The Potters Orchid Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Potters Orchid Railway

Post by ge_rik » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:29 pm

Looks like a really great weekend. I should keep quiet about your level of hospitality - we'll all be inviting ourselves........

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:47 pm

FWLR wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:40 am You certainly know how to hold a steam up Dazza. You and MAM should be really proud for giving such hospitality. A two day overnight steam up would be dream to have. The young lads looked really wide eyed with wonder at those locos too.

Have you thought about having a young peoples day, with perhaps a short course on building a kit or two. I have found that my own grandkids ask if they can build a kit when they visit sometimes. (I don't always have those ready to build kits now, mainly because I scratch build mainly now.) They then get to run them behind their own little battery powered locos. They really do enjoy their time with our railway line.

I have not given that thought yet. We had the lads driving a battery loco and shunting in the yard.
MAM is pondering our own electric loco for the young visitors to get to grips with it all and then move them onto steam.
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:38 pm

9th September 2020

ImageIMG_3070 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3069 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3061 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

9th September 2021. Some new annuals plonked in for Spring

ImageIMG_6458 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6457 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6459 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

philipy

Post by philipy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:50 pm

Totally amazing difference since this time last year. Well done to both of you.

I understand, of course, but it seems very odd to me when you say annuals plonked in for spring! :D
Philip

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:31 pm

philipy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:50 pm Totally amazing difference since this time last year. Well done to both of you.

I understand, of course, but it seems very odd to me when you say annuals plonked in for spring! :D
Thankyou
One day the track will be lifted, the bed cleaned, track back down and ballast applied. Potters Junction finished off, details to add but who knows when, full steam on the loco build at the moment. But heck it is fun.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:38 pm
ImageIMG_6458 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Wow!!! That's fantastic!

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:12 am

I agree. I think most of the members love seeing you and MAM's brilliant line.

It is fun for us too... :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:05 am

Great to see it planted up, Dazza

Rik
------------------------

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:24 pm

These little fellas only opens in full sunlight.

ImageIMG_6551 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:52 pm

Spring is here. The vegetation scissors will be out this weekend at the Potters Orchid Railway. It is a garden with a railway after all. Not a railway in a garden.That is the vision to be eventually realised.

ImageIMG_6596 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6582 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6597 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6595 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6588 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6593 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:42 pm

A good friend was over for the day of mucking about in the Red Room and then before he went home we ran a double header.

ImageIMG_6856 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

MAM's yet to be painted loco is a marvelous performer, shunting can not be done more realistically.

ImageIMG_6857 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

My Taliesin which is an out of the box Roundhouse loco is not quite right. I am going to pull it down and have a look at the timing. It is OK but I think it could be better.
We do not allow reenactments of Stoke Bank in 1938 here. The Potters Orchid Railway has not progressed but for some planting, all energy is being devoted to the loco build.

ImageIMG_6845 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6860 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:06 am

Some lovely pictures there Dazza. I wish you weren't so far away!
Philip

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:20 pm

philipy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:06 am Some lovely pictures there Dazza. I wish you weren't so far away!

Thanks. The value to the internet is we can still share.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:52 pm

Great pictures. Keep 'em coming!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:30 am

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:20 pm
philipy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:06 am Some lovely pictures there Dazza. I wish you weren't so far away!

Thanks. The value to the internet is we can still share.
:thumbup:

Rik
------------------------

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:48 pm

Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:42 pm We do not allow reenactments of Stoke Bank in 1938 here.
Now there's a golden rule. :thumbleft: Line's looking great. I know you're not a fine-scale modeller, but those small-leaved plants really do lend the line a scale atmosphere, it's brilliant.
Hope adjusting Talesin's timing doesn't become one of those rabbit-hole jobs, all too easy to fall down those.. :roll:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:48 pm

Old Man Aaron wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:48 pm
Hydrostatic Dazza wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:42 pm We do not allow reenactments of Stoke Bank in 1938 here.
Now there's a golden rule. :thumbleft: Line's looking great. I know you're not a fine-scale modeller, but those small-leaved plants really do lend the line a scale atmosphere, it's brilliant.
Hope adjusting Talesin's timing doesn't become one of those rabbit-hole jobs, all too easy to fall down those.. :roll:

Thanks, one day we will ballast the track, we will have buildings (Kits are on the shelf waiting along with some Brandbright coach kits. I am not going to bother with Taliesin till after the summer, when I have less projects on my plate which is never.....which includes the Slomo wagaon to have behind Taliesin. I have the mech but not the time yet to make. I am off to start making a small tube/pipe bender which is published in ME magazine some years ago.

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Hello Comrades and friends, Weather permitting, Mary Ann and I are planning an afternoon and evening of live steam running at the Potters Orchid Railway 11th December starting after lunch, (around 1:00) and into the evening with possible continuation the morning of the 12th. Please note the railway is the true garden railway religion of 32mm gauge. There will be the usual “mandatory“ evening run before and after dinner Saturday evening which is most enjoyable so have your head lights and tail lamps ready and operational. At the last run evening we had a 5.4 meter (17” 9”) long train hanging on the hook of 4 working steam engines which was terrific fun. For those who wish to enjoy your favourite beverages there are a couple camp beds available and or bring your swag and you are most welcome to claim some floor space. The usual full cooked breakfast will be made available for the over-night guests. For the hardy you are welcome to the Sunday morning post breakfast running session starting around 9am.
We also plan to have run days and Christmas eve through to 30th December which will follow the theme of “simply turn up and we will run trains”. From Christmas eve the railway’s Christmas railway lights will be switched on and Mary Ann’s Christmas train will be circulating.
We all hope to catch up, renew old friendship and create new ones. If you have children, grandchildren or any strays, please feel free to bring them along.
Please note, that this year the New Year’s Eve run day/evening is off as I am rostered on for an early New Year’s Day to crew a full size steam stream at the Mary Valley Rattler.

Please call or email me with your expression of interest. Stay safe and have fun.
darrell@llewellynbikes.com

ImageIMG_6856 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:32 pm

There is a chap carrying a concerned look on his face wandering about the Potters Orchid Railway. The local farmer's pesky cows that seem to roam all over the Orchid House Loop are not too keen on the vibe emanating from this chap.The rumour going around the pub last Friday night is that his name is Mr Spectre, from the UK, he is a railway inspector/investigator and while he is in the land down under he is doing contract work for ONRSR. (Office of National Rail Safety Regulator)
A lot more to this story is to come in the near future. Stay tuned.

ImageIMG_7629 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr
Last edited by Hydrostatic Dazza on Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:48 pm

Nice start Dazza.

I'm a wee bit concerned though. We know he has on previous inspections been known to, err, shall we say " Over imbibe", and there is your multi-day Christmas bash coming up......!
Philip