The G&DLR begins.

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:20 pm

looking good

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:23 pm

hello chaps and chappesses.

Here's the station building so far. Not complete my any means but well on the way. All that's really left to do is paint the roof and chimney, add the little details to the interior & exterior, glaze the windows and add signage and posters around it. The fire buckets are from GRS with table salt sprinkled over superglue and painted Revell Africa Sand/Brown. i decided to leave the canopy and seating off as I already have some to place elsewhere on the station Grosmont doesn't have a canopy. plus i felt they looked a little toylike in appearance.

As you can see I've added some lighting - but in the form of pound shop battery realities which give a lovely warm flicker - they are very easily removable and due to the height of the building itself in relation to the windows don't obscure anything inside. I bought a load with this in mind - as well as lighting my future signals and carriages.

I may also consider slots for the roof as this weather recently could see the roof itself exploring next doors garden. Also on consideration is guttering as it adds some detail and logic to the building itself.

Once this is done I shall start work on the tower tower and Staton masters house as they are both represent Stonework so can paint them both at the same time.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:01 pm

great building I like the idea with the lights and I love the colours you have painted it

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Station Building complete! well almost (i'll probably be almost forever)

But for all intensive purposes it's done. All that's needed is some clutter for the station masters desk and some figure (something maybe Doctor Who related ;) before Capaldi shuffles off)

The bits I had considered putting on I ended up just adding as it'd be irritated by them.

I'm quite happy with the outcome but now onwards! to the station masters house. Apologies for all the pictures of stuff you may have seen before.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:58 pm

That's looking really good fella. I'm so impressed with the internal detail. The blackboard must have been a mind bender!

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:52 am

Cheers mate :)

Yeah, it took a couple of paint overs and applications to get how I liked it lol!

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 pm

looking very good I do like the office tickets signs keep up the good work

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Thank you jim :)

I've now began the next phase of Danla Nilsie Station (a midway point between the port terminuses of Elsinore and Whittington - both of which lie just ahead of the Headquarter towns of the railway respectively)

The interior work is nowhere near as detailed as the station building - mainly due to it begin disguised by curtains and netting once it's complete.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:33 pm

That's going to b a very nice looking structure when finished and a substantial size too! From the squares on your cutting board I guess about 50cm long.... quite a beast.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 am

With any luck it will!

I took some preliminary photos in the garden to give an indication of the finished article.

Maybe the platform is a little narrow :S

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:33 pm

Maybe just slip the s/M House back to be flush with the offices and build an extension to the platform at the rear, just where the house overhangs - you won't see it and would keep the front line nice and square?
Where did I put that uncoupler?

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:30 pm

I think that'll be the best plan. I'm not wanting the station masters house to be completely flush I'll set it back a bit more than what you can here there.

In other news - I managed to get my water tower finished last night.

As ever, I'm not content with just building something out of the box so i added a 'grate' for the 'water' to 'disappear' into when not in use with a concrete surrounding. In fact tit was just a spare bit of wood from an ip engineering kit. Also I thought the original bag, looked a little - plastic so instead I cut up a small carrier back into long lengths, wrapped it round a bit of the tube that came with the kit and painted it Anthracite.

The overall outcome, I hope was to represent the water tower at Goathland.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Nice colouring to the stonework... very subtle.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 pm

That's another nice piece of work. It was a great idea to modify the bag with....... a bag! It looks very realistic. The while thing looks absolutely spot on. ;)

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 am

Cheers chaps.

It was a spur of the moment thought which turned out quite nicely.

So far some major progress has been made on the station masters house. Due to funds this may not be finished for a fair few days but overall the major work is now under way. I think the weathering was accidentally heavier than the water tower when I looked at the examples at Goathland station - this seems to be pretty accurate.

As for the model, I'll finish off the painting then put it to one side and begin work on my final kit building. The signal box.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:21 pm

I'm no expert on NYM colouring, but I think the station house stone colour looks spot on generally for weathered stone 'oop north'.
Well done.
Philip

Sylvian Tennant
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Sylvian Tennant » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:23 pm

It looks comparable even with the difference between the station building and water tower is quite parallel between the real inspirations.

Unfortunately I've lost one of my paints (reddish brown) and will have to wait until Friday to be able to pick another one up as well as other finishings for the station masters house. So until then most of my building work has ceased.

However I have made a start on some signals in the mean time. The arms are pretty much made up and the post have been cut.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:39 am

Those signal arms look nice!
Grant.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:02 pm

LNR:123289 wrote:Those signal arms look nice!
Grant.
Agreed, they do look nice.
Are the arms made of wood or is that an illusion? I'd be concerned about the effects of rain/snow/occasional sunshine?
Philip

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:57 pm

they look very good