The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:19 am

The first photo of MAM's garden is looking beautiful and so much in keeping for your line.
will you ask MAM if the little tree in the pot in the second photo be getting planted in the ground or is it one of those that needs to be kept contained please Dazza. Also what is it's name....

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:10 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:19 am The first photo of MAM's garden is looking beautiful and so much in keeping for your line.
will you ask MAM if the little tree in the pot in the second photo be getting planted in the ground or is it one of those that needs to be kept contained please Dazza. Also what is it's name....
"Clerodendrum" MAM thinks it will grow into a tree unless potted This Sunday just past she gave it a Bonsai type trim with her clippers. The Bonsai pockets are yet to be tidied up some how. We are yet to give that more thought.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:17 am

Will you thank MAM please for me Dazza.
I did a little bit of searching and this is one of those trees.

BC1C629E-6B37-4ECD-9A45-78E219F9A2D4_4_5005_c.jpeg
BC1C629E-6B37-4ECD-9A45-78E219F9A2D4_4_5005_c.jpeg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
They originally come from Africa and Asia. This one though is called,

common names
harlequin glorybower

Family
Lamiaceae

Genus
Clerodendrum can be deciduous or evergreen shrubs, trees or climbers, with simple, often unpleasantly scented, leaves and panicles of usually fragrant salver-shaped flowers with prominent stamens, followed by small berries

Details
C. trichotomum is a deciduous large shrub or small tree with variable simple leaves, larger on young plants, the lower ones sometimes deeply two- ot three-lobed towards the apex. Fragrant flowers are produced from midsummer to autumn in long-stalked cymes from the axils of the upper leaves. Corolla white, in a reddish calyx, which deepens in colour as the fruits ripen in autumn. Berries bright blue at first, ultimately black, contrasting with the red calyces

Plant range
Japan

Thanks again Dazza.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:48 pm

Rod, I suppose that must be it. I just wrote what was on the label in the pot. We have noticed quite a variety in plants that are supposed to be the same from different nurseries.
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:28 pm

Rod, MAM has just passed by on her way to work. I showed her your research results, She says, our plant here and the plants you have researched do not line up. Leaf size etc. She says she is undertaking more research today and will get back to you.
Stay tuned.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:59 am

Thanks Dazza.

My search did come up with so many variables on it. Plants do tend to have a very large genus....Is that the correct word....

There is an App that we use to identify plants and other greenery...It's a good app and free...

Candide is the name of it. Although it's good, it's not infallible, but it does point you in the right direction.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:48 pm

FWLR wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:59 am Thanks Dazza.

My search did come up with so many variables on it. Plants do tend to have a very large genus....Is that the correct word....

There is an App that we use to identify plants and other greenery...It's a good app and free...

Candide is the name of it. Although it's good, it's not infallible, but it does point you in the right direction.
MAM thinks it is
clerodendrum heterophyllum

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am

May need to wait and see if it blossoms Dazza, then it maybe more identifiable...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:18 pm

FWLR wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:30 am May need to wait and see if it blossoms Dazza, then it maybe more identifiable...
Will do, MAM actually contacted the Bonsai community here and they confirmed it as clerodendrum heterophyllum, she also got bombarded with advice on how to grow it better and it should be flowering etc .

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:37 am

Thats the trouble Dazza when people think you have loads of knowledge on something, they tend to ask lots of questions. They could look it up online if they know the name of something.......Like I did... :oops: :roll:

But I didn't know did I....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a brilliant forum this is though. We can talk about almost anything and we get friendly positive replies...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:16 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:37 am Thats the trouble Dazza when people think you have loads of knowledge on something, they tend to ask lots of questions. They could look it up online if they know the name of something.......Like I did... :oops: :roll:

But I didn't know did I....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a brilliant forum this is though. We can talk about almost anything and we get friendly positive replies...
Forums are about sharing, asking and did I mentions sharing. :thumbup:

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:17 pm

The "Potters Orchid Railway" board of directors inspected the mock up of the intended awning over the main smelly cheese and wine consumption location, just to get a feel of what it may look like.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:25 pm

While watering the plantings this morning Captain Plod contemplated track ballasting and the final push to complete Potters Junction yard next winter.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:54 pm

A colourful feast for the eyes, the planting is now looking so good it will be a real pleasure to sit and smell the cheese!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:54 pm A colourful feast for the eyes, the planting is now looking so good it will be a real pleasure to sit and smell the cheese!
Thanks Peter, shame you cannot visit.I am going to let the railway details sit for a while during the hot weather, run some evenings and work in the Red Room work shop on the loco build. Loco build is the project concentration for the next 4- 6 months.
Take care over there.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:54 pm A colourful feast for the eyes, the planting is now looking so good it will be a real pleasure to sit and smell the cheese!
Thanks Peter, shame you cannot visit.

I do have a cousin in Aus. so don't count me out!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:29 am

Peter Butler wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:01 pm
Thanks Peter, shame you cannot visit.

I do have a cousin in Aus. so don't count me out!

That would be super, by all means rock on in. That would be terrific, however it may be a few years, maybe as many as 4-6 years before international tourism occurs again.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 am

The planting is settling down beautifully and I love the way that some of the different coloured clumps are starting to join up. Once the water starts running as well ( not to mention the trains of course :lol: ), it will be a real joy all round.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:21 am

Looking fantastic Dazza. Every time you post photos the foliage getting better and better. You and MAM should be very proud...I know Anne and I would be..

Take care yourself Dazza and MAM... :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:28 am

Wow! A feast for the eyes. Congratulations to MAM on the planting! I see the awning I'd taking shape 👍

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube