The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by FWLR » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:05 am

Brilliant photos. :thumbright:
I love them all, but the ones with the locos in steam are my favourites.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:35 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:27 am You should be very pleased at the results of all your hard work, these pictures say it all, for me. I particularly like the third piccy down, heading in to the tunnel, and of course trains on bridges always look superb for some reason! :D
Yes and thanks. It was an intense 6 months on the terra forming, I need a break and when winter arrives and it the motivation levels are present we will get onto more details, buildings, the yard at potters junction and the signals. The signals and making the interlocked frame will be a big job. This time I am making the frame as Harold at Modratec has stopped making them, he supplies one the drawings and design. I made some parts for him last summer so I have some fixtures here to ease the chore but at the moment I want to get back to my coal fire loco build.
We have not yet had time to chase good pictures. Too busy, but soon. I did often sit with a glass of Red, contemplating things, letting thoughts drift in, pondering scenic imaginations and solutions would arrive and some creativity would develop as the evening darkness descended. This is important, just sit, no real thoughts or plans and let stuff arrive. Then things and ideas arrive and develop. I like that. The recent pictures were the work of Hugh, who we met for the first time on Saturday and he has been itching to run his loco and rolling stock at the POR for the last 12 months but we held back till it looked reasonable and most importantly we had some hard paths in place or it becomes very muddy. We scraped in just in time for this Summer. In the next life and if the budget would allow, I would love to make another garden railway, with all the lessons learnt, longer around the property run, 300mm higher than current from ground level, bigger hills, a few more bridges, sizable pond with fish and lilies etc, longer loops and sidings and a straight through run into a shed workshop shed for carriage stock shed and locos. However an empire is not what it is about, it is about social fun and projects with others.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:48 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:05 am Brilliant photos. :thumbright:
I love them all, but the ones with the locos in steam are my favourites.
The POR has only one steamable loco and its cab tank work and RD is not complete. (runs nicely at a realistic speed unattended for 30 mins) Meanwhile until at least another 2 years when perhaps the coal fire loco will be readyfor delivery from the Llewellyn Loco works red room workshops, so management are contemplating a ready to run RH Fowler with a Slomo fitted. Captain Plod would like to have a Taliesin but a Slomo cannot be fitted. Slow speeds and shunting is very much desired.
Oh well, just one garden railway in one's lifetime is all that can be fitted in this time around.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:17 pm

Captain Plod will plead guilty of encouraging and assisting with this. "Your Honour, I was inspired by photos of the Southgate Light Railway's Christmas lights, I blame Rob and Nicki for this frivolity. 🙂

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:45 am

Very festive. I think Captain Plod should be congratulated not prosecuted! :lol:
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:25 am

Very festive and just needs Santa now to bring a present for both of you...
:santa: :santa:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:25 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:45 am Very festive. I think Captain Plod should be congratulated not prosecuted! :lol:
Plod persecutes himself.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:27 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:25 am Very festive and just needs Santa now to bring a present for both of you...
:santa: :santa:
The big joy for MAM and myself is the joy on the faces of others. The kids and parents, visitors from the street and neighbours Christmas parties calling in. That is fun.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:36 am

Glad you had a brilliant Christmas. Your'e correct in what you say about bringing joy to others Dazza, you do that in bounds.... :thumbright: :thumbright:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Those pesky cows are out again at the Orchid House loop.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:21 pm

MAM, who is the Potters Orchid Railway's Chair Person is mightily pleased with her work on the 2021 Christmas lights test train.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:26 pm

Meanwhile Captain plod was on S&T duties, sorting out the spaghetti mess of the signal wires at the Orchid House Loop. Plod reports he is most pleased with the result of the brass bus bars he made and the battery box.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:29 pm

"The board is off Gov, let her rip"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:32 pm

Mama and calf are out again. I hope that farmer mends the fences soon.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:37 pm

Plod submits proof the signals work at the Orchid House Loop and are fully interlocked. (unhook the junction points and trains simply trail through for unattended continuous running)

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:39 pm

Servicing locos is fraught with peril. Amazing what lives in the drains at the Loop.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:51 pm

FWLR wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:36 am Glad you had a brilliant Christmas. Your'e correct in what you say about bringing joy to others Dazza, you do that in bounds.... :thumbright: :thumbright:
Thanks Rod, we are doing our best to enjoy the fun as much as we can after the labour of winter past and the track laying three years ago. The vision, one must keep the vision and be patient and keep to the vision. In the next life, the lessons learnt from this build would be applied and we would love a longer run for more scenery and varied scenery. Rolling hills, river/viaduct then mountainous rock and gorge/bridge, also a bit higher and longer loops/sidings and a sizeable visitor's steaming bay area and rolling stock yard. Also a through run into the rolling stock storage shed which would be a room attached to the workshop (Red Room Mark 2) Now that is a dream, not a vision, the POR will be the only garden railway we will be making before I push up the daisies.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:39 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:39 pm Servicing locos is fraught with peril.

I guess Beryl (the peril) is not on your favoured visitor list. Is she one to be avoided at all costs?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:26 pm

And I thought our jackdaws were a nuisance..............! :shock:

CFLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:04 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:39 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:39 pm Servicing locos is fraught with peril.

I guess Beryl (the peril) is not on your favoured visitor list. Is she one to be avoided at all costs?
No, harmless. A bite may give irritation but you would have to try hard to get bitten.