New Layout

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Tony Bird
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

New Layout

Post by Tony Bird » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi,

The Cardiff Model Engineer Society has a small garden railway known as the Quarry Railway as well as its two larger garden railways. The models used on this railway are mostly converted toys. This small railways has very tight curves and for some time I had thought of making a small table top railway for use at exhibitions where I could use the converted toys along with my larger Rhydypenderyn 16mm Scale layout. To this end while visiting the Great Central Model Railway Show earlier this year I purchased some tin plate track which had 12" (300mm) curves. I don't know the make of the track but it must be very collectable as the eight sections involved coast a whole pound!

So over the last couple of days the track was screwed on to some 9mm plywood covered with floor tiles. There is a video at:

https://youtu.be/SXDQ1PpqKnE

The toys mostly come from charity shops and are powered with inexpensive 1.5-3 volt can motors

Regards Tony.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Re: New Layout

Post by LNR » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:17 am

Your railways must keep kids (big kids too!) entertained for hours Tony. Love the white dog train, specially the "Tail" end carriage.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:21 am

Brilliant and cheap too. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:42 am

The floor tiles give the layout an 'Alice In Wonderland' look, will grab the kids attention definitely.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:17 am

Nice job Tony.
Hope everything to see it in the flesh soon.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!