The Ivy Line

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
dave3054
Cleaner
Cleaner

The Ivy Line

Post by dave3054 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Hi All
Being quite new to the forum I didn't want to outstay my welcome in the introduction section so I will bore you all here instead. :D
I have been building an oo gauge garden railway for just over a year and is on going. It consists of two main circuits, the outer is wired in heavy duty feeders for use with my Hornby live steam Dwight D Eisenhower A4. All the other tracks are DCC. I can switch the outer live steam track to the rest for DCC working. Points and semaphore signals are operated by cable and lever frames. I will post pics and more info later.
My new project, The Ivy Line, is an o gauge railway using the MSS cast metal track mounted on deck boards. I have a Mamod MKlll gas fired steam loco and some freight wagons. I intend to evolve the layout into a small industrial railway.
Not that I am a railway fanatic in any way but I also have a shed layout for when the weather closes in. Well a bloke needs a hobby. :lol:

Dave

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: The Ivy Line

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:07 am

Look forward to the pictures Dave, small industrial suits me (as does a bit of 4mm)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 am

We like all scales here so tell us about about all your railways please.

I remember when the Hornby live steam was released, I was amazed.

dave3054
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dave3054 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi All
Nice dry day today so I took the oppertunity to test my new home built Kerr Stewart loco. I had to upgrade the battery to a 3 cell lipo to give her a bit more oomph in the pulling department.
Ive installed RC trains radio kit and a £12 sound board from ebay. It sounds a bit basic but not at all bad.
my SK biuld 1.jpg
my SK biuld 1.jpg (14.21 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
Construction of the body work.
KS complete 1.jpg
KS complete 1.jpg (25.88 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
Up and running on the Ivy line.
Ivy line 4.jpg
Ivy line 4.jpg (25.07 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
The Ivy line 1.jpg
The Ivy line 1.jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
This is the site before the railway took over.
The Ivy line site 1.jpg
The Ivy line site 1.jpg (29.11 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
The line so far, I am going to extend the loop through the shrubs on the left when funds allow.

But for now I will just enjoy this new gigantic (for me) size of model railwaying.

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Hi Dave this looks promising your railway looks a nice height to work with too :D We have come over to 16mm from N gauge so everything is still huge in comparison :D But its lovely to work with i expect your going through the same things we did in january and wondering why you had not discovered this earlier :lol:
Good luck with expansion
Steph :D
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊