I love the cactus planting very much. I see "Williamine" the Water Dragon is still in residence.
Just wish I was able to see your line for real, but sadly that's never going to happen....

PS Hope you don't mind naming the Water Dragon.... :roll:

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:25 pm

This has just appeared on youtube.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kloFGMbP6Zs

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:53 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:25 pm This has just appeared on youtube.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kloFGMbP6Zs
Yes, that is me in the black hat, I drove out and put 974 back on the carriages at Amamoor. The footplate rider was on my shoulder while I drove out and then I fired home and we put the footplate rider in the fireman's seat, which means I stand the the whole time on the fall plate. That was the third day of four I was on steam living the dream.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:01 pm

FWLR wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:13 am It's looking fantastic Dazza. I love the cactus planting very much. I see "Williamine" the Water Dragon is still in residence.
Just wish I was able to see your line for real, but sadly that's never going to happen....

PS Hope you don't mind naming the Water Dragon.... :roll:
From now on, she will be known as "Williamine". We had a wee youngun from last years hatchings running about as well and another Male who lives under deck in amongst the stuff stored there. There is another MAMA that digs holes for eggs about the place and she adores bits of cheese. We have mounted a little camera on a wagon and will be experimenting with videos of the line from the drivers shoulder and in front of the loco, so that may give you an idea of the POR. I am not a modeler and never will be, I want to get back to the Red Room (The Llewellyn Locomotive works) and get back to my loco making but with track ballasting, buildings, lights and some details and more signals for Potters Junction, so much to do...