The G&DLR begins.

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:42 pm

That's a cracking piece of work. You don't half see some tacky and bodged level crossings about (not on here of course!) Yours looks really great, well researched, well built and well detailed. It's all beginning to come together for your line now. I bet you're looking forward to the plants filling out next spring.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

dizzysteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by dizzysteamer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:46 pm

I love the set up such a lot going on in such a tight space, well done on the crossing it certainly looks right. :D

We have opted for laying our track on thermal blocks for now but but I like the idea of the moss invading the track it will look better and better as things grow.
we need A rethink maybe.
A proper job

dizzysteamer :D
Amateur engineer,  frustrated would be locomotive driver😊

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:38 pm

Unfortunately true...not that anyone here have something less than superb structures and line side items. But I have seen some horrors on my investigations.

In the end you've spent a lot of time and money in a scale where you can make these thing far more easily than the smaller scales. Though..each to their own and if it brings enjoyment regardless I'm defiantly not one to shirk my nose up. Plus I favour style over practical and the crossing works but is not perfect in that way.

As time and money are limited, so all I have is a quickly oval so I really wanted to try and make it quite interesting to look at as the operation is limited. I thought back to my first train set and the bits that included (such as level crossing, telegraph poles and mile/includes posts).

thermal blocks will give a nice level line free from a lot of the issues I face with it being on a wooden/reclaimed brick support but given the basic outline -and my first attempt- I'm willing to live with it.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:40 pm

great looking signs and a nice little line great fun keep it up

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:34 pm

Cheer guys - just finished off my new coal train. (more of that in the rolling stock section). But no sooner had i went to light Vyv up then it p*****d it down.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 pm

great pictures and a good long load looking great

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:21 pm

Phase VI of Operation Small but jolly garden railway is now underway.

So far I have several Modeltown building kits to make up including a signal box, wooden station, stone station masters house and stone water tower. Each will be was modified to include some interior (inc lighting) and replacement parts to personalise them. I also purchased some GRS fire buckets and North Pilton Works station accessories as well as some Modeltown signs. The overall outcome will be, as my girlfriend calls it, 'shabby chic' with visual elements from Grosmont, Goathland and Andrews House Stations from railway in my local area.

Further more, I have started to make some other bits from scratch such as a footpath crossing, telegraph poles and four signals (two home and two distant). As to the current schedule - work and uni will have to take priority so deadlines will be very relaxed but here's to trying to get everything done within the next six weeks.

Just one further question I'd like to ask - does anyone do any purple/plum spray paint for a railway related project?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:27 am

Don't know any railway paints but there may be a purple in the Army Painter range. I use them a lot and they cover nicely and no nozzle clog (painful to say the least).

Alien purple is the colour - perfect for tyranids or dark elves! Suit you sir.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:39 am

No worries - cheers anyway. I think I've found one I quite like in the end.

Further updates I've done are now creating telephone pole from 3/16" wooden dowel and spare strips from IP Engineering kit frets creosoted and plated, the insulators were white beads bought from Boyes.

I've also finished the footpath across the railway too to give my "beware' some justice.

Now are the seasons are looking to change we are starting to see shoots arising which is a bit of a relief.

Station Master Nigel is more interested in his morning stretch and keeping a close eye on Elsie (or other cat) as we begin to give her a little more freedom out of the house.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Coming together very quickly Mr T, are those bare stone/concrete patches to home buildings?

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:34 am

Aye hopefully once my essays are done for this semester I can put a little more effort to get the station buildings and signal boxes completed. As they are model town, they look the part but have no interiors (save the signal box) some I'm going to be chopping around with some wood and bits to rectify that.

The bricks are actually mainly to provide a stepping base in case (and inevitably does) an engine comes off the track and to help clear debris. Saying that though, I can see the tree having some ones eye out. (hopefully not mine). Though there is one next to the track which will be a base for the signal box.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:39 pm

great telegraph poles and I do like all your little signs

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:58 pm

Cheers Jim

They may need a slight tweak as the glue I used for the beads hasn't been too effective from feline intrusion.

Its getting to the exciting bit now as buds are really starting to sprout up.

I the next couple of weeks we could have signals and buildings up but I'm not putting a time limit up for those as I seem to go past my dead lines.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:03 pm

Today, I made a start on the buildings. All my buildings are from ModelTown and unless scratch built will continues be as I quite like the quirkiness of them - plus they seem easy to build and are ripe for mods.

First up is the wooden station building. As I plan to have lights inside of them I decided to create an interior including a particion to separate the waiting room from the ticket office.

more to come soon :)

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:17 pm

looking good .great progress keep it up .

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:33 pm

Looking good - and I'm planning to get one of those station buildings, but in brick so will be watching your build with interest!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:13 pm

Top stuff - will be looking forward to see yours too. This building above all seems great for adding stuff to it.

One of the reasons for the interior was that I'm going to be adding lights to it. I have a station masters house too but I don't think I'll be doing anything as intensive as this build (curtains help everything!)

I've managed to make some further headway today as a student rep meeting was avoided since my missus locked me in the house (accidentally, she says!)

The doors don't really match the outside design but I'm not too fussed about that. I've made a table for the booking office and some benches for the waiting room.

Most of the interior work is ready for painting all that I needs making is a small fireplace to add logic or the chimney hopefully this should come about in the next few days.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:34 pm

More work on the station building itself.

All of the major components are now built up ready for painting and this partial mock up shows how some of the layout will look.

One of the final major builds was the fireplace - I think there should be enough room for the door to open...not that it does in reality.

One further component that I had almost gotten was the chair for the station master!

Tomorrow should hopefully start seeing the interior paint jobs taking affect.

Does anyone have anyone have any images of station master's desks so I can add legitimate clutter onto it?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:44 am

Sylvian Tennant:122578 wrote:
Does anyone have anyone have any images of station master's desks so I can add legitimate clutter onto it?
Just as long as there is enough room for a mug of tea I wouldn't bother too much about it.
Looking very good so far, the painting will really bring it to life.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Brilliant - blimey you are setting an example for this that i'm not sure i'll be able to follow (gulps involuntarily!) - When I've a mo I'll post up pics of the pub I built from Modeltown, not in the same level of detail as yours, but like yours I have modded it to make it more pub like.

Will post over the weekend
Where did I put that uncoupler?