Cats and Dogs Railway (austrian narrow gauge)

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Cats and Dogs Railway (austrian narrow gauge)

Post by markoteal » Fri May 04, 2018 9:43 pm

daan wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:29 pm Well, to my surprise the mrs didn't make a big point of me building the new extension. I had to promise a few new garden chairs and then it was fine.. :lol: :lol: But I had to promise that I won't convert the whole garden into a railway.. I promised I won't do that (yet) and crossed my fingers behind my back.. 8)
Sounds familiar! :lol:
Where did I put that uncoupler?

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sat May 05, 2018 6:08 am

Yesterday evening I did make an upgrade to the turntable. It wasn't that stable on it's bearing as I hoped, so I drilled a hole through the middle of the bridge and the axle of the bearing and put a bolt through it. On the underside I placed 2 belleville washers which pull the bridge onto the bearing. Now it stays fixed. I should have done that in the first place, but I was too lazy :lol: :lol:
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat May 05, 2018 9:15 am

Any chance of a video of the turntable and locos in action?

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sat May 05, 2018 10:34 am

The more I see of your line Daan the more I love it. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Like others I like your Turntable, simple and does the job well…. :thumbright:

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat May 05, 2018 11:54 am

Great looking extension - glad you got planning permission for it from the Household Authorities ;)

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sun May 06, 2018 8:20 am

A video will come, but yesterday I took down the old stationboard and started rebuilding that area of the railway. Instead of wood, I made a brick wall with a wide top supporting the track and left the rest open for landscaping. The bridge will be altered a bit (grows longer) to hook up at the end of the retaining wall. the whole big curve will be on the bridge now.

Apart from that a lot of the line will be evened out, since the old stationboard was rotten, a lot of the track wasn't level anymore, so that will be sorted as well (as far as possible).
Soon the line will be operational again for a video. 8)

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon May 07, 2018 7:49 am

Hope so Daan, I love seeing your line. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Tue May 08, 2018 10:18 pm

Today (and the days before) a whole lot of building going on. The sagged wooden board is gone, it's underframe is gone and in it's place are concrete tiles and a stone wall. The triangle is on a concrete pavement slab and the bridge has been altered to better fit in the new situation, although a new section has to be made to fit in between. This section has for now been filled with some aluminium. One of the piers has been relocated as well.

The old station has been moved down and is now a mountain hotel near the lake, I'll call it "Berggasthaus Forelle". I've filled the area in between with soil, rockery and plants. Track is (almost) completely leveled out and the curves on the bridge have a slight tilt inwards on it, to prevent possible racing locomotives to tip over.

The bridge supports have temporarily been leveled out by washers, if everything is according to plan, they will be changed for more substantial filling pieces later on.

I've tried a few battery locomotives to test the track, but no steamers yet.

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Very effective use of rocks and plants Daan. Good planting makes the railway seem at home in its surroundings (and earns you points with 'the boss'). I really like your viaduct on its stone piers too.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 am

Agree the planting is very effective and the line looks so just right. Also agree the viaduct looks brilliant on the stone pillars. :thumbright:

Watch out for those Croc’s though….. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 09, 2018 11:40 am

Very good use of what looks like a restricted space. The planting and scenic features enhance the line.

The improvements carried will bo doubt provide better running and enjoyment.

Ian
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed May 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Looking good Daan. Can I just ask what make is the double slip? It seems to be less sharply curved than the LGB version.

Rik
------------------------

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for the compliments! @Rik, it is a normal LGB double slip. They are 22,5 degrees (R1 is 30) and the length is 1,5 straight, so 45 cm. It is about R3 I guess.
In my railtool for the computer I don't have any double slips in R1 from LGB, they are all this size. Mine however misses the boxes to throw the switches, making it look substantial less wide.. It was an old, very cheap item which needed repairs..

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 am

daan wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:43 pm Thanks for the compliments! @Rik, it is a normal LGB double slip. They are 22,5 degrees (R1 is 30) and the length is 1,5 straight, so 45 cm. It is about R3 I guess.
In my railtool for the computer I don't have any double slips in R1 from LGB, they are all this size. Mine however misses the boxes to throw the switches, making it look substantial less wide.. It was an old, very cheap item which needed repairs..
Thanks. I always thought they were R1 and so never bothered with planning for them. A single slip would have been useful at my main station and so a double slip would give an added bonus. Must keep an eye open for a secondhand one.

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu May 10, 2018 6:43 pm

This is a great example of what can be done in a small space, great work Daan.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Thu May 10, 2018 7:41 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 7:51 am Thanks. I always thought they were R1 and so never bothered with planning for them. A single slip would have been useful at my main station and so a double slip would give an added bonus. Must keep an eye open for a secondhand one.

Rik
I've tried the configuration in Anyrail (that's the progamme I use for designing) and it's definitely R3. The 16000 track fits nicely across the radius of the double slip turnout. You could try grootspoor for one..

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Sun May 13, 2018 9:06 am

The past two days I've been working on a new bridge section in the Alpstein bridge. It lacked a section because I relocated 2 smaller sections and removed a stone pier to another spot. This left a gap of 55cm in the bridge.

My choice was to build this section a bit different than the other 4 sections. It's a longer and is in full sight all around, so I wanted this section to look attractive.

It's built of aluminium, 55cm long which makes the bridge total a 175cm in length. The bridge is 57cm at it's highest point.

On the bridge I made guardrails from old trackpieces, to keep loco's on the bridge if they would derail, but merely it's an extra visual spot of interest.

The washers on the piers have to be cast in concrete yet, but these washers allow me to get the hight of the track just right. I've painted the bridge the same colour as the rest of the bridge pieces by now.

If the pictures don't work, please refresh your screen. It helps most of the time.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun May 13, 2018 9:20 am

It’s full of visual interest now Dann, but even more is so now. :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun May 13, 2018 10:28 am

I have only just noticed the long catch rails you use, good idea.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Love the bridge says a bridge builder. Was the curved base pre-curved or have you bent it yourself ?

I have to say I do like open bridges.