The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:59 pm

Loco inspection before leaving the shed.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:04 pm

Potters Orchid Railway, New Years Eve 2020 operations commence 3.00pm. Midnight whistle in 2021
1.00 PM 2021 the lights are tuned off.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... ed-public/
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:34 am

Happy New Year to you both.

I can't remember if I have already posted good wishes. Never mind, it's always fantastic seeing your line Dazza, hope the brownie was helpful in controlling that mob... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:24 pm

FWLR wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:34 am Happy New Year to you both.

I can't remember if I have already posted good wishes. Never mind, it's always fantastic seeing your line Dazza, hope the brownie was helpful in controlling that mob... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thankyou. We also send best wishes to you and every one for the future. I will do my best to give some updates and photos. At this moment I am garden railway running exhausted. Yesterday was the first day of getting up after a real sleep, a full 9 hours and doing some work in the Redroom on the tender, also some more plants to grow down over the back block wall to hide it. My silly head is already thinking of what the design would be if one started again and with more room. More room for the humans that is. Every one had a good time, I did not get to take enough photos, many more showed up. The virus is just starting to bubble up again as the state borders were opened and now they are shutting down again. Other wise it barely exists here, however that I know will change again. Anyhow MAM and myself are enjoying the garden railway immensely. 2021, let the wide balls go through to the keeper, duck under the short deliveries, scratch out your mark again and face the next one, play the good ones that are at the stumps.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:48 am

The Chairperson of the Potters Orchid Railway has a Binnie Tipper production line underway.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:25 am

I bought my first one a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately money is short.... :(
Looking forward to seeing yours on the line soon Dazza. Will you be doing anything to them, ie: weathering or damage...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:21 pm

Very tasty! Have you turned your own metal wheelsets?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:21 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:25 am Will you be doing anything to them, ie: weathering or damage...
I wondered that too! I've got another five Big Big Train tippers to rust up over the coming months...

Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out Dazza...

Andrew.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:43 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:25 am I bought my first one a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately money is short.... :(
Looking forward to seeing yours on the line soon Dazza. Will you be doing anything to them, ie: weathering or damage...
These are MAM's tippers and she is assembling them, she intends to paint them soon with some weathering etc.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:44 pm

ge_rik wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:21 pm Very tasty! Have you turned your own metal wheelsets?

Rik
MAM bought some metal wheels for them.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Brandbright still trading ?

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:12 am

Brandbright. Does anyone know if they are actually still trading? I have read the news page on their site so I know there has been health problems, however the last news mentions "In the meantime we will continue to trade as normal." The shopping page is still open. I place an order, put in a not inconsiderable payment amount, email auto order acknowledgment . Then nothing nothing for three weeks, has the order been dispatched ? are they short of some kits ? It is mentioned that we will be notified if they are short of kits etc, so I send emails, no replies and I have even phoned, no reply, cannot leave a message, just rings out.
If one is not well, that cannot be helped, I appreciate that is life can change or work cannot continue however can some one put a message on the website, set up a message on the contact phone number and or close the shopping page.
I am a wee bit concerned.

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Brandbright still trading ?

Post by georgesheppard » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:16 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:12 am Brandbright. Does anyone know if they are actually still trading? I have read the news page on their site so I know there has been health problems, however the last news mentions "In the meantime we will continue to trade as normal." The shopping page is still open. I place an order, put in a not inconsiderable payment amount, email auto order acknowledgment . Then nothing nothing for three weeks, has the order been dispatched ? are they short of some kits ? It is mentioned that we will be notified if they are short of kits etc, so I send emails, no replies and I have even phoned, no reply, cannot leave a message, just rings out.
If one is not well, that cannot be helped, I appreciate that is life can change or work cannot continue however can some one put a message on the website, set up a message on the contact phone number and or close the shopping page.
I placed an order almost a month ago and have heard nothing since the order confirmation email...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:23 am

georgesheppard wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:16 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:12 am Brandbright. Does anyone know if they are actually still trading? I have read the news page on their site so I know there has been health problems, however the last news mentions "In the meantime we will continue to trade as normal." The shopping page is still open. I place an order, put in a not inconsiderable payment amount, email auto order acknowledgment . Then nothing nothing for three weeks, has the order been dispatched ? are they short of some kits ? It is mentioned that we will be notified if they are short of kits etc, so I send emails, no replies and I have even phoned, no reply, cannot leave a message, just rings out.
I placed an order almost a month ago and have heard nothing since the order confirmation email...
Crikey.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:34 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:23 am
Crikey.
Sadly this seems to all too common (in the UK at least) with the smaller cottage industry type suppliers. Having put orders in waited tried to contact, and nothing, I have found perseverance the only solution, but when you want the part, this week it is more like impatience. In most cases they are just very busy, but I agree a response, even just a holding one would be nice.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:10 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:34 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:23 am

Crikey.
Sadly this seems to all too common (in the UK at least) with the smaller cottage industry type suppliers. Having put orders in waited tried to contact, and nothing, I have found perseverance the only solution, but when you want the part, this week it is more like impatience. In most cases they are just very busy, but I agree a response, even just a holding one would be nice.
I would have to agree. I am full time self employed for over 20 years and the 20 years before that a part time business, the thing I took on early was communicate with the customers, reply within 24 hours. Have they vanished ? thoughts clients will have will have when there is no response must be appreciated. A simple answering machine at least on the phone line. If the owner is incapacitated a simple message takes some one 5 mins to put on the phone for them. A lot of the garden railway businesses I have dealt with these last 4 years seem as if they thought turning the hobby into a business seemed a good idea, they worked for wages most of their life and then put on the side a micro business, but then the relentlessness of it becomes a chore, impost, even dread in the evenings when they rather watch the tele. Running a small micro business is long hours unless you are switched on and tight on getting things done. After 40 years plus of my trade and I am still learning to deal with the frustrations that I have no control of.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:45 pm

Andrew from Brandbright has replied, a relief for me as 4 weeks have gone by after my considerable payment
My kits depart the UK this week.
I do wish him good health and a smooth process finding a new owner for the business.

Mike Griff
New User
New User

Post by Mike Griff » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:15 am

Hi Dazza,
Just read through the thread, absolutely stunning, the atmosphere around the build and your life view brings on a big smile, thankyou, Mike

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:56 pm

Mike Griff wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:15 am Hi Dazza,
Just read through the thread, absolutely stunning, the atmosphere around the build and your life view brings on a big smile, thankyou, Mike

Thanks, my secret is Mary Ann (MAM) , she is the voice that says "do it" :-) Sharing is fun as well.
Later I may add more photos and stories but life is full, soon maybe, soon.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:24 am

Good to hear from you Dazza. I was wondering how the Potters Orchid was faring.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:08 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:24 am Good to hear from you Dazza. I was wondering how the Potters Orchid was faring.

Rik
Rik, all is good at the POR,we have some friends coming over this weekend for some running, but no progress at all on the railway, time is being devoted to loco build in the Red Room.
I will put some pics up again but Flickr have made it harder.