The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:50 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am I'm impressed with the way you've numbered the rocks and marked their relative positions. You've taken the art of "painting by numbers" into landscaping ...... 👍

Rik
A whole new 3D "painting by numbers" :notworthy:

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:27 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am I'm impressed with the way you've numbered the rocks and marked their relative positions.

Yes I noticed that too. :D

The times I've positioned things as I want them and then moved them out to replace later and no way been able to get them back as they should be! Such simple solution, just brilliant.
Philip

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:17 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:26 am I'm impressed with the way you've numbered the rocks and marked their relative positions. You've taken the art of "painting by numbers" into landscaping ...... 👍

Rik
That is because the rotten blighters never seem to go back as intended :cussing: when I lift them out for stuffing mortar in, and also my dim mind becomes confused as a result of lifting them out. :scratch: The chalk helps but I still struggle. :cry:
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 pm

More concrete, more rock, the big rocks are in, which is good as the big rock supply is exhausted. If all goes to plan I may be shoveling a metre or fill and a metre of garden soil when it is delivered tomorrow. Maybe, first lots of gaps and holes to be done.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:17 am

Dazza, though I like the idea of the "loading gauge" on the wagon to ensure heights and widths are sufficient, do the widths take into account the swing of the ends of long wheel base rolling stock, and also their inner overhang whilst traversing curves.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:17 am Dazza, though I like the idea of the "loading gauge" on the wagon to ensure heights and widths are sufficient, do the widths take into account the swing of the ends of long wheel base rolling stock, and also their inner overhang whilst traversing curves.
We hope so
The structures to profile and loading gauge was plotted out min with 750mm radius curves , just for good measure
and with bogie vehicles in mind
then the templates were made
Just for good measure during the terra forming process an additional 5mm minimum is added to the sides and top.
It will be the curve radius that will stop some locos running at the POR

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:36 pm

Remediation work on the old quarry begins soon.
12 hours in some nice welcome cool weather yesterday saw the last of the rock and mortar, the stone bridge is in and three barrows of fill going in.
1 metre of garden soil arrives today, some of it is destined for the old quarry site.
Soil to go in soon and planting will be done in a fortnights time as next week the senior managers are off to Gympie for 4 days of steam operations at the Mary Valley Rattler Railway next weekend.

MAM the potter and senior manager of the POR built this using individual bits of clay and then a wash to pick out the mortar lines. A wee test run of techniques.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:26 am

Nice photo of MAM trying a new technique Dazza. Looks very impressive. What are you thinking of using that for please mate. :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:14 pm

FWLR wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:26 am Nice photo of MAM trying a new technique Dazza. Looks very impressive. What are you thinking of using that for please mate. :thumbright:
MAM wanted to make a building, it might be pub. The buildings are not scale models, more whimsical than to scale and that is the feeling we desire.
More pics soon.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:16 pm

Boss, if you want us to move all this we need an increase in our hourly Beer allocation or we are walking off !

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 pm

"Cracking bridge my dear"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:47 pm

The POR plantings are moving along nicely which pleases the directors on the board. Some of the slower growers are dwarfed by others but with the passage of time they will rise to be quite large and over look the others.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:53 pm

FWLR wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:26 am Nice photo of MAM trying a new technique Dazza. Looks very impressive. What are you thinking of using that for please mate. :thumbright:

MAM says it is a two story pub with Alpine influences that will seat up to 3 punters.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:03 pm

The last large rock is in, sifted soil and mixed many barrow loads and deposited into place.
Planting will begin soon but not just yet, because next weekend we are in Gympie for 4 days of steam operations. MAM will take her paint box, some boards and pencils and camera. I will be lighting up a few times and driving and firing for four days. Living the dream.
So major planting will be mostly around the 8 -9th Oct.
Just the little fun details to do around the railway, however the steps, walking paths and slab with its awning is now the next major project. Then I am back in the Red Room and returning to my model engineering and finish off the loco build.
The signaling and frame for Potters Junction is a project for late next year but most likely 2022.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:07 am

Great looking pub MAM. Is it going to be placed in the space were the bridge is Dazza. :?:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:11 am

Plants are looking great already....

PS Don't know why I have to keep logging in now to reply to a post after reading it when I open the forum from your email notifications.... :scratch:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:12 am

PS I also have to login when I open your mail..... :scratch: :scratch:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:52 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:07 am Great looking pub MAM. Is it going to be placed in the space were the bridge is Dazza. :?:
Most likely, I am happy for MAM is choose the location. She is enjoying the clay building, she like making stuff like that as well as throwing.
We spoke last night of a station for Potters Junction, looked at a few pics to gain inspiration. We have a Pendle Valley kit for the Orchid house loop and that will be easy to lift off, our summers are harsh, I am not sure resin will hold up and the rock and concrete surfaces will get stinking hot.( 40c +) So with a ceramic station at Potters Junction we will leave it out in the weather.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:18 pm

MAM found a plant last night that needed a home, so technically the planting has began at Potters Junction

We have this native grass that grows in tufts and seems to be able to happily grow in oven baked clay and or gravel. It was self sowing around Potters Junction, left over from some many years ago before the house and site renos, so we thought it might do well in the hot and often dry narrow spaces in the rock work, so I dig and relocate and with some water it is already perked up over night.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Work at the POR will again resume as the head grafter has returned from a 4 day sejour at the Mary Valley Rattler.
This video is of the double steam day at the Mary Valley Rattler last Monday. Black loco #967, the plod in the black hat , he fired out and drove home. He managed to not break anything. (Compliments to Kane's Trains for the sharp video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E_aJVu ... ffQpDbpD5o

We double headed out the sheds up to the yard and also into the platform. It has been a while since two C17s have been coupled up in steam.