The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:44 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:05 am Coming up extremely well, that is. Few examples of a first railway come up that well, or at the very least mine certainly didn't. I must agree on the workshop front - It ought be clean, tidy and well-organised at all times. Will have to return to this thread to take notes, when I get to build my own workshop in a couple of years..
That I-beam running overhead, I presume is to facilitate the future 5" work?
The I-beam is for 5" and boilers and it was used to lift the mill and lathe off the crates or off the ute out side. The beam runs outside to the carport. One can unload and load under cover, rain or sun, night or day.
For more pics of the workshop and stuff going go here

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=600

and or here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 076/page1
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:03 pm

The first Cactus planted in the POR Cactus garden flowered yesterday, pic taken early in the morning, by sundown it was gone. There are more buds on their way.

The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 am

That is a really beautiful flower. Is it only a one day flower then Dazza...

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:12 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:25 am That is a really beautiful flower. Is it only a one day flower then Dazza...
Yes, and the pop open at night. There a few more buds appearing. You can also see a little stingless native honey bee on the flower.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:21 am

I did see an insect Dazza, but of course had no idea what is called. Shame such a beautiful flower shows for only one day.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:42 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:44 am The I-beam is for 5" and boilers and it was used to lift the mill and lathe off the crates or off the ute out side. The beam runs outside to the carport. One can unload and load under cover, rain or sun, night or day.
For more pics of the workshop and stuff going go here

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopi ... &start=600

and or here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyn ... 076/page1
Very well thought-out setup. Thanks for the photo links, a lot of interesting stuff I'd forgotten about; Will have to go back to the beginning of your loco build thread and catch myself up again. Here's hoping you don't lose any plants to the impending doom of Summer..
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:31 pm

Finally the slabs and path

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:25 am

That looks to be a fine piece of concreting!
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 am

You sure do work hard Dazza.... :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:38 am

Perfectly laid. Just trying to figure out what the brackets are for...... seating, bike racks, fencing, advertising hoardings?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:54 am

ge_rik wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:38 am Perfectly laid. Just trying to figure out what the brackets are for...... seating, bike racks, fencing, advertising hoardings?

Rik
And the plank of wood :)

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:49 pm

FWLR wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 am You sure do work hard Dazza.... :thumbright:

The secret to the good looking concrete is that I was not involved. That is a project I cannot do, my 74 year old neighbour and his son are builders and they did it and also our past house renovations which included the Red Room workshop. (Llewellyn Locomotive Works)
philipy wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:25 am That looks to be a fine piece of concreting!
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:50 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:54 am
ge_rik wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:38 am Perfectly laid. Just trying to figure out what the brackets are for...... seating, bike racks, fencing, advertising hoardings?

Rik
And the plank of wood :)
It is a drain but with tape covering the grate so it looks like wood. This is for the the water fall and pond when it over flows in heavy rain.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:53 pm

Rik
The brackets are for the awning posts that are to come some day. We have termites and it is best to separate timber from the ground and also the post never rots out.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:40 pm

The head horticulturist of the POR (MAM) has done her morning inspection and all is going to plan so far. Only a couple have gone toes up.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:19 am

The first photo of MAM's garden is looking beautiful and so much in keeping for your line.
will you ask MAM if the little tree in the pot in the second photo be getting planted in the ground or is it one of those that needs to be kept contained please Dazza. Also what is it's name....

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:10 pm

FWLR wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:19 am The first photo of MAM's garden is looking beautiful and so much in keeping for your line.
will you ask MAM if the little tree in the pot in the second photo be getting planted in the ground or is it one of those that needs to be kept contained please Dazza. Also what is it's name....
"Clerodendrum" MAM thinks it will grow into a tree unless potted This Sunday just past she gave it a Bonsai type trim with her clippers. The Bonsai pockets are yet to be tidied up some how. We are yet to give that more thought.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:17 am

Will you thank MAM please for me Dazza.
I did a little bit of searching and this is one of those trees.

BC1C629E-6B37-4ECD-9A45-78E219F9A2D4_4_5005_c.jpeg
BC1C629E-6B37-4ECD-9A45-78E219F9A2D4_4_5005_c.jpeg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 3769 times
They originally come from Africa and Asia. This one though is called,

common names
harlequin glorybower

Family
Lamiaceae

Genus
Clerodendrum can be deciduous or evergreen shrubs, trees or climbers, with simple, often unpleasantly scented, leaves and panicles of usually fragrant salver-shaped flowers with prominent stamens, followed by small berries

Details
C. trichotomum is a deciduous large shrub or small tree with variable simple leaves, larger on young plants, the lower ones sometimes deeply two- ot three-lobed towards the apex. Fragrant flowers are produced from midsummer to autumn in long-stalked cymes from the axils of the upper leaves. Corolla white, in a reddish calyx, which deepens in colour as the fruits ripen in autumn. Berries bright blue at first, ultimately black, contrasting with the red calyces

Plant range
Japan

Thanks again Dazza.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:48 pm

Rod, I suppose that must be it. I just wrote what was on the label in the pot. We have noticed quite a variety in plants that are supposed to be the same from different nurseries.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:28 pm

Rod, MAM has just passed by on her way to work. I showed her your research results, She says, our plant here and the plants you have researched do not line up. Leaf size etc. She says she is undertaking more research today and will get back to you.
Stay tuned.