The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:37 pm

For anyone starting out this is a masterclass on track laying.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:01 pm

The SSP Slomo will make even poorly laid track seem like it is flat and true so do not worry too much.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Your standards are very high Dazza. We have a saying on the permanent way over here (I'm sure you've heard it down there too), 'If it looks right it is right'. Yours looks right! you can look forward to some smooth, trouble free and aesthetically pleasing running. As Bazzer says, this really is a master class. :thumbright:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:21 pm

Soar Valley Light wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 pm Your standards are very high Dazza. We have a saying on the permanent way over here (I'm sure you've heard it down there too), 'If it looks right it is right'. Yours looks right! you can look forward to some smooth, trouble free and aesthetically pleasing running. As Bazzer says, this really is a master class. :thumbright:
Thanks every one for your kind comments, they are much appreciated. I am not really a master class, I am just following the many foot steps as others, I gather mags and books, peak at forums, read, formulate some ideas and techniques and then one day I hit out. For example I have the Haynes book on Garden Railways. One useful tip that I took out of it was about a rail forming roller device, so I got my little Sieg out and put it to service. Looking at Mr Butlers ballast and others is where I will go when that time arrives, if I can find the same sort of brew as the SBS stuff here down under. I saw a chap's garden railway in an old "Railway Modeler" magazine that I got at my primary school fete when I was 11-12 yo, it was a HO set up that ran out of his shed into the garden and since then the Image has been festering away skull. Back then I did a bit of HO, till my bike racing took hold. Now it must be steam and I need one coal fired loco so the atmosphere is fully authentic to one's senses :D (a bit of smokey Acland coal in the mix) This is a pleasant diversion from my model engineering desires and my full size railway past time, add a garden, and wine and beer and smelly cheese and good friends and that is my vision. It will be next summer when I think we can properly enjoy the POR.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 pm

That vision of a combination of garden railway, wine, smelly cheese and good friends makes me wish we were neighbours.
If you have such a thing you are indeed a very lucky man.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 pm That vision of a combination of garden railway, wine, smelly cheese and good friends makes me wish we were neighbours.
I am fortunate. It is just plain luck to be born into a good location and with good health for now. It is not some great mysterious plan and I am on puppet strings, just plain fortunate luck.
The trick is to make the most of what one has, watching East Enders etc is a waste of precious time, however I do like the UK crime shows like 'Endevour" etc, to rest my aching feet on a Friday evening.
If you ever hop into the big silver bird and drop down to down under, we will have a steam up and feast for you. We also have good very neighbours and we share meals.
I hope to get to the UK again in 2019 for bike shows and railway stuff, I also hope to have my Loco finished by then and I want to visit Peterborough show with my loco . We missed the show this year as the Bespoke Bike Show was on that weekend in Bristol and we were there to exhibit. I will be knocking on your door to see your railway when I get to Wales again.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:19 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 pm That vision of a combination of garden railway, wine, smelly cheese and good friends makes me wish we were neighbours.
I will be knocking on your door to see your railway when I get to Wales again.
You will be most welcome... I'm looking forward to it already!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:24 am

You most likely can smell some thing burning. :bom:
I am thinking. :oops:
Modratec are just up the road from me on my drive to the Gympie Rattler where I am crew training for next year's kick off for steam and Railmotor operations again.
Is there any other mobs I should consider for a mechanical lever frame for my signals and points ? :scratch:
Life is too short to make one, as much as I would love to, I want to get my Red Room action to be on the new loco.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:30 am

Beautifully laid track. Makes even the most level track on my line look like a switchback. :o :lol:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:32 pm

work continues, around the loop we go, or had I gone around the loop years ago ?

Work wagon is loaded up, also used to play with, I mean test the track.

the last bit of 800mm radius curve is about to inserted. There was supposed to me more room here but the chaps laying the walls some years ago messed it up.

Done, but for a final alignment jiggle.

Next is the loco roads and out of the Potters Junction station yard, over the wilderness, off towards the Orchid house loop. Contemplating an interlocked 24 leaver frame for Potters Junction and a 10 lever interlocked frame at Orchid House Loop. It was supposed to be simple, but..........................................

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Getting technical now, looking good though.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Great work again :thumbright: The precision that goes into laying each length of track is clear to see and a joy to behold.

I had to smile when I saw the wagon, I'm using exactly the same sort of wagon for exactly the same purpose. I find if I don't that tools and materials sneak off into the verges of the track to hide from me! :evil:

Please keep the updates coming.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:00 am

Some L&B rolling stock has been unloaded from the wharf and was urgently pressed into service on the POR after regauged wheels sets were fitted as the track gang needed a bigger work train.

However constant showers has been disruptive to progress and the traps had to thrown over.

Then the track mob went home and are sulking but have decided to work on the fully interlocked signalling system design to be delivered from Modratec some time in the near future

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:32 am

Beautiful track laying and proper rain! We had a day of good old British drizzle yesterday, dampens your spirits more than any showers. So, jealous of your trackwork and your weather :D

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway Signals

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 am

Thank you every one for your kind comments. I really want to build just one reasonable working model railway once in my life before I start composting.
Signals
I got a sample Roundhouse Semaphore Single kit, #LA1 when we were in the UK earlier this year and it looks good. I can modify these into distants and build them easily into a couple multi arm signal posts.

I am scanning the SMT mags etc, but are there any other breeds to consider ?

I looked at
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com.au/201 ... gnals.html
and that does appeal but with all the other things I have going in the full size railway world I see a need to expidate some aspects of the POR.
I am planning towards a mechanical Modratec interlocked frame of 12 -13 levers at one end and 21 lever frame at the other end.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 am

Cambrian Models do some plastic signal bits and bobs, I think Brandbright did as well.

Model Signal Engineering may be worth a look as well. I have one of there lever frames tucked away for when I finally get around to building a decent layout.
http://www.modelsignals.com/mse_home.htm

I look forward to seeing the frame in operation. Fully interlocked....Ooo (Goes weak at the knees)
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:48 pm

The stop board moved 5M last night. Over the temporary bridge. (MVL underarch is on order) .
Spoke to Harold at Modratec about some final details for the frame at the Orchid House loop. Track soon to be laid around that loop.
With rain, wind, work, the C130 Agent Orange fly by and dump keeps getting canceled and the weeds are taking hold. After the signal wires are in and the fully interlocked frame is in, the electrical wires follow and the irrigation system is then next which is gravity fed from the rain water tanks on the higher level. Then the terra forming begins, to build the mountains etc that the line winds around. Lastly the planting out which MAM will enjoy. The new property fences are to be erected soon, which means rocks and soil, then the final walking path, pergola and gardens will go in. 1-2 years at this rate.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 am

I like those s bends even more - very snake like - you could call that section snake pass if its passing between mountains and hills
Where did I put that uncoupler?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:57 am

It's nice to have the space to build sweeping curves.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 pm

markoteal wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:55 am I like those s bends even more - very snake like - you could call that section snake pass if its passing between mountains and hills
We have lots of "Carpet Pythons" here (harmless), but our chooks used to live in fear! There is a Green Tree Snake (also harmless) that was seen slithering under one of the wall blocks when I was laying the form work at the Orchid House loop, so yes, "Snake Pass" is appropriate.