Fairy Wood Light Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway

Post by FWLR » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi Ian

I do have IPA, so when I get the paint I will try some of it.

Put your photos on if you like, it’s no problem.

Thanks again for your information. :thumbright: :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway (Update Some Rolling Stock)

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:19 am

Did a few kits while I was poorly these last couple of months, not brilliant but Anne is happy with them. I like the Brake van, with the lights I fitted, you can’t see the red colour of the lamp, think it’s a camera thing, but they do improve the van.The roof is plasti-card with kitchen roll laid on with neat PVA, it goes all crinkle like tar as been laid on it. The body lifts off to get too the battery, not to happy with the paint work, I had to brush it, because Anne was insistent that I wasn’t to go to the shed while I had that flipping virus.

Anyway here they are.
DSCN3286.JPG
DSCN3286.JPG (480.62 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3287.JPG
DSCN3287.JPG (479.46 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3288.JPG
DSCN3288.JPG (479.4 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3289.JPG
DSCN3289.JPG (472.16 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3290.JPG
DSCN3290.JPG (480.37 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3291.JPG
DSCN3291.JPG (468.13 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3292.JPG
DSCN3292.JPG (466.83 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3293.JPG
DSCN3293.JPG (441.88 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3294.JPG
DSCN3294.JPG (444.52 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3295.JPG
DSCN3295.JPG (489.88 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3297.jpg
DSCN3297.jpg (498.9 KiB) Viewed 7529 times
DSCN3298.JPG
DSCN3298.JPG (488.65 KiB) Viewed 7529 times

The first two are Anne’s slate wagons that she wants to use has a static scene for her little slate mine, I do have a small flat wagon that I intend to convert to a little engine, that will have no working motor.
But that is a few weeks off yet, got others things to do, like sort the shed out with the damp issue when it gets a bit drier and do some more on the line, lots of little jobs that keep on coming…..lol. Oh and get some people, then the youngest Granddaughter will be happy there are some in the coaches and wagons…..

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:34 am

By the way this was going onto the line that was xmas present off one of the kids, but is mysteriously ended up here on Anne’s Fairy Garden :scratch: :scratch:
DSCN3285.JPG
DSCN3285.JPG (486.46 KiB) Viewed 7528 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Fairy Wood Light Railway (Another Update)

Post by FWLR » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:00 am

Read on the forum about a company's quick posting, well I ordered this from Phoenix Paints, Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:26 am and I got it Thursday at 10.18am, hows that for quick.
DSCN3302.JPG
DSCN3302.JPG (474.48 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
Brilliant I think. :thumbright: :thumbright:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:00 pm

Tidy builds there Rod and nice to see a consistent colour scheme.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:09 pm

With Rod's permission, here are my pictures and some background of the repainted dome for my Lady Anne.

Most locos have a painted dome so I wanted to repaint mine in body colour. I also wanted a change of tank fillers which were also to be in the body colour. I contacted Roundhouse to ascertain the paint code/shade. (current models paint codes are now on their web site). When I explained my aim I was advised that as mine was an older model (2005 build) the paint used then was Rover Damask Red. Also as my dome was a polished one they suggested an unpolished dome was more suitable for painting. I purchased an unpolished dome from Roundhouse, and some tank fillers from Swift Sixteen.

I bought from my local Halfords the appropriate paint. I suppose any car paint supplier can supply the paint. Halfords is an acrylic formulation in a spray can. Red's can be translucent. I tried first on some scrap metal using black etch primer, but felt the colour not quite right, being a little too dark. A second attempt using grey primer was about right.

So the dome and tank fillers were sprayed accordingly. Two light coats of the final body colour. I will add a varnish in a day or two. The body is only placed on the loco for the pictures as there is a little more work to be completed.

I may also paint the boiler bands and handrails, but I haven't yet decided.

Painting1.jpg
Painting1.jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
Lady Anne with a polished brass dome
Brass.jpg
Brass.jpg (62.83 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
Lady Anne with a painted dome
Painted.jpg
Painted.jpg (61.74 KiB) Viewed 7342 times
Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:36 am

bazzer42 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:00 pm Tidy builds there Rod and nice to see a consistent colour scheme.
Thanks Derek, I wasn’t to please with not having to go into the shed from orders of the CEO, but still. I want to try and keep the colours the same for two reasons, (1) It keeps the rolling stock easier to keep it recognisable to others, and (2) I am a bit lazy, so I have done a batch of the same colour in bigger pots……………

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:43 am

No problem Ian with posting on here.

I do like both of your Lady Anne dome’s and I think the painted dome is very nice and clean, but I also like a bit of brass, so for me I would keep the boiler and handrails brass. But it’s your engine Ian and you do what please’s you mate, they both look great to me.

And thank you Ian for posting and showing me and the rest of the members how you achieved your match, it seems like there is a big difference in paint hues between Roundhouse and other company’s paint’s….

Keep on posting on here if you like by the way…. :thumbright: :thumbright:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:48 am

Thank you Rod,

I'll only post on your (or anyone else's) thread if relevant. I don't want to upset the mods or anyone. Lol.

Painting is a complex subject,which is possibly why a lot of people don't attempt it, or end up with disastrous results. I'm happy to pass on my limited knowledge and experience if it helps.

I was undecided about painting my dome originally. When cleaned the brass looks lovely. I have a polished brass dome and a painted dome now so I can ring the changes depending on my mood.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:40 am

Hi Ian,

That’s good to have two domes, may well look for another myself.

By the way Ian, did I mention I love your Lady Anne. She is on mt list for my next Live steam….

Got to get one for my CEO…(Anne)… :lol: :lol:

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:46 pm

FWLR wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:54 am This is George doing some Airbrushing on the sails for the Windmill, it was the 1st time he had done anything like that before, he is a natural…

That's nice; good training for kids, but be careful, that mask is insufficient to protect him from inhaling aerosol particles, a more sophisticated mask with filters is better.

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:05 pm

FWLR wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:40 am Hi Ian,

That’s good to have two domes, may well look for another myself.

By the way Ian, did I mention I love your Lady Anne. She is on mt list for my next Live steam….

Got to get one for my CEO…(Anne)… :lol: :lol:
Thank you Rod,

I'm sure Roundhouse would sell you a dome as a spare.

She's got a few mods over the standard Lady Anne. Nothing revolutionary, more appearance related.

She has the dummy union link and combination lever. buffer beam overlay, chuff pipe, Locoworks running boards, a vacuum pipe on the front buffer beam and a Chuffed to Bits top up filler under the dome. I've got more Locoworks parts to add yet so still a work in progress.

I'm pleased with her. I'm considering getting a second Lady Anne. Especially now I have two grandchildren. My Lady Anne is named after my Granddaughter so a second one would be named after my Grandson. However there are a lot excellent loco's now available and I really do need somewhere to run them when I get the urge.

Ian
Ian

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 07, 2018 6:37 am

I didn’t know weather to put this on this thread or my Fairy Wood thread so I am putting it on both. :thumbleft:

Here is a video of a friend Ted Avery’s RH Alco.

It was a happy and also a sad day for us, the sun was shinning :sunny: :sunny: and the conversations where flowing, we had completely lost all sense of time. Will miss this for sometime…… :( :(

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon May 07, 2018 9:01 am

Hi Rod
For some reason, I've not seen the rolling stock pix until now. I seem to keep missing out on new posts somehow, maybe it's because I access the forum on two diiferent computers.

Those additions to your rolling stock look spot-on. Be interested to see them in action on your line (old or new).

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 07, 2018 9:30 am

Thanks Rik, but those additions are not mine sadly. They are a friends from Cleveleys, Ted Avery, who came yesterday with his good wife Kath for a steam up. The time just rolled on with the great weather :sunny: :sunny: It was late when they left. It was a brilliant day. One of the coaches kept on derailing at the some part of the line no matter how slow we ran them. Ted said it was properly why the previous owner sold them. They are double Bogie wheels, but it didn’t stop us from having a great day. I did get Anne’s Tram out also with her new name plate on her.

She was testing me when she suddenly sped up coming into the New Station :lol: :lol: