The G&DLR begins.

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: The G&DLR begins.

Post by FWLR » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:34 am

That is a superb signal box. It's extremely lifelike and looks very good in the dark also with the lights. brilliant idea with the solar panel.

Can I ask where do you buy your foam board and how exactly do you put the wording to look for them. I have just put foam board and I don't get the stuff that is used for modelling. I get it with the paperbacking that if you try to take it off, destroys the board.......

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:54 pm

Hello.

There's some lovely modelling going on here! Having recently made a signal box and interior myself I know how much work is involved - yours is fantastic! Love the water tower too.

Sorry to hear you've had such a difficult time lately - I hope the modelling and spending time with your son are helping.

With best wishes,

Andrew.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:34 pm

For some reason I've missed out on this thread since the beginning of October. I do hope you are overcoming the unexpected loss of your mum.

You've certainly lived up to your plan to keep yourself busy. That water tower is really great, especially the way you've painted the stonework. And now that exquisite signal box! Stunning!

Your railway is really taking shape and looking great.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:39 pm

Hello everyone - apologies. I've been very busy as of late. Thank still for the kind words regarding my mum. Time is helping little by little and there's nothing more to do than keep on moving but it is still keenly felt.

The railway has had a bit of a growth spurt since I was last around - the wagons have been steadily gaining ground but I was starting to feel a little burnt out with the amount of detailing I've been putting into them so off to the side they went and in the last few weeks my attention has been moving towards giving the line a new look.

Looking back the tunnel and bridge were in a place which - although not unattractive - was hard to fully appreciate them and was a nightmare when my loco (without fail) would derail. The pond under the bridge struggled to sustain life and it looked more like a beck behind a council estate which wasn't the intention. Out they went and now that part of the line looks more like a valley which is more appealing - though a few more ferns would help matters but since this picture was taken there has been some planting. The fairy houses are still there dedicated to the little one's nana - but I need three more to make a proper coven ;) .

The sheer effort and pride I had in the bridge and tunnel dictated that should not be scrapped so instead I wanted to add them to the new extension the main components were broken down and washed up.

The station area was awash with young trans passers running on the line and causing a distinct nuisance for the station master so a new fence was installed whilst the upgraded continued. This will hopefully be painted up in the near future which small metal signs to add to the ambiance - it would also help to have the station building there but that will be the next job.

Thanks to the kind efforts of a fellow member I had some more track to play around with. The overall idea was allow easier access to parts but on a practical level but also allow more space to get reasonable close to the train which my son really enjoys watching. What's more I have been able to add a much more practical steam up bay with one additional storage/goods siding. The loop was also extended as the previous one only allowed for a three/five wagon train which was nigh on unless for my plans.

The extension was created over the old veg patch - the ground was just clay so we struggled to grow much there plus the light was the best for veg - beetroot seemed to love it though. The good thing was the ground was firm enough to let up put the line on though so work began.

The ponds were moved to the extension allowing for the bridge to be included and also add some botanical interests. The line here is slightly raised which helps with kneeling as my knee aren't what the used to be - plus I'm not sure a steep incline would be in everyone's interests.

Back to the tunnel and bridges - I wasn't 100% happy with their original outcomes. There some short coming with the designs which needed amending. The tunnels wings were angels so they could never stand on their own and the bridge had it own design logics which was picked apart. The tunnels can now stand on their own which their new wings and the abutments on the bridge now hold the girders in place and overall it just looks better. The surfaces were panel beat with the ball side of a lump hammer and some sanding paper. The effects are vastly improved but it was not without issue. something I've be happy to expand upon is asked.

The tunnel itself doubles as a rockery and with time, I'm hoping the plants make it look a little less like a haphazard job.

New and (hopefully) more practical point lever were created too, as all but one succumbed to the ravaged for a heavy handed toddler and father too .

There's pretty much is so far. I'm happy with the outcome. There is space to be able to walk around and admire the trains from a close up distance and different perspectives and is helps to stretch my engines legs a little bit. It is also nice to have something to sit back and admire which I did with a rum and coke in hand once the hard work was all done last night.

Next up - a new level crossing and hopefully we'll see the station all done.
Last edited by Sylvian Tennant on Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:18 pm

You've been really busy! The texturing of the 'stonework' looks very effective - please do detail the issues you had, because the finished article is most lifelike. The bridge abutments look 1:1 scale :thumbright:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:00 am

I love it. The hard work has paid off, with a much improved line. I do like the abutments too, they have made the tunnel look real.

Well done. Hopefully we will be able to see a video of your trains on the line soon.
Last edited by FWLR on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:22 am

Looks like your hard work is paying off. It'll be good to get something up and running :thumbright:

Rik
------------------------

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:52 am

Congratulations, that's looking very good indeed! A happy summer of rum and coke awaits...

Andrew.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:54 pm

Hi ST,

That's looking really good. The new loop looks very handy and the siding fits very nicely where you've layed it. I'm happy for you that you've managed to extend the line, I have no doubt at all that your enjoyment will be similarly increased, possibly not as much as the bairn's though! The extension has some twists and turns that will give some nice views of trains clattering along.

On of the things I've admired on your line for some time is that lovely bridge. I'm so pleased you liked it enough to keep it. The new location looks superb.

Beetroot are hardy little beasts, if you're missing them now that railway has compulsorily purchased the veg patch you could try growing them anywhere else in the garden. They are not unattractive plants so they won't look too out of place in a flower bed!

All the best,

SVLR Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:19 am

Thank you. It was quite a job using just hand tools but I got there in the end. I think the layout is effectively done for the moment but there's still a fair bit more to do - adding the station buildings, signals buffer stops plus other little bits which should be done in the next couple of months (before the summers out - praying). I'm considering adding another station or two halts if time and money allow. But I'm happy with one I've gotten so far. I tested the line and ironed out as best as possible some little kinks along the way - there may be some more bits to improve upon - i'e loosen fishplates on the corners but I got my lady any and my Newquida tankers around it about four or five times yesterday without a derailment which is a massive success considering those tankers are notoriously unforgiving on my tight turns. saying that the Curves and my haphazard technique for laying track means the trains have to be driven with some concentration but that's all apart of the fun.
Lonsdaler wrote: ↑Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:18 pm You've been really busy! The texturing of the 'stonework' looks very effective - please do detail the issues you had, because the finished article is most lifelike. The bridge abutments look 1:1 scale :thumbright:
TBH the only real issues that were hand were the time consuming nature of hammering in the stone effect. There was an article in the July 20 edition of railway Modeller which inspired me. The other issue was making sure the grooves for the stone work were deep enough to not disappear with all the hammering. The main and most important issue was the 5mm foamed bowed outwards when I was smashing at it. This caused a lot of bad language when trying to glue the warped abutments onto the tunnel. It wasn't a problem if gluing directly onto a new surface like with that bridge supports - but the small surface area for the wings was a different matter. I had some wooden sticks I collected after Bonfire night which I strapped to the back of the wings using UHU Expanded polystyrene cement. Once these set the wings were straight enough to glue to the tunnel mouths. The added advantage was that it was another surface to glue it seems to have worked quite well. I should have taken photos but I was just trying to power through it.
Soar Valley Light wrote: ↑Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:54 pm Hi ST,

That's looking really good. The new loop looks very handy and the siding fits very nicely where you've layed it. I'm happy for you that you've managed to extend the line, I have no doubt at all that your enjoyment will be similarly increased, possibly not as much as the bairn's though! The extension has some twists and turns that will give some nice views of trains clattering along.

On of the things I've admired on your line for some time is that lovely bridge. I'm so pleased you liked it enough to keep it. The new location looks superb.

Beetroot are hardy little beasts, if you're missing them now that railway has compulsorily purchased the veg patch you could try growing them anywhere else in the garden. They are not unattractive plants so they won't look too out of place in a flower bed!

All the best,

SVLR Andrew
Thank you - it's odd how such a simple change has really added to the effect of it. It's really opened up the viewing points and makes it so much more interesting. The little fellah loves running up and down the line watching the train run along.

If you look carefully on the bridge you'll see some graffiti from my young tare away after I absentmindedly left it on the floor one day. I was going to try and remove it but my other half claims his his way of helping daddy and I should show it off. I couldn't really argue.

One little addition is a level crossing which allows crossing over the track to the viewing points - done both for practical and aesthetic reasons. I was going to try and make a small bridge but I really didn't have the space for it. Instead of just glueing them down which never worked I screwed the planks to the track - also two blocks of wood were cut from a spare plank I had, then wrapped them in roofing felt. I MIGHT make some gates for it - about the side of the fence but that will for another day.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:03 am

I do like that level crossing and once it has weathered it will just blend in nicely.

I do understand the itch to add crossing gates but personally I have resisted the temptation in a similar location - SWMBO's feet are none to choosy about where they go and even mine have been known to be absent minded! :lol: :lol:

I settled for "Ungated Crossing" signs.
Philip

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:58 am

I think so too - I ummed and arred but I think the effort and outcome wouldn't really justify the expense. I'm looking at the old 50's signs with the triangles on top. I have some ply wood just need the wooden battens.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

The G&DLR continues

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:15 pm

After a few runs on the line with different stock and some tweaking (with more to come no doubt) the extension/rebuild has been a success - bar the obligatory derailments every so often. I did not lie when I said the line has to be driven.

Anyway. -since they last saw service the station building had taken a pounding with being put in the garden, then packed away, then spending a good year twiddling their thumbs in a backyard. The original plywood interiors very quickly gave up the ghost and proved a valuable learning experience. So out with the old wood and in with the new Foamex I had lying around. The interiors will be completely rebuilt with new wood panelling being varnished rather than painted and foamex bases along with other bits. So far only floors have been done but watch this space.

The Station Master's house will have a basic interior added to the living room and this will be the only part of it lit up at night (inc the lamp I had on the outside). I won't go the whole way with it due to sheer effort and also I plan to add some netting again but just enough to suffice.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Re: The G&DLR continues

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:27 am

Work on the station continues.

So far the original wood panelling has been removed and replace in the waiting room/ticket office. Rather than paint then as I did before, I'm going to slap on some of the varnish I've been using. I have two colours original oak and dark teak - I THINK (TBH I don't actually know I'll have to update on that later) I'm finding using varnish gives a far more ornate finish to the models. Also the doors have been remade to reflect the exterior ones as the previous doors bared no relevance. I wouldn't be too brother but as I plan to have the roof removable and to add the solar lights like my signal box I think it's only fair to give it a little more effort second time round.

I possible with all some more bits of wood - especially around the hole thing (technical term) where tickets are exchanged.

Next up are some seats for the awaiting passengers and a table with bits and pieces for the station master. I'm trying to find images of general ticket offices to see what I may need to include - if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:40 pm

Aren't the details just the deepest time-sinkholes? :roll: Well worth it though, looks great. :salute:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:51 pm

Generally, you could have a 16mm scale wagon or building built, painted and ready to roll in about two hours. Then you go "what if I add this? what if I add that?" and six month's later you've just got super detailed bits still hanging about.

Thanks though, tbh it's not much different from before (again a massively extended built) but with some small changes to improve on the original.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:27 pm

I'm sure it will be time well spent. It's already looking pretty darn fine to me!

Rik
------------------------

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:25 am

I love the work on the interior you are setting new standards here.

Don

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:25 am

That looks brilliant so far and it adds to the charm of station buildings.

How the heck did you cut a hole in the side wall though, that's one job that needs nerves of steel doesn't it. I didn't have one in my station waiting room when I got mine from Modeltown.

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:01 pm

Thank you everyone. Hopefully once it's done I'll share pictures of them at night.

The centre partition was actually my own creation from foamex. The original was plywood so it was fairly easy - I'm going to cut it down so I can add a false roof. The only thing I would say about Modeltown is there isn't much in the way interiors. I wouldn't say it's a problem per say - you'll barely be looking into them in most cases and the only reason I've done it is due to said lighting plus I'm just into adding generally unnecessary extra details.