The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 pm

looking great

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:37 am

Impressive as always. I must admit that the landscaping element of this hobby is one of the attractions for me. Nothing like a bit of digging and concreting to put other things into perspective.

I believe Winston Churchill used to do a bit of bricklaying on his 'days off'.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:02 pm

Slartibartfast who is contracted to do the POR terra forming had asked the directors of the POR for a supply of interesting rock, no doubt influenced by his previous awards for the Norwegian fjords.
Many wanted $100 for a pile of round boring stones, pfftttttttt, then MAM sourced a supply of free rock 20 mins drive away. So on a hot and very humid Sunday morning we investigated.
YAY!
A source of interesting rock was to be had by the tons, it was the mother lode and the supply is limit less.
Three trips in the station wagon and we had moved 900kg of rock.

MAM found what she calls "The Hero Rock", so it was a slog for me to carry it on my own, at least it was down hill, anyhow I am most impressed with it. I am sure it will meet Slartibartfast's approval.
We have a place in mind for this next to where the MVL under arch bridge will be which we will discuss with him.
It will be the foundation rock that the gorge will be built from.

We carried the big rocks and placed them on the wall to save lifting from the ground later.

Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:42 am

Lovely rocks, especially the big one. I envy you having a free source, my line has many fewer rocks than I would like simply because I cannot justify the shipping costs.
Philip

4MT
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by 4MT » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:32 am

Just like to say what an interesting thread enjoying the progress you are making with the garden layout and getting the family involved. Wallace and Grommet seem to be enjoying their foreman roll within the build :lol: will be watching with interest.
Regards

Kai

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:54 am

Hero rockmis a real beauty, can't wait to see how you use. I have used rocks from the woods but usually resort to a wheelbarrow and strange looks from the neighbours.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:24 am

Brilliant craggy rocks at an unbeatable price. They'll look great.

The rocks around my railway are the local sandstone which I have acquired over several years. I bought some (people advertising in the local Ads paper) but the rest I've got through friends (who find them when digging their gardens) or by keeping an eye open when someone locally has some building work done.

For those who don't live in a rocky area, Bob Treat has done some amazing things by casting his own rocks with concrete - https://familygardentrains.com/primer/r ... cliffs.htm

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Recently there was some Potters Orchid Railway construction contracts that was tendered out for some projects and the local "Potters Junction" pottery works was successful with securing the first contract. MAM (Mary Ann Martin) managing director of the "Potters Junction workshops" and her staff have commenced block work and construction for a loading dock that will be located at the "Orchid House" loop siding and station.

The staff deliver materials to the construction platform while the usual quality control supervisors look over progress.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:08 pm

Fantastic! :thumbright:
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:26 pm

The loading dock now awaits a firing in the kiln.

and coaling stage is the next contract underway at the "Potters Junction" Pottery works

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 pm

Great looking structures, what a brilliant method of construction..... attractive and weather resistant.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 am

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 pm Great looking structures, what a brilliant method of construction..... attractive and weather resistant.
Thanks
with 40 degree heat, crashing branches in storms, down pours and then drought, a few floods, we hope so.
MAM is using up some clay she does not like throwing with, so a few railway structures has her interest.
The kiln that will fire the clay lives in the small brick building alongside "Potters Junction"
As I have mentioned before, we want a good looking railway that operates, but we will not be a slave to super detail

Stop the press, a large parcel has just arrived from http://www.pendlevalleyworkshop.co.uk/page9.htm
I will wait till MAM gets home, she likes opening parcels

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:06 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 am

Stop the press, a large parcel has just arrived from http://www.pendlevalleyworkshop.co.uk/page9.htm
Hmmm... if that page link is to be believed you have a large parcel of....GLUES??? :D :D
Philip

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am

philipy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:06 am
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 am

Hmmm... if that page link is to be believed you have a large parcel of....GLUES??? :D :D
Whoops :oops: That is a lot of sniffing :drunken: :color:
it was three buildings and odds and ends

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:55 pm

"What's in here from Pendle Valley ?"

MAM loves a parcel

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Oooo! you are a tease..... actually I think MAM is giving the sniffing check first.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:58 pm

The S and T department consider a sample semaphore kit and this one they consider promising. They have one more kit to consider that is yet to arrive. Then they will give their final report to the POR board of directors of which firm they suggest to award the POR signal contract to.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:08 pm

That was a big box for one signal! :shock:
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:41 pm

MAM and staff are working on the the POR contracts, applying glazes to give a more correct "Grimy" appearance.
This one has the perfect to my eye engine shed grime colour. However after the yet to done firing it is expected to lighten up. All is a bit of an experiment and a learning process with MAM and the Pottery aspect of her expression.

a coal pile will be in here

Prototype water tank base.

MAM gave the stone tread steps of the loading dock the worn appearance

As for the location of the other items in the box, the fork lift driver has misplaced them in the POR stores warehouse, but these items are bound to reveals themselves in the weeks and months to come.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:41 am

Loving it - be really interesting to see how they come out of the kiln - the detailing on the steps is particularly good
Where did I put that uncoupler?