Cats and Dogs Railway (austrian narrow gauge)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Cats and Dogs Railway (austrian narrow gauge)

Post by FWLR » Thu May 17, 2018 6:02 am

That's brilliant Daan. Love the turntable, are you going to motorise it. :thumbright:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:38 am

That pretty little loco looks right at home there Daan. Thanks for sharing.
PS no dip on that turntable!

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 pm

Enjoyed that video Daan. Very realistic speed as the little loco picked its way carefully around the curves.
Great choice of plants along the lineside too.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sun May 20, 2018 3:52 am

Thanks for the kind remarks! Regarding the turntable, I've placed a bolt through the axle which keeps it in place when a locomotive rolls onto it. The turntable itself will stay manual, since I'm always around when it's in use. I like to keep things as simple as possible.. :D
The best thing about the slow running locomotive is that she maintains this speed without inertia device and on manual control. The levelled track is really paying off! I've also cast the thin bridgesupports which I used to level out the bridge in concrete, giving the bridge a more solid look. This weekend I'll hopefully be able to test the other loco's.. 8)
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Tue May 22, 2018 7:53 pm

Today was the big tryout of all the other locomotives on the layout. I had a batteryproblem on the small red diesel, it wasn't charging due to a faulty charger, so that one only plays a very small part in the clip.
The rest of the locomotives + departure and arrival at the station, turning by turntable and all the new nice places to look at on the new parts on the layout are in this video.

All loco's run without hitting something, though I need to move one of the waterfeeders in the station and with the roundhouse locomotive I can only use the turntable from one side, since her profile is wider than the other loco's.

Hope you enjoy

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue May 22, 2018 8:25 pm

You have a wonderful railway there Daan but I believe an inertia wagon would reign your locos in a bit so they run at a steady speed along all the great little curves and bridges.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:37 am

No inertia wagon yet, but a small goods service train with some coaches for the locals today. Along the flatcar with tractor, I also made a wagon with firewood and an open gravel wagon. The firewood wagon is filled up with 2 blocks of wood with a lot of split branches glued on top of it. In Switserland a lot of the heating is done by woodburning, so a firewood wagon is well on its place here. The gravel wagon is filled with a styrofoam form with glued cement on top of it. It makes it a lot less heavy then when I would have filled it all the way up.

The small Regner loco handles the heavy cars with ease, pottering along with 1 bar of pressure in the boiler.. it's a great little locomotive. :D

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Very nice little loco Daan, love the rolling stock too, those coaches look superb. That Tractor is unusual too…

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 am

I really like your little railway Daan, you've achieved so much in a small space. Nicely filmed too - but the shots of the trains going over the bridges terrify me! Has anything ever fallen in?!

All the best,

Andrew.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Andrew wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 am ...but the shots of the trains going over the bridges terrify me! Has anything ever fallen in?!..

Andrew.
Thanks Andrew, No, nothing has fallen in yet. The curves are not that sharp and have a slight angle inwards. I had a derailment once on the back of the layout on the sharp R1 curve where the landscape also drops about 1 1/2 ft, I luckily could catch the engine.. :roll:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Dampfbahn Schwägalp

Post by daan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:53 pm

Hello Everyone,

It's a while back since I posted something about my small railway. It still is alive and in use, with small aditions now and then. Since I had a major house rebuild and a renovation of our old campervan, not much has been added to the railway, except a church ruin on the mountain and decent tunnel portals. Nevertheless, running is still a lot of fun.

Hope you enjoy the video too,
Cheers, Daan.

philipy

Post by philipy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:28 pm

Welcome back Daan, it has been a long time, but good to see your railway is alive and kicking. :)
Philip

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:37 pm

You certainly know how to make the most of the available space. Plenty for the eye to feast upon ..... :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:29 pm

Looking good Daan - inventive use of pot sherds and an old tile(?) for the church. And that engine runs very sweetly on manual control. :thumbright:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:19 am

Thanks everyone,

The church ruin is made from tiles and small brickstones I collected on a spot where the floods of 1953 washed away some farmhouses (I live in Zeeland, Holland). The land was not retrieved and the dam built further inland. The houses where never rebuild so the bricks and tiles are now small islands running dry at low tide. It's very nice building material, but you need to soak the stones in fresh water a few days before you use them, since they've been in the sea for a long time.. The church tower is an old milestone which I found when they started to build new houses behind our house a few years ago.

Cheers, Daan.