The Selby Granite Tramway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: The Selby Granite Tramway

Post by markoteal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:21 am

ge_rik wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:06 pm Looks like an interesting layout - plenty of different levels. Be interested to see more.

Rik
Looks good and big - agree with Rik - good to see more - any chance you can pop a plan of the line on here - I always find it useful to be able to pics into context about where we are on the line ;)
Where did I put that uncoupler?

cooltrain
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by cooltrain » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi folks,
thanks for the many great responses. I love having a community of people to share my railway with. Unfortunately there aren't many people of generation Z, like myself, who enjoy a cup of tea and running tiny trains around in circles. It's great to get some feedback and ideas from other people.

I have decided to suck it up and spend some money on Tenmile point levers rather than make my own. But I will have a go at making some in the future. Thanks for the suggestions Graeme and Jim. I will remember them for when I do get round to making point levers.

All went well today at my friends house. We had his new 'Silver Lady' and my 'Billy' (George) running around. I got some video which I will edit and upload this weekend, I also found some video of my 'Alfie' running which I will also get uploaded.

Here are the photos from my friends railway today:
IMG_4786.JPG
IMG_4786.JPG (38.69 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
Above: 'George' is seen raising steam outside the shed. Below: 'Silver Lady' is seen taking coal at the coal stage.
IMG_4788.JPG
IMG_4788.JPG (46.93 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
IMG_4793.JPG
IMG_4793.JPG (42.62 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
IMG_4795.JPG
IMG_4795.JPG (41.82 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
Above and below: The bridges on this railway have all been scratch built. As you can see there are a lot of them! The railway took about 18 months to build.
IMG_4796.JPG
IMG_4796.JPG (46.98 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
IMG_4798.JPG
IMG_4798.JPG (45.66 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
Above: Ready to go! George's safety valves have just lifted and his crew are ready to take the loco out. Below: 'Silver Lady' and 'George' wait to depart with their trains.
IMG_4801.JPG
IMG_4801.JPG (43.02 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
Below: Back at base. The locos cool down outside the shed after a few laps around the railway.
IMG_4819.JPG
IMG_4819.JPG (46.24 KiB) Viewed 6489 times
Hope you all enjoyed.
Thanks,

Ronan.
"So what's yer name?" asked the driver.
"Charlie, sir."
"I don't address my firemen by their Christian names, son. Give me your surname."
"Darling, sir."
"Okay, Charlie, start shoveling."

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Nice pictures.
The rain makes it look like darkest Wales.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:38 pm

The SL looks good in that colour (FR Victorian Maroon I believe?). Mine is just 'Maroon' but looks red in bright sunshine.

cooltrain
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by cooltrain » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:33 am

Never fear, I'm still here! ;)

Sorry for the lack of any update on my tramway over the past few months. Not a lot of work has occurred on the line due to me being occupied with volunteer commitments on real railways (somehow I manage to go to school and find time to volunteer at 4 railways!).

Some work has been going on in the background with planning of my rolling stock fleet. As well as the overhaul of my RH Billy.

Expect some more detailed reports soon with photos!

Ronan. :D
"Charlie, sir."
"I don't address my firemen by their Christian names, son. Give me your surname."
"Darling, sir."

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:44 am

Good to see you getting some steam time in Ronan, Like the bridges and that coal stage really is good.
Grant.

cooltrain
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by cooltrain » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:26 am

Here is how my Billy "George" looks at the moment.
IMG_8616-min.JPG
IMG_8616-min.JPG (473.57 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
IMG_8630-min.JPG
IMG_8630-min.JPG (463.26 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
I decided to dismantle it for a repaint, fitting a DJB whistle and a new body. This loco has been somewhat thrashed having now rolled over 4 times (Wasn't my fault I swear)! :oops: But its gotten back up every time and kept running faultlessly. I decided that it was time the loco got the attention and care it deserved. The body had become slightly twisted and I wanted to make a new one with a cab with a closed backplate instead of the open back.

I also wanted to have a look at the burner which had began to sound different. Upon inspection I found that the end of the burner appears to have melted (which I made a post about under the live steam section). I've been unable to figure out why myself, does anyone here have any ideas?
IMG_8618-min (1).JPG
IMG_8618-min (1).JPG (470.57 KiB) Viewed 5634 times
Anyways, hopefully George will be running again soon with a new look!

Ronan.
"Charlie, sir."
"Darling, sir."

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:46 am

Good work Mate. looking forward to seeing "George" running on my line soon!
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Some fantastic bridges

cooltrain
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by cooltrain » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:31 pm

G'day folks!
I once again realised it had been far too long since I posted anything on here. Progress has been slow at the moment as I've been busy with school and much bigger railways. I volunteer at 4 railways around the place, which keeps me very busy along with the ever increasing school work load! I was also on holiday in the UK last month so that stopped me from making any progress. Was at the Great Southern Steam Up, was good to catch up with Grant, Graeme briefly and many others on the weekend. I decided it was time I get back into finishing my railway! With summer fast approaching here, I think it's about time I got the track finished. Its been far too long since I started it. I'll upload some photos during the week of what I've been up to, hopefully there will be trains going up and down the Selby Granite Tramway soon!
-Ronan. :thumbright:
"Charlie, sir."
"Darling, sir."

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:45 am

Great to hear Progress Mate, Hope to see more soon, We have Better get started on FInishing up for Opening Run soon at my place.

Mitch :thumbright:

cooltrain
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by cooltrain » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:21 am

G'day all again,
Been chipping away at things on the railway. I now have a one month deadline to finish it, thanks to some of my friends... :lol:

Just put in an order with Mr. Binnie for 30 tipper wagons! I'll have something to keep me busy with then. I've also got 3 Binnie GVT wagons given to me by a friend which I'm going to repaint and turn into firewood wagons. There is a pair of 4 wheel IP engineering VOR coaches I have to build too.

I've done some more track work too, built the head shunt on the top yard and the bottom yard has now been installed and I'm working on the balloon loop at the end of it. I'll post some photos of it when I get the chance.

Ronan.
"Charlie, sir."
"Darling, sir."

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:25 am

cooltrain wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:21 am G'day all again,
Been chipping away at things on the railway. I now have a one month deadline to finish it, thanks to some of my friends... :lol:

Just put in an order with Mr. Binnie for 30 tipper wagons! I'll have something to keep me busy with then. I've also got 3 Binnie GVT wagons given to me by a friend which I'm going to repaint and turn into firewood wagons. There is a pair of 4 wheel IP engineering VOR coaches I have to build too.

I've done some more track work too, built the head shunt on the top yard and the bottom yard has now been installed and I'm working on the balloon loop at the end of it. I'll post some photos of it when I get the chance.

Ronan.
Let me know if you need any more bits of track mate! always happy to help whenever its needed. :) let me know how you go with the Binnie tippers because im wanting some more kits to build apart from the IP Ezee kits i haven't finished yet.