The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Peter Butler » Mon May 14, 2018 10:57 am

What amazing plant growth in a short time..... Indiana Jones would not look out of place there!
The rocks will make a wonderful backdrop and give a sense of scale to the railway.... nice to have some time to devote to your hobby at last.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:25 am

Those rocks are something else and will make wonderful view blockers of trains on the move. Can't beat catching sight of a train and trying to guess when it will reappear.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon May 14, 2018 6:36 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 pm The POR has not received much attention as the staff have been occupied at the Llewellyn Locomotive works. While listening to the ODI the S&T department gave some thought to the lever frame and cabling.

1.20mm stainless wire inside Shimano gear cable casing.

Meanwhile at Potters Junction there was some glazing going on

Some thought to the terra forming was applied, using what ever scrap was laying about to give an idea.

One day this will all look tidy like the upper terrace.
That is a good mask for working with cement, spray paint aerosol and any other work that has dust particles.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon May 14, 2018 7:59 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:36 pm
That is a good mask for working with cement, spray paint aerosol and any other work that has dust particles.
Yes, I use a mask like that, with replaceable filters for all painting, sanding or anything else involving fine airborne particles.

That plant growth must have taken some clearance!

Ian
Ian

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon May 14, 2018 8:27 pm

We on the coast had the perfect summer for growing any thing, sun, heat, with weekly heavy rain and more sun woith many showers to keep all moist. The sweet potatoes were huge! Some 30cms longs.
Yet the inland is in a terrible drought and our drive down the Newell Highway to Melbourne was grim to see. Dirt and dust and feed was being trucked in for the live stock. I was doing work in the Red Room in the evenings on the loco and I am close to completing the assembly of the motion but for making the eccentric rods, however I am keen at the moment for the cooler months to be spent on landscaping labours, so I need to sort the signalling out and get that installed and working before the summer .
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:01 pm

After being seconded to the Llewellyn Locomotive Works the staff are now devoting some of their attention to S & T department. Signalling and installation of the interlocked frames at "Orchid Loop" is being considered along with the LED cabling.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Saturday was 6 solid hours of shunting at Gympie.
Sunday was working on the prototype signal attachment for the POR. There will be 20 signal posts on the POR and I am trying to make a reliable method and quick method of installation and removal. LED lamps as well so I have small connectors that I am trialing. Scale appearance is of little concern, it is reliability and function that I seek. Later this week I am on my reciprocating Steam ticket course.
Living the dream.

Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:52 pm

Great progress on an impressive line. I like the point switching method.
In that climate I bet if you turn your back for a day the weeds will be up round your ears.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:22 am

invicta280 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:52 pm Great progress on an impressive line. I like the point switching method.
In that climate I bet if you turn your back for a day the weeds will be up round your ears.
Thankyou. The weeds are grim here until we get the landscaping done, which might happen this summer but I think realistically that is 12 -18 months away. I am not sure of the point activation set up yet. I might make a crank to have the pull/push stainless wire run parallel with the track, I need to give this more thought. First signals, points and light wires, then the frame installed at the Orchid loop (MAM's Orchid house is on a higher level above the loop, hence the name.) . Waiting for the MVR under arch bridge. Then the terra forming at the Orchid loop up to the gorge. Then repeat all again at Potter's Junction (MAM has a small shed there where she does her pottery) . Then the final walking path and garden and an awning to sit under , to look at the gorge and bridge and sip nice reds, beers and smelly cheeses and share tall tales to all that are present.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:37 am

Marvellous bits of micro engineering. Must be satisfying to be able to apply your cycle production expertise to a novel use.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:37 am

Just read your thread and like others, I LOVE IT…the building of the track work has been so impressive. Oh how I long to be able to have a more permanent line. The winding track is brilliant and now you are putting those huge stones there, it will give people the impression of a mountain side track meandering along it’s edge.

Brilliant line, looking forward to a video or two of you’re rolling stock.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 am

FWLR wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:37 am Just read your thread and like others, I LOVE IT…the building of the track work has been so impressive. Oh how I long to be able to have a more permanent line. The winding track is brilliant and now you are putting those huge stones there, it will give people the impression of a mountain side track meandering along it’s edge.

Brilliant line, looking forward to a video or two of you’re rolling stock.

Thanks, the rocks are just plonked about to get an idea, we are a long way from Terra Forming the railway. I am working on my loco build ( Llewellyn # 1 in the steam threads) and along with that my involvement with full size heritage railways means it will be a long and slow progress till our trains are running. However I have a couple of local acquaintances that have expressed interest in running over the POR. As soon as the stars and planets align this will happen. We have run a little battery loco around a few times.
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue May 19, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks, the rocks are just planked about to get an idea, we are a long way from Terra Forming the railway. I am working on my loco build ( Llewellyn # 1 in the steam threads) and along with that my involvement with full size heritage railways means it will be a long and slow progress till our trains are running. However I have a couple of local acquaintances that have expressed interest in running over the POR. As soon as the stars and planets align this will happen. We have run a little battery loco around a few times.
It's not a race. Better to take your time and do it once. I am enjoying the progress of your railway and Llewellyn build. A permanent railway is my aim. Loco building is beyond my (virtually non-existant) skills. I am planning to build some modular boards and the nearest I get to building locomotives will be kits and modifying ready built locomotives. Like you I also volunteer on a full sized steam railway too.

Ian
Ian

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Mark 2 Prototype Point actuator. Much better than the Mk1. The M2.5mm screw binds all securely to the sleeper. The crank has a 1.00mm bush in it. A few tweaks to the dimensions and the working ones for the two Orchid Loop points are underway.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:39 am

That is a brilliant idea for the crank base plate locked into the sleeper, I must remember that for the future. I currently only have a couple of actual Peco points with the hollow sleepers but it might be possible to cut a slot in the bottom of a solid sleeper to achieve the same effect.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:31 am

Looks great and as it's brass you could chemically blacken it so it will not suffer paint chips or discolour in the sun.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 pm

You will need to “Patent” that idea….. :roll:

Seriously, that is a well thought out idea and like you say it looks a far more sturdy lever….Brilliant. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:01 am

FWLR wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:45 pm You will need to “Patent” that idea….. :roll:

Seriously, that is a well thought out idea and like you say it looks a far more sturdy lever….Brilliant. :thumbright: :thumbright:
Thanks every one. I like the chemical black idea, I have never done this so I may give it a go for kicks and giggles. I expect the Brass to oxidise under the blackening and our harsh sun and rain will work away on it. It will be interesting to see how it fares.
As for my idea, well I actually was inspired by a photo of some one else who had used a screw and crank on the sleeper. I saved the photo for later reference. I reworked the idea so as to use quality bicycle gear cable casing with its plastic ferral that has a rubber sealing ring in its end, the 1.10mm stainless wire, bought via ebay. I am yet to have the frame installed and all hooked up. It takes just as much or more time thinking it through than making it. The crank ratio is such to get the throws correct. Points are 4.50 -4.60mm and the lever is 8.00mm and to also one has to allow for lost movement. Actually a little bit of over movement so one can elongate the a hole-slot to get the correct amount of movement. The frame end will have a bicycle frame gear adjuster to take up or loosen slack as well. This is all to be inside a Pendle Valley Goods Shed resin kit. The signal boxes are too small for over scale Godzilla hands and to also fit in the battery supply for the LED lamps.

Now I am surprised that in the 16mm world there is not a complete semaphore signalling system on the market for garden railways, considering the range, investment and effort that goes into the other aspects of the scene. I must admit I give some idle thought to this while doing some dull filing etc, but I am flat out with my hobby large and small. (currently doing my steam engine ticket and stuff at the Mary Valley Rattler railway which is soon to start operations again. First trains were down the branch last weekend. ) I would get a tool made for the base and cable stopper to shoot the wax and do these as stainless steel investment castings, 2.5mm thread for the crank pivot and bush. Laser cut the cranks, and produce the little crank bushes. The Shimano gear cable casing is available in a boxed roll, cut to length with casing cutters and the ferral caps are also Shimano. Then the interlocked or non interlocking Lever frame will be the hardest part as Harold at Modratec is trying to slow down. I would make the base so one can reverse it for left and right input wire direction and maybe the base adaptable to fit a servo. The signal kits ? maybe the Pendle Valley offering but I think also an option of a simpler more robust one with LED lamp installed might have value. Also a mass production base with a quick release method of removing the signal from the base is needed. But I can assure you, I will not be the one starting this off unless an investor approached with a lot of gold coin to tempt, bribe me to move from my hobby to an aspect of professional expression.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:33 am

Fascinating idea, but it sounds expensive and I'm not sure how many actual customers you'd get, tbh. I have a suspicion that anyone who would aspire to that level of detail/realism would probably prefer to build their own anyway.
Philip

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:32 am

I like it when you use bicycle parts in your work, it reminds me of my first job as a kid working in a local family bike shop - happy days!