Vale of White Horse Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
JonPotter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Vale of White Horse Railway

Post by JonPotter » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:26 pm

ge_rik wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 pm Looking really good so far. Hopefully won't be too long before your first train starts winding its way through the shrubbery.

Rik
Thanks Rik! Me neither - looking forward to the summer already :)

Quick update today. Work in the garden has been progressing but has mostly been focused around expanding the patio. However, we have had a large delivery of timber which will provide the cladding to the block work and form the shed. I don't expect much progress over the next week outside but hopefully following that we will be able to crack on again.

A quick photo of the current state of play of the shortened VOR Bogie coach. This has now been mostly complete and is now just waiting some passengers and fitting of the roof and a few details.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:42 pm

That is a beautifully made kit and well painted too.... very tidy work which will be enhanced by the addition of passengers.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:21 am

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:42 pm That is a beautifully made kit and well painted too.... very tidy work which will be enhanced by the addition of passengers.
I'll echo that. You sure have a steady hand and clear eye for detail. Bodes well for the future.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

JonPotter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JonPotter » Tue May 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Thank you very much both! My previous experience (around 10 years ago) with 16mm kit building was just to bash kits together too quickly, but a couple of forays into 009 (two layouts - Plas Halt & Dinas Jc) have taught me a bit more patience...

Well, it has been a bit quiet in this thread but we have made some progress with the railway... Not as much as I would like, and we have postponed the opening back into July. Nonetheless, we should still have some track down in early June.

A few photos by way of an update:

First, a more up to date plan (just a very quick doodle - off work ill today and bored....) just to refresh your memories! Trackplan a little subject to change, and the eagle eyed of you will notice the steaming bay has moved!

The decking to support the Wantage station area is now in. The station area will be felted, with the track ballasted on top. As can be seen towards the left of the picture there is a manhole cover which will mean that the station is in three sections, with a lift out board in the middle to allow access if ever required without ripping up the boards.

The front of the triangle is being covered with straight boarding, as can be seen here. This will give a chunk of planting in front of the track, so the line can run in between some small trees in this section.

The main item to be constructed recently is the shed which covers Uffington station. This is a custom built job, 9' x 7'. Unfortunately we didn't read the planning regs clearly enough and have had to spend a day cutting it down around 100mm - the picture below shows the original pitch... The boarding in front of the triangle can also be seen clearly in this view. This has now been damp-proofed & filled with soil.

I have also been beavering away on the buildings and stock. The two posted previously are now complete with glazing and lamps. Signs for the doors are still required.

And Betty's Tea Room for Woolstone station is getting there (the paintwork needs tidying up...)

Stock wise, the shortened VOR coach is ready for service:

I am also working on creating two 'Vintage' sets for the ficticious history. The first will be in a panelled livery, some of the IP coaches I had in use previously are being tarted up and will be joined by some vehicles of other shapes & sizes. I am also converting to Accucraft chopper couplings across the fleet, so these have been changed out. Here's the two which are done (one just requiring a roof):

And that concludes quite a lengthy update! I won't leave it so long again, uploading too many pictures is such a chore....

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Most impressive.... the garden is making good progress and the stock and buildings are superb. Wonderful detailing and finish, they will look superb together.

JonPotter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JonPotter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Thank you very much Peter! :)

The last few weeks have been quite busy (including being in Wales for a week), but we have made a fair chunk of progress:

Looking from Kingston Lisle (foreground) down towards Uffington (shed). The wood has all been coated (some of it needs a second coat). You'll note the trackbed is complete going into the shed on the left.

A closer look at the triangle. The track will be nominally laid on the blocks; the crescent area to the bottom of the picture will be planted with small trees, allowing the train to snake through, while the area closer to the shed will most likely be a farm scene.

Looking the other way (past our very patchy growing grass!), the boards of Wantage station are mostly ready for track; these will be fronted with a small picket fence or similar. The pond has been dug out and started again. I've laid madoc blocks around the front and a small wall down the back; these will take the spoil and then liner. The bridge was to be a viaduct but will not be slightly different - time will tell....

Finally a shot of the steaming bay area. There will be some 16" OSB on top of the posts against the wall, giving a two track steaming bay - in time this will become a shed scene. The running line comes out of the shed and curves around towards the triangle area.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:26 pm

More great progress, you might think it slow but it is clearly planned and well executed.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:53 am

Coming along in leaps and bounds. As Peter has said, you obviously have a plan in mind and it shows.
Grant.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:50 am

Looks like cracking good progress on all fronts. Won't be long before the first train runs.....

Rik
------------------------

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Once again I can only echo the commnets of Peter, Grant and Rik. You are making good progress (lightning pace compared to me!) The thought and planning that you are putting in before and during the early stages of construction will pay you back in spades.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

JonPotter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JonPotter » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks very much guys. I think it's one of the problems of actually living it - lots of incremental progress; when I look back through this thread there is actually a fair bit going on!

This weekend has been too hot for me to really crack on, but hopefully next weekend will be a bit better! I am considering adding a small tunnel in on the inner circuit, directly in front of the shed - but having not planned it will need to be a bit careful structurally. Food for thought!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:10 pm

It has been ridiculously hot in Kent this weekend! :sunny:

If my garage had aircon I might of done a bit of railway work but not in this heat!

Looking forward to your railway taking shape :thumbup:

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:17 pm

looking great looks like your making very good progress

JonPotter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JonPotter » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Thanks guys. Much nicer temps this week & weekend (although still a little hot in the sun!).

Anyway, we're getting closer.

The boards are now complete for the loop section. Steaming bay on the right, and a temporary bridge on the left which will be replaced as time permits. A curved point has been built for the entrance to the shed in order to maximise the length of the loop. Apologies for the blurry pic - didn't notice when on my phone....

Looking the other way, the trackbed as far as Kingston Lilse has been mortared, and the beds starting to be filled with some decent soil. A bit more required. Oh and wait, what's that in the background?

I felt obliged to lay some track (30') and run a loco up and down. 'Brockhurst' was to hand...

Ginny seemed interested!

Plan is to lay the track this week as far as Kingston Lisle. There is a fair bit to do in the shed still to allow this to happen but we're getting there!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:49 pm

I am sure your cat will find many sun traps to sleep in on your line once finished, mine use to bless her...

Good work so far, keep it up and good luck with the rest of it :thumbup:

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:06 am

"Must have been hard to have felt obliged to run a loco" ;) :lol:. No stopping you now.
Grant.

JonPotter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JonPotter » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Indeed, we now have some actual track down!

A fair bit of work yesterday and today has now seen the track laid for the first section. The track is a mixture of old and second hand & some of it is very golden... will weather down. Mostly LGB throughout. Overscale but durable - will be ballasted in due course.

The steaming bay, looking back into the shed. Note the hatch added where the track goes in (needs painting), and the custom curved point. I need a RH point to lay the second track - have two LH's over but not a RH annoyingly. Lack of planning!

Looking out of the other side of the shed, back towards the garden. Track layout in the shed is a loop and two 6' sidings.

Looking over the temporary bridge to the gravel boards.

General overview, my dad at the controls!

Hope to landscape and plant a bit over the weekend.

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:01 am

Looking good. Your hard work is being rewarded with some Train running time.
Regards Graham.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:47 pm

all looking brilliant

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:19 am

Great progress in such a short space of time. Looks like plenty of operational potential.

Rik
------------------------