A Light Railway for the Western Dales

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: A Light Railway for the Western Dales

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon May 10, 2021 11:09 pm

I can't believe it's been 4 years since I contributed to this thread about my line, but I'm going to try to make amends, and by necessity that means much of this is catch up. The initial spur for the railway was the alleged Housedown Pottery, outside Black Burton. Keen enthusiasts set to building a railway to serve the Western Dales initially utilising much of the engineering done for the light railway that served the pottery.
Of course, for the story to hold up, I needed the remains of a pottery. As the photo in the first post in this thread shows, that initially consisted of a basic 'shell', half collapsed/demolished, constructed from 5mm foamboard scored and cut to resemble the remains of a pottery building, with small vestiges of the roof and supporting timbers remaining.
However a pottery requires a kiln, so I decided to attempt a bottle kiln. The ideal former for such a kiln would of course be a large bottle - say, a champagne Jeroboam? :scratch: Unfortunately I didn't have one, and couldn't find anyone who did :lol: so I opted instead for a standard sparkling wine bottle. I cut many blocks from 5mm foamboard, and used superglue to adhere them to the outside of the bottle
This gave me the basic shape. The corners were sanded off the 'blocks' and then the whole was covered in exterior grout to fill the gaps and tie the blocks together, and a chimney was formed at the top, completely enclosing the bottle.
As the pottery was now derelict, a rough redbrick wall was constructed to block the kiln firing entrance, and a suitable sign was handpainted to deter adventurous souls form risking life and limb. The finished result was quite effective, and so took its place on the railway, adjacent to the derelict pottery building.
Since that time (2014) both the building and kiln have been permanent fixtures on the railway (see photo below) - the kiln is now starting to show signs of deterioration which will require cosmetic work if it is to survive much longer.
Indeed so great is the concern regarding the state of the building and kiln, that we were graced with a visit by archaeologists from the well known TV programme, Time Team, who have expressed an interest in many features in the vicinity of the railway. Who knows, maybe one day Housedown Pottery will be on TV :dontknow: .
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue May 11, 2021 6:23 am

Brilliant Phil!

Presumably Messrs Harding, Robinson and Aston are modelled in Das or similar? That is some amazing scuplting technique.
Philip

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 11, 2021 8:11 am

I really do need to come and see plus run something on your line Phil. I love :love10: the kiln.
You do have a brilliant imagination and brilliantly built and painted also.

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Tue May 11, 2021 8:33 am

Brilliant. That is a delightful scenic feature.

Don

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue May 11, 2021 9:10 am

philipy wrote: ↑Tue May 11, 2021 6:23 am Brilliant Phil!

Presumably Messrs Harding, Robinson and Aston are modelled in Das or similar? That is some amazing scuplting technique.
Philip,
I can claim no credit for the moulding of the figures, they are from Pendle Valley, who I believe have taken over Rob Bennett's moulds. I did however, paint them. Raksha is there as well, as usual on her knees in a small trench!
Phil

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue May 11, 2021 1:03 pm

FWLR wrote: ↑Tue May 11, 2021 8:11 am I really do need to come and see plus run something on your line Phil. I love :love10: the kiln.
You do have a brilliant imagination and brilliantly built and painted also.
Thank you Rod,
I sometimes think people who see the railway often need to have some imagination too :lol:
You will be welcome to come up as soon as I have a date in mind. :thumbup:
Phil

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue May 11, 2021 1:19 pm

Just to finish about the pottery, this is the bottle kiln today. Looking decidedly ragged, and some of the lower blocks have parted company - I think thanks to birds foraging for insects etc. The pale edges are a result of friction from nearby bushes and plants. Considering it's been exposed to the elements for 7 years now, I don't think it's fairing too badly.
Phil

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue May 11, 2021 1:35 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Tue May 11, 2021 1:19 pm Just to finish about the pottery, this is the bottle kiln today. Looking decidedly ragged, and some of the lower blocks have parted company - I think thanks to birds foraging for insects etc. The pale edges are a result of friction from nearby bushes and plants. Considering it's been exposed to the elements for 7 years now, I don't think it's fairing too badly.
I think it now looks properly aged, nothing beats nature to make things look old (I just checked by looking in the mirror ;))

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue May 11, 2021 3:51 pm

Jimmyb wrote: ↑Tue May 11, 2021 1:35 pm
I think it now looks properly aged, nothing beats nature to make things look old (I just checked by looking in the mirror ;))
:lol: I take my glasses off when looking in the mirror. Not a wrinkle to be seen :roll:
Phil

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 12, 2021 8:29 am

We would love to come when we are able Phil.

The last photo of your kiln looks even better I feel. The moss and the rest of the encroaching greenery do make it look more like an abandoned building...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed May 12, 2021 8:52 am

Love the kiln, weathered or otherwise. And that triangular junction too...

Andrew.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon May 17, 2021 12:48 pm

Andrew wrote: ↑Wed May 12, 2021 8:52 am Love the kiln, weathered or otherwise. And that triangular junction too...

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew. The triangular junction allows many combinations of route to be followed, and also makes changing direction very easy too.
Phil

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 am

Some lovely work there fellah. I'm also loving your quadrupedal admirers.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:23 am

Sylvian Tennant wrote: ↑Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:56 am Some lovely work there fellah. I'm also loving your quadrupedal admirers.
Thank you. And, indeed! We've had to resort to a short electrified fence to discourage each years herd from eating the ballast, line, scenery, etc etc🀣
Phil